OT -- avoid the flu shot?

Page 1 of 2
(edited for length. Read full article on the web.) http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/blog/?tag=aluminum-in-flu-shots
Latest on the Flu Shot Scam Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010
I attended a webinar presented by Dr. Sherry Tenpenny, perhaps the country's leading expert on the dangers of vaccinations. Dr. Tenpenny sought to give the latest on the annual campaign that happens every Fall to scare people into getting flu shots.
My Better Health Update, Flu Shots: Yes or No is recommended reading for the documentation as to why flu shots are neither safe nor effective (available at http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/blog/61-flu-shots-yes-or-no ) and how to naturally protect yourself from flu and other winter infections. But here is some additional information taken from Dr. Tenpenny's webinar:
This isn't "flu season," but rather is "flu shot season" due to the extensive media propaganda aimed at selling this highly lucrative product.
"Flu season" coincides with the time of the year when people have the lowest vitamin D levels. Vitamin D deficiency from lack of sun in the winter is perhaps the primary reason for winter illnesses. At Pacific Health Center we generally suggest 4000 - 5000 i.u.'s of vitamin D per day.
Flu comes and goes, generally as a relatively minor illness, but the side-effects of flu shots can last a lifetime.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) say that the vaccine viruses need to be an exact match of the viruses in circulation to be effective. The odds of this are almost nil, since it takes a nine month process to produce flu vaccine, basing its contents on the strains active last year in SE Asia. The CDC also states that, over the past 11 years, 86% of all influenza-like illnesses were not causes by influenza viruses. Therefore, if flu shots are beneficial at all, they will only be beneficial 14% of the time.
Flu vaccine may contain the following: formaldehyde, MSG, sucrose, thimerosol, Triton X-100 detergent, and hydrocortisone.
Formaldehyde is carcinogenic in humans. Flu shots have two and a half times the formaldehyde as the level listed as "an immediate danger to life and health" by the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health.
Adjuvants like toxic aluminum in flu shots accelerate the activation of the immune system. But once the immune system is "turned on," there's no switch to turn it off. Long-term side effects are unknown. Can you spell "autoimmune disease?"
The CDC says it doesn't know how many deaths per year are actually caused by influenza, but it's not the oft-advertised 36,000. The American Lung Association says the average is 1200 per year with less than 20 children per year dying of the flu.
The Cochrane Collaborative Vaccine Project reviewed 51 studies on more than 260,000 children, concluding there was "no evidence" flu shots were more effective than a placebo. The Mayo Clinic found a higher risk of hospitalization in children who received flu shots. Cocrane also reviewed 25 reports on 60,000 adults, finding that flu shots only reduced risk by a negligible 6%.
A review of 75 studies over 40 years on senior citizens found that one cannot conclude flu shots are effective for people over 65. Yet there is no group more badgered to get flu shots than seniors! Dr. Tenpenny's conclusion: Just say "no" to flu shots!
But saying "no" to flu shots does not mean doing nothing to prevent flu and other winter illnesses. Pacific Health Center suggests the following protocol, which we have used for several years with great success:
Take 5000 i.u.'s of vitamin D daily (we recommend our Vitamin D 5000) Take our Flu Prevention Homeopathic formula once per week throughout the winter and early Spring (Flu Nosode 2010-2011) Take an L-Lysine collagen building formula to prevent invasions by viruses and other microorganisms (we recommend Collagen Forte) Take 2000 - 3000 mg/day of a buffered, ascorbate vitamin C with bioflavonoids (we recommend our Ascorbplex 1000) These four products are available on a special right now on our website. Just go to this link: http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/shop/product-list.php?Special_Offers-pg1-cid34.html Have a healthy winter, flu and flu-shot free! - Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:26:03 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Please, please...don't get the flu shot. Please, get the flu and DIE. We should be so lucky as to have this happen...we need to mourn.

