OT: Automotive question

I always look forward to reading what you guys have to say about the various items this group covers. I also find the OT threads interesting. You're a smart bunch of guys. And I didn't know where else to go.

That said, I'd like to know if any of you know of an auto repair newsgroup(s). I've searched, but to no avail.

I have a 2000 Saturn station wagon, 6 cylinder, which I bought new. It has

126K miles on it. Recently I had the gearshift cable replaced because it was slipping and it frequently wouldn't lock in PARK so I couldn't start the car. All was good for a couple weeks but, alas, now it won't start even though now it does lock in park. Battery is good, lights are bright, fan blows and radio plays. But nada/zip when I turn the key when in park (or any other gear). When accessories are off I don't hear anything when I turn the key.

The shop wants me to have it towed in so they can perform various tests This is expensive because I'm rural and it's a long trip. Plus their pound of flesh, of course. BTW, I'm retired and carefully watching my expenditures.

I'd like to do a few tests myself but I don't know where to start. Which is why I have chosen to come to this august body for help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dick in Ferris, TX

Reply to
Dick Keats

There are at least a couple of dozen auto oriented groups, no idea of their content. You might want to start with rec.autos.makers.saturn

If you'll use OE to search for "auto" on your server you will find the rest.

Reply to
dadiOH

The cartalk.com site is filled with helpful info. The groups has some very knowledgeable contributors. Enjoy.

Reply to
Ken

rec.autos.makers.saturn is devoid of any content. Pardon my ignorance but what is "OE"?

Reply to
Dick Keats

My guess would be Outlook Express but I think he means use "Google" with Internet Explorer. Or "IE".

Reply to
Jim T

Here's a Saturn owners forum to try:

I expect the first advice you'll get will be to read the trouble codes. You'll need to buy or borrow a code reader. Auto supply stores sell them, some places rent them. Here's the specific trouble codes for Saturns:

Hell Toupee

-snip-

That's the software you're posting with. It has some means of searching a "newsgroup list" or directory.

rec.auto.makers.Saturn is no hubub of activity-- but there seem to be a few folks there who know what they are talking about. worth a post, anyway.

Have you tried starting the car in neutral? Just thinking it might be the park/neutral switch & sometimes a wiggle or change to another gear will be the ticket. [and maybe Saturn - or cars made after 1980 don't work that way-- but it is free]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Don't know enough about that car to get you started. I used to read alt.autos.saturn and still read alt.autos.gm and rec.autos.tech. You might try there, or search the web using saturn neutral safety switch as the argument. And a shop manual is your friend.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Not real fammiliar with the V6 Saturn - can you see/reach the starter? There are 2 wires to the starter. Big fat one from the battery, and littler, skinnier one from the starter switch. There is a "neutral safety" switch between the starter switch and the starter. You need to find out if (A) there is power on the fat wire, and (B) there is power on the skinny wire when the ignition switch is in the start position. If not (A), then you have a cable problem. If (A) and not (B) you have a starter switch (or neutral safety switch) (or wiring) problem. If (a) and (B) you have a starter problem (or possibly a ground problem) If (A) checks out OK,and not (B) put the car in park and apply power to (B) - can usually be done by jumping from (A) to (B) with a screwdriver or similar tool - JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO JUMP FROM (A) TO GROUND!!!!.

This will start the car so you don't need to tow it in.(unless the starter is bad)

Reply to
clare

GENERALLY - OE means "Original Equipment"

Reply to
clare

Tried that. Worked for awhile, then didn't. Which is why the new cable was installed

Nope...won't start.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Dick Keats

Many thanks to all for your very sage advice and suggestions.

Dick in Ferris. TX

Reply to
Dick Keats

Rec.autos.tech

Reply to
gregz

cranking.

Reply to
clare

"Dick Keats" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

One more possible solution: Override the shift-lever interlock. If the interlock is malfunctioning, you'll get the exact symptoms you describe.

Don't know about Saturns, but many cars have a key slot in the shift console. You stick a key in that, then start the car as normal.

Reply to
Tegger

IMHO, neutral start safety switch is hosed or out of adjustment. If there is also a brake pedal position sensor, that could be dead or maladjusted as well. If you can figure out where those are, you could jumper past them to get it started, and drive it to the garage that changed the cable. Those are the people I would, ahem, 'talk' to first. Sounds like they did a slapdash job for you, instead of checking all related components.

standard disclaimer- I am not a mechanic, but have oft been left bow-legged by them in the past. Ya learn a little along the way. And what the other guy said about rec.autos.tech is true, too. I'd ask over there.

Reply to
aemeijers

Nope - shift lever interlock PREVENTS MOVING THE SHIFTER. This is NOT the problem.

Reply to
clare

I sent a procedure to check and start the vehicle but it has not shown up on the list (at least not on my machine).

AS A MECHANIC I would check it in the following way:

Locate the starter. Find the 2 wires connected to the starter - one big and one small. Check to be sure there is power on the big cable. Then check to be sure there is power on the little wire when the starter switch is in the start position.

If there is no power on the little wire in the crank position, you have a starter switch or wiring problem. With the vehicle in park and the key on, jump the little wire to the big wire and the engine will crank and start so you can take it to the repair shop. If there is power at both wires and the starter does not turn, the starter is FUBAR

Reply to
clare

Most shops guarantee their work for at least 30 days. Maybe they will tow it for free. Or, buy a AAA policy, then call them. Or, check it out yourself as per instructions from these guys. Or, get a shade tree off of craigslist to come to your house and fix it.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:6i8657tv22c4acd91j7u06t17pqpe70tt8@

4ax.com:

You're right, I see. The OP implies that the shift lever can be moved to its various positions. Oh well.

Reply to
Tegger