OT - audio cable

Page 1 of 2
I saw a couple interesting links at sci.electronics.design
One is for an audio cable http://www.usa.denon.com/productdetails/3429.asp
The other had the most interesting reviews I have seen: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
bud--

Obviously some people have more money than brains. It's particularly laughable that the short cable is for a digital interface, where the only objective is to determine if the signal at any given instant is high or low, ie it matters not a wit if it's 2.2V or 2.5V. Also, many of the digital transfer stds have error correction built in.
When I was recently buying a 52" LCD TV at Circuit City, the salesman asked me if I needed an HDMI cable. I told him I already had them. He then lead me over to the Monster cable rack and explained to me that this Sony TV has a 120Hz refresh rate, so unless I had an HDMI cable capable of that, it wouldn't work. Of course HDMI is spec'd and actually runs at several hundred Mhz and the cable has nothing to do with the refresh rate of the screen. I declined to purchase that superb Monster cable that cost $135.
While I was there, I saw another salesman sell the Monster cables to an older guy who just bought a 27" LCD TV. The cables were probably 1/3 the price of the TV.
Of course, I was lying when I said I had the cable. I actually picked it up on Ebay for $15
In wrote:

try mycablemart.com great prices at 6.99 and up

or monoprice.com
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Right on Derby. I got some 5 footers (3 footers were not available) for under $5 from monoprice. Even their 10ft HDMI cables are under $5.
On Jun 4, 1:07pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

When Monster stopped declaring their actual wire gauges in their cables, I vowed to never buy another Monster cable again. I got some great 25 foot (22 AWG gauge!) HDMI cables from monoprice.com at less than the cost of a 3 foot Monster cable. I'm running it in-wall across a room, never had a data error. For speaker cable I get generic oxygen free copper in known gauges, the monster speaker cable is way less than 18 gauge as they put a lot of clear insulation over to make it look heavier.
People who buy these cables are goofy, you can get great cables at much lower cost. If these people seen all the wiring that led up to their power outlets they would realize that a shiny gold cable for the last 3 feet is putting perfume on a pig. Good cables are a good idea, but you can get very good cable at very good prices without the brand and hype.
On Thu 04 Jun 2009 10:29:15a, bud-- told us...

No one in their right mind would pay that kind of money for cables. I guess there's a fool/sucker born every minute.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

No doubt it works well with the bragging rights crowd "see, I am special because I have $1,900 of ***MONSTER*** cables here on this 122" TV.
On Sat 06 Jun 2009 07:41:58a, George told us...

No doubt...
Actually, I do use Monster brand cables in my audio system, but they were not expensive and purchased before the producers of Monster cable began making outrageous products.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Spinning chrome hub caps on 23" wheels that cost more than the car is worth come to mind.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Parked in front of a trailer worth less than the car, to boot, around here.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

"Pickup truck" with outrageously expensive wheels parked in front of a trailer. Oh, I forgot, it could be a Camaro or El Camino.
TDD

I was sitting at a red light when a set of spinners rolling up on the cross street caught my eye.
I glanced at the spinners first, then the car, saying to myself "That's just your basic, boring Buick. What's it doing with spinners? Then my gaze found the driver. He had to be at least 80.
OK, if I saw an 80 YO driving some pimped-out ride with some fancy spinners, I'd assume he borrowed it from someone. But this car fit the driver perfectly, which made the spinners look really, really stupid.
On Sat 06 Jun 2009 11:36:42a, The Daring Dufas told us...

A good analogy.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I've known more than one cretin who installed a $1,000 sound system in a hooptie. It was a choice between a stereo or huge chrome wheels.
TDD
On Sat 06 Jun 2009 10:39:59p, The Daring Dufas told us...

I probably have about $2,500 invested in my audio system, and it's really a very simple system consisting only of a stereo power amp, preamp, turntable, cd player, and speakers. It's not new, purchased in 2002, but it satisfies all my audio needs and I have no plans to upgrade/enhance or replace any part of it unless it dies, which given the decent quality, is not likely to happen any time soon.
Chome wheels I can live without.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

You have a turntable in your car?
aemeijers wrote:

Dang! You beat me to it.
TDD

Turntable was an option in 1957 on some Chrysler Corp cars. It slid out of the dash on the right side. The discontinued it after only a year or two.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Remember the talking cars of the 1980's? Chrysler used a solid state unit but one of the Jap cars used a small record player.
TDD