OT auto glass cleaning

Page 1 of 3
Today was 6 month wax. Of course, wash beforehand.
It took us a long time but we've finally found a scheme for washing the HOUSE windows (lots of glass, here) without streaking, lint, etc.
But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.
And, of course, you never know if you've done a good-enough job until you get the car out in the sun and try to SEE through all your invisible smudges! :<
Presently using "Invisible Glass" which *seems* to do a good job but ONLY if you diligently remove ALL traces before it dries.
Next time, I'll try the stuff we use on the house windows (pour some of it into a spray bottle). Maybe see if I can find a TINY squeegee with which to apply it; virgin newsprint to dry.
Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?
On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

I recently tried some of the yellow Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny, but works well.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 8:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 11:21 PM, Muggles wrote:

And that does the inside? Amazing
On 2/13/2016 10:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I clean the inside myself. I tried one of those places that do the inside and didn't really like what they did.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 11:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

You didn't answer the question the original poster asked.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

cleaner makes the glass sparkle like a diamond.
Stormy goes through the carwash with the windows down to clean the inside of the windsheild and the seats and to wash the mud off the floormats. Driving down the road soaked to the skin with the windows open afterwards keeps him cool so he doesn't have to fix the AC on his van either. The only problem is the batched mess of wires under the seat gets wet, so he has to ask how to waterproof wire connections again.
On 2/14/2016 12:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You have nothing better to do, than store information about usenet posters, and try to come up with insults? I would have thought you had some thing better to do? Like pulling the lint out of your navel, or rereading the ingredients on your breakfast cereal box.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

foibles. Every couple months you come up with another "unforgetable" broblem with one of your vehicles or your trailer ---
You are just too good a target for ribbing when you come up with taking your van through the carwash to clean the windshield where it is hard to reach between the glass and the dash..
Admit it - It is pretty hard to let something like that slide...

Don't forget, this is how he washes his majik undies. He will also have to go to HF to replace his free flashlight and meter to "trace" the lamp cords. He's gotta watch the stuff in the back doesn't get too wet because no one wants rust or watermarks on a "new" part.
--
Tekkie

On 2/13/16 11:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe he leaves the windows and sun roof open and the tailgate up. Probably props the hood open too for a degreased engine.
--
If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and paper towels. Usually leaves some streaks.
Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water, wipe glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it once a month and you won't need step 1

Phantom really polishes the glass with a normal cloth.
Microfiber cloths DO make polishing glass a lot easier though, for sure. I still have most of a bottle of Phantom left from my dealership days when it was what we used to detail cars for the show-room or lot - back before microfiber.
On 2/13/2016 10:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We've tried windex (with and without ammonia), "the pink stuff" (name slips my mind), vinegar, Invisible Glass, etc. I even tried a "dry erase eraser" (works pretty good but you need a LOT of elbow grease; and, hard to get at the inside low edge of the windshield where you can barely fit your fingertips!)
Phantom appears to be a CA brand.

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:39:45 -0700, Don Y

a consumer product so you won't find it at a big box store.

On 2/14/2016 11:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Note google yields no results -- outside of CA
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:14:38 -0700, Don Y

Kebro Inc., (515) 276-1769, 10110 Douglas Avenue Des Moines IA 50323-7765 USA. Kebro Inc. offers Specialty Clng Plshng/Sanitation (Mfr), Chemicals and Allied Products related products and services in Des Moines. Outside Des Moines, call +1.5152761769.
See: http://www.trademarkia.com/phantom-72394317.html
On 2/14/2016 12:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So, I have to buy from the factory? No retail/wholesale outlets?
Maybe I'll just try some of the autodetailers in town and try to buy some from their stock (?)
On 2/13/2016 9:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They are rarely dirty from normal driving. Sure, when it rains, they get "mud spotted" -- but that comes off with the wipers, etc.
What usually happens is they get fingerprints from installing and removing the front window shade. Or, the door windows show prints as I wrap my hands around the edge of the door to pull it closed. Or, hand/arm prints on the door glass from my arm leaning against it.
I.e., the back and rear windows never need cleaning (no one sits back there nor touches the glass)

Our usage pattern is REALLY low/infrequent. E.g., the car is barely on the road for ~15-20 hours/month.
I suspect the cloth and water might not cut the oils that accompany fingerprints?
Windex, Invisible Glass, etc. all do a great job of cleaning. But, seem to want to leave streaks unless you are insanely diligent.
Maybe your original suggestion: cleaner with the follow through of a "damp cloth"?
(I still want to try the stuff we use on the house windows as there's a LOT of glass there and we never see any streaks!)
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:37:08 -0700, Don Y

the purpose. They don't leave streaks like cotton can and normal polyester or poly-cotton will.