After my inlaw working for the company that developed flumist, I bought stock in the company, and kept dropping, bought more, dropping, then slight recovery. I don't know what differences are in the chemical makeup of sniff vs shot, but the mist has live virus and claimed more effectiveness. I have yet to get the mist, but I think I'm out of the zone. It was several years ago when they were running out of flu shots, yet they had plenty of mist available.
Greg
On 12/12/2012 7:57 PM, gregz wrote:

I would be inclined to go with the mist up my nose since that's where I believe the flu virus enters the body anyway. I know there are different vectors but a virus can get into you if you touch contaminated surfaces then your mouth so the immune response is going to start in the mucous membranes. Why not start there? O_o
TDD

So far I myself have always gone with the shot, but I believe the mist is supposed to be better. While your idea has appeal - that is the location where you get the infection, so immunizing there is better - I don't think that is necessarily the most important reason. Immune cells have a way to travel to the sites where they are needed anyway, so where the immunization takes place isn't very important. I think the reason inhaling the mist is working so well is the abundance of bloodvessels near the surface of the nasal mucosa (design by Mother nature to get as fast as possible at the bugs you breathe in). So entry of the vaccine into the blood stream is easy and effective right there - no pain, all gain. Addicts don't inject cocaine subcutaneously, they snort it. For the anal retentive there is another route. In fact, suppositories are a very effective way to introduce medications.
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/13/2012 2:43 PM, Han wrote:

I'm no physician or medical expert, my field of study was physics not medicine so I defer to the medical experts but I can read and comprehend things scientific and from what I've read on the respiratory system, it seems to me that a great deal of the body's immune response mechanism is concentrated in the mouth and nose where most everything is being taken into the body. I'm guessing that the mucous membranes of the nose, mouth and lungs are going to produce things like histamine a lot quicker than the skin. Is it not true that some things that you may breathe in or swallow may be harmless but devastating if you got them in a cut or puncture of your skin? I'm just assuming that the immune system has more resources concentrated around openings in the body even though our marvelous immune systems go after invaders no matter where they are. I have an idea that breathing in a vaccine may be less likely to make me ill than an injection. Every time I've ever received a flu shot, I have become very ill. ^_^
TDD

I never became sick in getting shot. It would have to be so many days after getting it, since it takes however long to start reacting to it. There are the various chicken precautions. Since the virus can't multiply, it's not suppose to make you sick.
Been getting shots for years. I still get sick. Can't tell if it's a cold or flu. Sore throat, sniffles, then lung congestion, fever. Often in september- October, or early in the year.
Greg
Sorry to hear that you and your friends have had al that trouble. Guess I'm not qualified to apply for a job at your company. Which is a good thing. No chronic pain is good.
Physicians tend to take a cookie cutter approach with drug dosages when in reality everyone reacts differently with some of us being well outside the norm on either end of the spectrum. Some of us like me will have an opposite reaction to a drug. I've had stimulants make me drowsy and depressants keep me wide awake. Perhaps I'm an outer space alien. Everyone I work with is disabled in some way and living with chronic pain, none of us gets any help from the government so we work for what we get. My roommate has a congenital problem that looks like severe gout and lives on Lortabs and alcohol. The DEA contacted his doctor and told him his patient was getting too much of the drug based on pharmacy records. His physician went to bat for him and told the DEA to quit practicing medicine because they had no idea of the pain my roommate suffered. My doctor friend who helps me is terrified that the DEA will come in and shut him down and imprison him if he prescribes an amount of pain medication based on patient need rather than what some guideline calls for. One of the guys I work with owns a service business and lost a kidney to cancer, he recently had other surgery and the chronic pain was driving him into depression. I had a long talk with him about it on how I've dealt with the same problem and how to beat it. A week later he told me it was working. I've lost too many friends to pain and don't want to lose any more. O_o
http://www.deasucks.com /
TDD

I was in medical research before I retired 2 years ago, but I am far from a qualified physician. Nevertheless, getting sick from a flu shot is something to talk to your doctor about, since it suggests you are allergic to something in those shots. Better to find out what it really is that makes you sick, since flu shots aren't supposed to make you sick at all, at least not the ones in the last 5-10 years.
Indeed, those parts of your body that come into contact with the outside world are heavily defended by the immune system - your skin, mouth, nose, gut etc. Therefore they have many blood vessels (transportation network), and immune cells.
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/13/2012 8:02 PM, Han wrote:

Yea, the trick question, "What's the largest organ of the human body?" "The Skin." ^_^
TDD

That's often debated. My answer (actually one of the coauthors on our paper) is the cells lining the blood vessels, endothelial cells. In capillary blood vessels, that's the only cell surrounding them, and there are a lot of capillaries, especially in skin and mucosa.
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/14/2012 7:16 AM, Han wrote:

I'd have to defer to your expertise but as you point out the multilayer skin contains a lot of those blood vessels? I suppose an argument could be made that the interior walls of the blood vessels have more surface area that the skin. I have no idea how to calculate it but I'm sure some genius could do it. ^_^
TDD

