OT - audio cable

I saw a couple interesting links at sci.electronics.design

One is for an audio cable

The other had the most interesting reviews I have seen:
bud--

Reply to
bud--

Obviously some people have more money than brains. It's particularly laughable that the short cable is for a digital interface, where the only objective is to determine if the signal at any given instant is high or low, ie it matters not a wit if it's 2.2V or 2.5V. Also, many of the digital transfer stds have error correction built in.

When I was recently buying a 52" LCD TV at Circuit City, the salesman asked me if I needed an HDMI cable. I told him I already had them. He then lead me over to the Monster cable rack and explained to me that this Sony TV has a 120Hz refresh rate, so unless I had an HDMI cable capable of that, it wouldn't work. Of course HDMI is spec'd and actually runs at several hundred Mhz and the cable has nothing to do with the refresh rate of the screen. I declined to purchase that superb Monster cable that cost $135.

While I was there, I saw another salesman sell the Monster cables to an older guy who just bought a 27" LCD TV. The cables were probably

1/3 the price of the TV.

Of course, I was lying when I said I had the cable. I actually picked it up on Ebay for $15

Reply to
trader4

try mycablemart.com great prices at 6.99 and up

Reply to
ChairMan

or monoprice.com

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Right on Derby. I got some 5 footers (3 footers were not available) for under $5 from monoprice. Even their 10ft HDMI cables are under $5.

Reply to
Brandon McCombs

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 10:29:15a, bud-- told us...

No one in their right mind would pay that kind of money for cables. I guess there's a fool/sucker born every minute.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

No doubt it works well with the bragging rights crowd "see, I am special because I have $1,900 of ***MONSTER*** cables here on this 122" TV.

Reply to
George

Spinning chrome hub caps on 23" wheels that cost more than the car is worth come to mind.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Parked in front of a trailer worth less than the car, to boot, around here.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

"Pickup truck" with outrageously expensive wheels parked in front of a trailer. Oh, I forgot, it could be a Camaro or El Camino.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I was sitting at a red light when a set of spinners rolling up on the cross street caught my eye.

I glanced at the spinners first, then the car, saying to myself "That's just your basic, boring Buick. What's it doing with spinners? Then my gaze found the driver. He had to be at least 80.

OK, if I saw an 80 YO driving some pimped-out ride with some fancy spinners, I'd assume he borrowed it from someone. But this car fit the driver perfectly, which made the spinners look really, really stupid.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Sat 06 Jun 2009 07:41:58a, George told us...

No doubt...

Actually, I do use Monster brand cables in my audio system, but they were not expensive and purchased before the producers of Monster cable began making outrageous products.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 06 Jun 2009 11:36:42a, The Daring Dufas told us...

A good analogy.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've known more than one cretin who installed a $1,000 sound system in a hooptie. It was a choice between a stereo or huge chrome wheels.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Sat 06 Jun 2009 10:39:59p, The Daring Dufas told us...

I probably have about $2,500 invested in my audio system, and it's really a very simple system consisting only of a stereo power amp, preamp, turntable, cd player, and speakers. It's not new, purchased in 2002, but it satisfies all my audio needs and I have no plans to upgrade/enhance or replace any part of it unless it dies, which given the decent quality, is not likely to happen any time soon.

Chome wheels I can live without.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

You have a turntable in your car?

Reply to
aemeijers

Dang! You beat me to it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Turntable was an option in 1957 on some Chrysler Corp cars. It slid out of the dash on the right side. The discontinued it after only a year or two.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They're not all that expensive: Certainly no more than ten dollars.

That's per week per wheel at the (I'm not making this up) tire rental store.

Reply to
HeyBub

Remember the talking cars of the 1980's? Chrysler used a solid state unit but one of the Jap cars used a small record player.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas