OT: Bad at math? You're screwed.

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 19:24:17 -0400, Frank

I bet we all have. I know I've been duped on some things, but I really did want that so I paid the inflated price. Just as certain brands have more attraction than others because that is what we grew up with.
I know a fellow that started making the 2" carton sealing clear tape often used in industry. I forget the exact details, but name brand was selling for $1 a roll. He was at 25 and could not sell it. No one wanted to take a chance on cheap tape. When he changed the price to 90, he sold a bunch and finally sold the business and retired!

The famous case of this is Seagrams. Low priced booze doesn't sell. It's gauche to show up at a party with "rot gut".

Maybe I should try that. 2 days ago I put out some "curbside recycling"
Microwave and a el cheapo string trimmer that was put away 25 years ago with fuel in it.
"FREE
Microwave works, needs carousel platter and is smoked up inside - does not affect the ood.
Trimmer probably needs carb cleaned."
No takers but I see that at least one person stopped and looked them over.
Perhaps Ishould put a price on them. At least then the "5 finger discount" types will be tempted.
Harry K

Odd. Someone picked them up last night but...I had a zip lock bag with parts and reloads for the trimmer with the pile. They left that bag there!
Harry K

My latest fail was buying paper kitchen towels. AHA BIG roll, price only a bit higher than my regular brand. Knew I'd been had with the first use. Yep, roll was a bit bigger but teach towel was about 1/8 longer than my usual. So I paid more for "bigger" but would getLESS use.
Sorta beating them as I now cut each sheet in half.
Harry K
On Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:57:24 PM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/the-11-ways-that-consumers-are-hopeless-at-math/259479 /
My latest failure was buying extended warranties on 2 new TV's. I know they are not worth it but rational was that I only had to deal with Best Buy and wife wanted them.
As for math, I quit taking it after Calculus B as it was all degree required. My father, with only an 8th grade education, was excellent at arithmetic. My son, once a math major, who can run circles around me, milks it for anything he buys.