OT: Auto Shopping

Page 2 of 4
On 04/02/2015 03:57 PM, micky wrote:

The Sprite's gas gauge was non-functional (I think Lucas had a hand in it) and I ran out a few blocks from home. It was level ground and the car was so light just walking beside it with a hand on the steering wheel and pushing was no problem. Then I came to an intersection with a cop directing traffic. He stopped traffic and I crossed but his parting shot was "Do you always take your car for a walk?"
Then there was the startled deer that headed straight for me. I wasn't sure if it was going to try to jump the car or join me in the cockpit. fortunately, it veered off.
Or the time I stopped at a road construction site. They skimped on the blast mats so when they set the charge off the sky was filled with rocks, all seemingly with my name on them. Fortunately the only damage was a headlight as the guy in front of me tried to back up out of range.
I don't know about the traffic jam part. I've been parked on my bike on an LA freeway and it wasn't all that much like a park bench. Unless your parks are heavy on exhaust fumes, that is.
On 4/1/2015 8:13 PM, Meanie wrote:
Thank you, gents.
I have limit knowledge of how dealers work. You've extended that knowledge and helped me make easier decisions.
Anyone live in Kissimmee who wants to check out a car for me? LO...just kidding.
On 4/1/2015 8:13 PM, Meanie wrote:

My greatest concern with used cars is reliability - reliability of the vehicle not being a lemon, having a false odometer reading, or having undisclosed damage, and reliability of the dealer to offer a reasonable warranty, stand behind it if necessary, and still be in business to respond to a warranty problem.
I keep my cars until they become unreliable and/or unsafe - usually 8-11 years, and feel sorry for whoever purchases my car from a used car dealer. Therefore, I always worry that a used car may not just be a repo or a trade-in of a perfectly fine vehicle for something snazzier.
If I were to buy a used car, I'd shop at a large, national-chain used car store that has a good reputation for reliability, gets and uses vehicle history reports as a matter of policy, has a good warranty, and has been in business for at least 5 years. You might pay a little more up front than at the local corner lot, but I suspect that you'll end up paying less overall (if you plan to keep the used car more than a year or two).
On 4/2/2015 9:56 AM, Peter wrote:

I always keep my cars for a long time and this one may most likely be my last providing it's reliable.

Well, all but one of my very numerous vehicles have been purchased used. As far as dealers and used car lots - about half. The rest have been bought privately or wholesale and "as is" 1961 mini - private 1963 Valiant-used car lot 1969 Dart -wholesale as is 1953 Coronet - scrap yard 1965 Rambler - as is off the back row 1972 Colt - used off dealer lot 1957 Fargo - private (family) 1974 Dart - Private 1976 RamCharger - New off lot - total pain in the butt dealing with dealer!!!! 1975 Pacer - off the back row of dealer lot as is when I sold the Ramcharger back to the dealer 1972 Firenza (Vauxhaul Viva HC/Magnum - private 1980 Corolla - wholesale from dealer I worked for 1982 Tercel - wholesale from dealer I worked for -made deal with original owner 1976 Monarch Ghia -wholesale off back row of dealer I worked for 1973 Ambassador - private 1990 Aerostar - from Chrysler Dealer 1992 Areostar - private - family 1995 Trans Sport - Private 1985 LeBaron - Private 1988 New Yorker - wholesale from auto broker - as is. 1995 Mystique - private 2003 PT Cruiser - private 1996 Ranger - Private 2002 Taurus - used from Ford Dealer - as traded
plus half a dozen or more "project cars" purchased privately and either never driven or owned for less than a year (or both).
I generally buy about 6 years old and drive 5 or 6 years - occaisinally as long as 12.. Only 2 went to the scrap yard when I was done, and 2 or 3 were sold "as is", needing some work.
Two had over 240,000 miles, and several over 240,000km on them when sold.
2 current vehicles are 19 and 13 years old, with 331,000 and 91,000km - would take either one of them accross north america tomorrow, and both look like 2 or 3 year old vehicles, condition-wise.
Only the Mini, the LeBaron and the TransSport required large amounts of maintenance/repairs, other than the brand new RamCharger that was back to the dealer numerous times for problems I eventually ended up repairing myself.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

None of those listed will attract me. I drove military vehicles as a U.S. military civilian, company cars all those years getting replaced every 3 years(I got them at book value most of time and gave to family members or sold for some profit). Now I drive my own paid for new car already 7 years old. Looks like have to get another one B4 I go, smaller one so wife can handle, she will drive longer than me for sure.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've noticed one thing among our farmer customers. They don't seem to mind repairing equipment as much if it can be DIY. It seems to be more of an issue if they need me out to do the repairs. I think there's more to it than the cost. It just bugs people more if they can't fix their own.
Dean Hoffman wrote:

Today's cars are more electronics than mechanics, days of shade tree grease monkeya is gone....

Now it's computer Geeks that enjoy working on cars - - - - - -
On 04/02/2015 10:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sad day when hopping up a sled involves reflashing the EEPROM. Even the bikes are getting to the point where you change the pipes and go with a high flow induction and you need to diddle the electrons.
On 4/2/2015 11:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The good news is, they need far less service on things like spark plugs. No more oints and rotor, plug changes 1t 100,000 instead of clean at 5000 and replace at 10,000.

and the exhausts last virtually forever too.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Oil change interval too.
On 04/02/2015 11:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yeah, that's the summary of the Toyota maintenance schedule. Change the oil and filter every 5000 miles and rotate the tires until you or the car dies. They throw in an air filter change every 30,000 just to break up the monotony. The 2007 Yaris called for a coolant change at 30000 but I guess they've sorted that out to lifetime coolant for the 2011.
On 04/02/2015 10:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I bought the Yaris I popped the hood to make sure the oil filter wasn't a pain in the ass and it looked maintainable. I sort of assumed the plug wires were under the plastic shroud. Oops. It seems to work very well and I can't say I miss all the extra parts.
On 04/02/2015 10:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: ...

Tell that to the PS high pressure hose I had to replace last week...

If it was a new Honda Fit (or one of litteraly dozens of other recent vintage vehicles) even THAT has gone electric/electronic. About the only pressurized fluid left on many vehicles is gasoline, engine oil, brake fluid, and windsheild washer fluid.
On 04/03/2015 10:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So, what is it, some variable-torque electric-drive gearmotor arrangement?

Yes - an inline servomotor with torque sensing - on some linked to the computer system to vary boost with road speed. Part of the steering column.
On 04/03/2015 12:12 PM, dpb wrote:

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92544/Electronic-power-steering?Page=3
Yeah. At least it's not a complete drive by wire system.