OT auto glass cleaning

Page 2 of 3
On 2/14/2016 11:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

For the house windows, virgin newsprint is the answer.
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:15:51 -0700, Don Y

On 2/14/2016 12:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The local newpaper(s) -- I think they all print out of one shared facility -- makes "roll ends" available once a week. *Lots* of paper on a roll end -- at least when you're just using it for washing windows!
[OTOH, they are a PITA to store! And, the cores seem sinful to just discard...]
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:39:23 -0700, Don Y

newsprint - whether it was th carbon in the ink acting as a "compound" or what, I don't know.
On 2/14/2016 1:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The ink transfers to your hands! Just *reading* a newspaper leaves my hands stained.
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:31:52 -0700, Don Y

up reading the paper - I don't get any color at all.
On 2/14/2016 8:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Dunno. I think there has been a move towards *soy* based inks. I note that the quality of the "print" changed in the decades since I was a child (and first toured the presses).
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 20:53:37 -0700, Don Y

On 2/14/2016 2:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Works the same way the microfiber cloth does.
On 2/14/2016 2:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We haven't gotten a newspaper for years, now. I wonder if stuff printed on a home printer would work just as well.
--
Maggie

On 2016-02-14 4:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

cleaning/polishing.
On 2/14/2016 9:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

k Thanks
--
Maggie

On 2/14/2016 11:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

gotcha
--
Maggie

I read somewhere about using a microfiber cloth for computer and tv screens too. But what the heck is a "microfiber cloth" and where fo you get them? (Brand names will help).
On 2/14/2016 4:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Get them at Wal Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Target. Any place that had eyeglasses.
I have one that I use for the screen on my phone. Bought it at the optical department at Wal Mart. The other one i have is not as smooth but it was in the cleaning supplies section of wherever I saw it. Just wet it and wipe.
You can get them at Amazon too. Microfiber has a very thin stran as compared to a T shirt material. Something like 100,000 fibers per inch.
On 02/14/2016 06:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can also get them washcloth-sized in the automotive section of most stores; I picked up a three pack at my local ACE hardware store.
Jon
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 9:50:51 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, I think the ones you get at an eyeglass retailer might be a little small for cleaning car windows. Can't you just picture PaintedCow trying to wipe down a windshield with a 3" x 3" cloth? ;-)
But seriously, you have to be careful when choosing your microfiber towels.
I bought some at an automotive store for wiping down the vehicles after I wash them. They absorb tons of water, can be wrung out and used again right away. Then I bought some someplace else, may have been HF or maybe a Dollar Store, and all they did was push the water around the surface. A bath towel would have done a better job.
It would be a shame for someone to buy the cheap ones just because they say Microfiber on the package then get home and wonder why we're all saying how great they are.
On 2/14/2016 9:48 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

confused by the terms being used.
I don't like cleaning cloths that are labeled microfiber because I don't think they do much except push stuff around. At least that's been my experience with them.
When I think of cleaning a car, I've always thought of the type of towel used to be a chamois, which soaks up water and can be wrung out and used again.
I don't know eye glass cleaning cloths are called, but the one I have is definitely not microfiber.