OT: Automotive question

Page 1 of 2
I always look forward to reading what you guys have to say about the various items this group covers. I also find the OT threads interesting. You're a smart bunch of guys. And I didn't know where else to go.
That said, I'd like to know if any of you know of an auto repair newsgroup(s). I've searched, but to no avail.
I have a 2000 Saturn station wagon, 6 cylinder, which I bought new. It has 126K miles on it. Recently I had the gearshift cable replaced because it was slipping and it frequently wouldn't lock in PARK so I couldn't start the car. All was good for a couple weeks but, alas, now it won't start even though now it does lock in park. Battery is good, lights are bright, fan blows and radio plays. But nada/zip when I turn the key when in park (or any other gear). When accessories are off I don't hear anything when I turn the key.
The shop wants me to have it towed in so they can perform various tests This is expensive because I'm rural and it's a long trip. Plus their pound of flesh, of course. BTW, I'm retired and carefully watching my expenditures.
I'd like to do a few tests myself but I don't know where to start. Which is why I have chosen to come to this august body for help.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dick in Ferris, TX
Dick Keats wrote:

There are at least a couple of dozen auto oriented groups, no idea of their content. You might want to start with rec.autos.makers.saturn
If you'll use OE to search for "auto" on your server you will find the rest.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Pardon my ignorance but what is "OE"?
On 8/22/2011 2:42 PM, Dick Keats wrote:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/OE.html
My guess would be Outlook Express but I think he means use "Google" with Internet Explorer. Or "IE".
Jim T wrote:

No, I meant Outlook Express. The program he is using to read/post his eternal september news groups.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That's the software you're posting with. It has some means of searching a "newsgroup list" or directory.
rec.auto.makers.Saturn is no hubub of activity-- but there seem to be a few folks there who know what they are talking about. worth a post, anyway.
Have you tried starting the car in neutral? Just thinking it might be the park/neutral switch & sometimes a wiggle or change to another gear will be the ticket. [and maybe Saturn - or cars made after 1980 don't work that way-- but it is free]
Jim
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:42:14 -0500, "Dick Keats"

On 8/22/2011 4:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The acronym I've always seen used for that is "OEM". Original Equipment Manufacturer.
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

It also means Old English.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Tried that. Worked for awhile, then didn't. Which is why the new cable was installed

Nope...won't start.

Thanks for the help.
Dick Keats wrote:

No its not, Nothing current though.

Outlook Express
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Dick Keats wrote:

The cartalk.com site is filled with helpful info. The groups has some very knowledgeable contributors. Enjoy.
On 8/22/2011 2:13 PM, Dick Keats wrote:

Here's a Saturn owners forum to try:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums /
I expect the first advice you'll get will be to read the trouble codes. You'll need to buy or borrow a code reader. Auto supply stores sell them, some places rent them. Here's the specific trouble codes for Saturns:
http://www.troublecodes.net/saturn /

cranking.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:13:40 -0500, "Dick Keats"

Don't know enough about that car to get you started. I used to read alt.autos.saturn and still read alt.autos.gm and rec.autos.tech. You might try there, or search the web using saturn neutral safety switch as the argument. And a shop manual is your friend.
--Vic
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:13:40 -0500, "Dick Keats"

starter? There are 2 wires to the starter. Big fat one from the battery, and littler, skinnier one from the starter switch. There is a "neutral safety" switch between the starter switch and the starter. You need to find out if (A) there is power on the fat wire, and (B) there is power on the skinny wire when the ignition switch is in the start position. If not (A), then you have a cable problem. If (A) and not (B) you have a starter switch (or neutral safety switch) (or wiring) problem. If (a) and (B) you have a starter problem (or possibly a ground problem) If (A) checks out OK,and not (B) put the car in park and apply power to (B) - can usually be done by jumping from (A) to (B) with a screwdriver or similar tool - JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO JUMP FROM (A) TO GROUND!!!!.
This will start the car so you don't need to tow it in.(unless the starter is bad)
Many thanks to all for your very sage advice and suggestions.
Dick in Ferris. TX

One more possible solution: Override the shift-lever interlock. If the interlock is malfunctioning, you'll get the exact symptoms you describe.
Don't know about Saturns, but many cars have a key slot in the shift console. You stick a key in that, then start the car as normal.
--
Tegger

the problem.

You're right, I see. The OP implies that the shift lever can be moved to its various positions. Oh well.
--
Tegger