OT Beef at the supermarket. butcher shop?

Page 2 of 2

What's your evidence that GMO-free organic tastes better? Don't forget, it doesn't matter if it tastes better to you. If you want to sell someone else on the taste, it has to taste better to them.
Cindy Hamilton

On 1/28/2014 12:12 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote: ...

There isn't any that proves that particular point. The difference is that much organic is grown in small plots more local and is therefore not picked green (or a least not nearly _as_ green) and so therefore has more natural sugars and flavors for simply that reason.
It's a conundrum -- there's no way to produce food for 300 million all in their own backyards for anything approaching affordable cost for most -- just can't happen. Except in greenhouse, you're not growing a tomato in Minnesota just now. Not everybody has a greenhouse. Hence, CA and FL and AZ and all have to grow enough for almost all and that takes varieties that can handle transport and shipping delay and all and still at least be round and red when arrive. Sure you could grow 'em in granny's garden and air express each one overnight but that's a little pricey for most.

I thought we were talking about meat.
Much organic is grown in China and shipped to the U.S. No taste advantage, and I'm dubious whether it's actually grown organically.
Cindy Hamilton

On 1/29/2014 8:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Oh, I thought they orientation had shifted, sorry -- any and every diet has some affect whether detectable or not. Milk from cows allowed to pasture on winter wheat is one very common case almost everyone should be familiar with altho these days probably are very few who could identify the cause of the particular flavor because they're so far removed from the farm to have no reference point by which to know.
The prime thing on meat I thought most were so hung up over was the possible carryover of antibiotics or perhaps growth hormones. Neither is detectable by taste test by anybody. There may well be other diet factors that change quality plus the inherent variability of one carcass to another that gets identified by association and it's that variation that gets the guilt by association.
On 1/29/2014 8:54 AM, dpb wrote:

And, specifically, the "GMO-free" got me thinking that way but I suppose you mean no Roundup-ready 'beans in the feedmix and that kind of thing.
I'll admit that as longtime rancher/farmer on 3rd generation mixed crops/cattle operation it's hard to get a mind around the stuff the "antis" can make up that mighta' coulda' possibly be that has no basis in the actual makeup of plant and/or animal genetics.
Like the fertilizer thing, N is N in the elemental form the atom doesn't "know" nor does the plant from whence it came. It just "is" what it is.

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:37:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton) wrote:

I think in China, "organic" means in the fields where the crops are grown, there are no political prisoners buried.

Bingo. The same is true about many other things. ________________

Unfortunately, there is none. Not within reasonable distance at least. We have supermarkets and independents who sell "Heavy Western Beef", whatever that may be. _________________

I quit paying attention to them when someone decided that Scotch whisky contrubuted to cancer :)
And I don't doubt that too much fat/red meat isn't good for you. A serving need not be 16 oz. _______________________

As you said...

--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 1/28/2014 10:59 AM, dadiOH wrote: ...

Have you ever asked "what ever may _that_ be???" I'm guess it's probably a politically correct version of a longer and perhaps higher quantity as well grainfed ration and therefore a higher slaughter weight than the packer targets. That would translate to higher fat content and assuming quality animals to start with, more marbling which is what has been reduced drastically by the stress on "lean cuisine".

Ayup and a glass of the Glenlivet to ye... :)

Moderation is one of the few things that cannot be overdone...
Much also has to do with the number of calories one is burning in physical exertion and all as well-an NFL lineman during training camp is a little different than an old retired computer jock, say... :)

Bakery goods and fruits and vegetables have likewise suffered. Can't remember when I had a good peach or plum. In the 90's when I was traveling in Georgia during peach season.
Micky,

I don't think much has changed. The "usual" cuts are on display and if you ring the bell the butcher will trim them or cut whatever you want off the side in his freezer. We're talking beef here. While the butcher does grind hamburger there are tubes of factory made burger which are cheaper. The butcher ground burger comes with a choice of fat content, though. There's a lot more lamb available and veal seems to be disappearing where I live. A seperate fish counter is common in a lot of the newer store. This is true in all of the chains where I live. Some of the small non-chain places still make sausage but that's now pretty rare. Pork is like beef, if you don't see it, ask.

Rib-eye syeaks are always available which means your butcher always has rib roasts, ask him. Nothing much is on sale but all the chains have satellite banks where you can take out a second mortgage and pharmacies where you can get Paxil, for shopping.
This discuusion makes me wonder???
The tV show Farm Kings is based around pittsburgh:)
I am going to stop and buy some chicken and beef and taste test it.
I do know Egglands Best eggs, make everything taste better:)
Its worth the extra buck for their eggs
bob haller wrote:

Home grown eggs are even better - and cheaper . The only down side is that boiled *really* *fresh* eggs don't peel worth a crap .
--
Snag

Probably. At least here, you can order anything you want. It might take a day to get it but the butcher might be able to cut it for you. This would only be for the better quality meats, though. Much is packaged off-site. It's all highly dependant on the store. Some have better meat departments than others. Don't expect much at WallyWorld.