OT - Bank of America

Page 1 of 5

Aparently, B of A is changing personality. Just got a letter, that my promotional rate was going up as high possibly as 27%. And that I needed to call the number, and tell them to reject the rate increase.
I did so. But, since when is it my reponsibility to tell them to keep their word?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Credit Card?
Back in the 90s I watched a show on PBS like this one:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit /
I cut up all my credit cards and haven't used one since. We only have our mortage and a small car loan left.
No need to complain about interest rates. Just arrange for an automatic deduction of the statement balance from your bank account every month. This will give you the convenience of credit cards (no need to carry cash) plus 30 days grace in paying bills, plus getting a 1% to 3%rebate on all charges. If you cannot pay your balance every month, you should not have a credit card.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

Hand a credit card company, that acts on behalf of any scum with a merchant account, a stack of presigned blank checks to have their way with my money at their leisure? I think not. No payment until I see the statement of account, and I don't care to screw with attempting to read it online. What if I am out of town the week the statement gets posted? Fixing errors is easier if they DON'T have the money yet. Once it is paid, you are mostly screwed.
I mostly could not care less about the interest rate, since I pay it off every month. But any card that tries to re-impose an annual fee will be going bye-bye. I've been strong considering dumping my green Amex for that very reason, since I seldom travel any more. But after almost 30 years, I'd feel sort of naked without it. And since I only have one other non-store card (other than the one my employer issued me.) I do need a backup.
-- aem sends...

Then you get it when you get back, just like the paper ones. Heck I can find one that is 6-9 months old a lot easier on line than in that rat's nest I laughingly call a file cabinet.

So, you take care of it just like always BEFORE you pay. My CCs all get the statement available at the same time, I look it over and dispute anything there is.
--
"Politics should be limited in its scope to war,
protection of property, and the occasional

I've heard the cash back argument but I do almost all my major shopping at Costco where we already get 2% back and they don't take credit.
I always use my debit card and the bank offers some consumer protection with ours.
I think credit cards can work well for those who use them wisely. Unfortunately, the banks appear to be playing the odds.
Master Betty wrote:

If you are a Costco member you can get a FREE Amex card. And the executive card only costs $50 more and is guaranteed to pay for itself.
Lou

We've been exec members for many years now. We've been members since 1994. I do miss the old days when they sent the money back in a check.
I was reading some comments on Costco and people were saying "It's worth it for the food court". We get ALL of our major purchases. I bought and sold four houses through them. Now that's a deal! It WAS almost like stealing. (I say "was" because the market isn't what it used to be.) I think we did 2 of my wife's cars through Costco too.
Re: Credit Cards: I just don't like messing with the "no credit card " philosophy in my family, but if it becomes a "Gotta do it Hi." thing, I'll reconsider it then. Right now, I don't encourage any debits....if you know what I mean. It's worked really well for us. I paid cash for 7 days in Rome in November through Costco... You just have to love that place.
Master Betty wrote:

Yup!!

WTF is "Costco"?
Probably close also to BJ's Wholesale club.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
h wrote:

Wow I thought the whole world knew. 500+ warehouse stores. IMHO quality is often better than Sam's club. http://www.costco.com /

Here in TN we have no Costco, no BJs, no Trader Joes. And Sam's Club is too far to drive for practicality. :(
Phisherman wrote:

You live near the edge of the earth??
Lou
Phisherman wrote:

You have to have a need, too. I heard Barbara Bush say her husband has fallen in love with Sam's. "But what am I to do with a 55-gallon drum of jalapenos?"
LouB wrote:

Another difference: Costco is unionized - Sam's is not.
HeyBub wrote:

Only a small percentage of their workforce is and those are the former price club employees. The main difference between them and sams (walmart) is unlike sams (walmart) their pay actually raises them out of official poverty status and they have real health insurance.
George wrote:

Ah, thanks for the update.
So, then, they pay their workers more and cannot buy merchandise as cheaply as the scale of Walmart provides.
Are prices higher at Costco?
HeyBub wrote:

Thats quite a leap. They aren't greedy like walmart so they don't load as much money into the truck to take back to headquarters and instead pay their employees wages above poverty level. Not sure why you are so overjoyed about the wages walmart pays its employees.

No.

Not necesarily, the wally mart execs. keep most of the money so they can keep their yachts and rolls.