OT: Aug 25th, 2010 - New record set

"In 1906 the fastest automobile of any kind was a Stanley Steamer, which driver Fred Marriott took to the then-astonishing velocity of 127.659 mph. "
"Out on the course, FIA[Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile]-­authorized chief timing official James Rice rolls up the sensor wires and stows his gear in the trailer. In his 14 years as a land speed record timer, he’s recorded tens of thousands of runs... Of these world records... 'This,' he says, 'was the slowest one I’ve ever done.' ”
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/land-speed-record-seekers-revive-steam-power
Add pictures here
✖
Yeah, they broke the steam powered record, but they didn't use a real steam engine. It's just a turbine. I wanna see whirling con rods!
--
DT

Add pictures here
✖
DT wrote the following:

You wanna see what??? What are "whirling con rodsl"?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

A fairly good description of a steam engine working. The crankshaft and conrods are in the open.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
Harry K wrote:

I wonder if that was short for "connecting rods", which in an internal combustion engine is basically the same part?
Add pictures here
✖

connecting rods (crank to piston)
Add pictures here
✖
He went so fast he drove into the future?
Add pictures here
✖