OT: Aug 25th, 2010 - New record set

"In 1906 the fastest automobile of any kind was a Stanley Steamer, which driver Fred Marriott took to the then-astonishing velocity of 127.659 mph. "

"Out on the course, FIA[Fédération Internationale de l?Automobile]-­authorized chief timing official James Rice rolls up the sensor wires and stows his gear in the trailer. In his 14 years as a land speed record timer, he?s recorded tens of thousands of runs... Of these world records... 'This,' he says, 'was the slowest one I?ve ever done.' ?

HeyBub

Yeah, they broke the steam powered record, but they didn't use a real steam engine. It's just a turbine. I wanna see whirling con rods!

Reply to
DT

DT wrote the following:

You wanna see what??? What are "whirling con rodsl"?

Reply to
willshak

A fairly good description of a steam engine working. The crankshaft and conrods are in the open.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

He went so fast he drove into the future?

Reply to
JimT

connecting rods (crank to piston)

Reply to
Bob Villa

I wonder if that was short for "connecting rods", which in an internal combustion engine is basically the same part?

Reply to
Tony