My colleague Eric Jaffe calculated it. This was in 1980. A relevant few sentences: The surface area of an endothelial cell is ~30 x 50 micrometer (1,500 micrometer^2) (10) and the area of the capillary vasculature in a 70-kg man is ~1,000 m2 (20). Thus the capillary vasculature of the average subject is lined by ~7 x 10^11 endothelial cells.
This was in the J. Clin. Invest. vol 66 p979-986. This discussion is on p985. The article is freely available at <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC371534/
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/14/2012 2:40 PM, Han wrote:

Very cool! Thanks, that's going into my medical information collection. I really love learning new things. I suppose I'll stop learning and thirsting for information the day I die. ^_^
TDD

You're welcome!
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/14/2012 8:24 PM, Han wrote:

I developed a love of reading and learning when I was a kid and it has never left me. I wish more people loved to learn but I suppose that's too much to ask, I know people who have never read a book! Those are the types who would come up to me as I was reading a newspaper and ask if they could have the sports page. I tell them there are plenty of newspapers in the machine over there and they answer that they're not interested in that other junk in the paper. For some reason they would get angry when I offered to sell them the sports section for what I paid for the newspaper. ^_^
TDD
On 12/13/2012 3:43 PM, Han wrote:

Flu mist, as an alternative to the shot, was developed for multiple reasons. One of which was to provide the protective benefit of vaccination in an easy to administer form, without needing to use a needle - which due to fear or pain causes lots of folks to forgo flu shots entirely. The effective agent in vaccinations is a protein, which will be digested and rendered useless if swallowed. So you are left with eye drops, nasal drops/spray, trans-dermal patches or rectal as potential administration routes. The combined cheapest, most effective, least problematic and most publicly accepted choice among those is the nasal. However, to be effective, researchers found that the nasal mist must use live, attenuated virus as opposed to killed virus in the shots. Again, for multiple reasons, flu mist has been shown to be safe and effective for a narrower spectrum of patients than the flu shot. Which is "better" for a particular person? Your physician, who should be familiar with your entire medical history, is in the best position to answer that question for a specific patient. See: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm for some additional information.
On 12/14/2012 9:23 AM, Peter wrote:

Perhaps someone with respiratory problems would want to avoid the mist vaccine? O_o
TDD
On 12/11/2012 7:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's the red flag that negates anything they said.

On 12/11/2012 10:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/shop/product-list.php?Special_Offers-pg1-cid34.html
Have a healthy winter, flu and flu-shot free!

Your posting (edited for brevity) might have a shred more interest and credibility if it cited references. Where exactly does the CDC say that vaccines must be the "exact" match? Which issue of which journal published the Mayo Clinic data you cite, etc.? Does the Cochrane Collaborative and/or the Pacific Health Center have a meaningful bibliography of research articles in recognized reputable medical journals?
With respect to the speculation that vit D deficiency is the cause of increased susceptibility to influenza, how does that square with the fact that influenza commonly affects the entire U.S. southern tier of states from east coast to west coast (where the weather commonly is compatible with summer/bathing suit style of clothing, even in peak flu season) as well as the more northern states? After all, it only takes 10-15 minutes of whole body exposure to summer sun to generate and release into the blood up to 20,000 U of D3 (J. Nutr. February 1, 2005 vol. 135 no. 2 317-322). Do the sources cited seriously believe that winter residents of Florida, Texas, Arizona, southern California etc. are not receiving sufficient sunshine to generate more than the 5,000 U Vit D contained in the pill being peddled?
Many of the statements exemplify flawed logic. For example, even if the CDC does say somewhere that 86% of "flu-like" illnesses are not caused by the influenza virus, and that only 14% of patients with such illnesses might be helped by the influenza vaccination, the posting ignores the fact that the CDC, on it's own web site, strongly favors flu vaccination for almost all people over the age of 6 months. Just because an illness may initially present with "flu-like" symptoms, less dangerous illnesses have a much lower risk of evolving life-threatening complications than does influenza. The overwhelming majority of credible studies done over decades have determined that the risks of serious complications from a flu vaccination are miniscule compared with the risk of serious complications from the flu.
I don't want to throw around my c.v. here, but I believe I have sufficient formal education, clinical, and career experience to say with some authority that your posting does not provide any information to justify making any hypothesis, not to speak of statistically significant data to support a hypothesis. It is a very good example of scientific illiteracy.