OT: AT&T U-verse opinions

Page 1 of 3
Most of us readers here have HD DVR and TV, I/Net and phones. I have at&t landline for my phone and DSL (extremely reliable), comcast for my HD DVR TV and paying separately is costing me $250+USD/mo.
I received an offer from U-verse offering all three for $89/mon for 12 months which is stated as a $41/mon discount from normal charges. (why don't I believe all three can be only $130/mon)
As this would be a great savings for me in these economic times I first though that I would inquire as to any opinions of you a.h.r folks and what you might have experienced with this service.
So, thoughts, opinions, recommendations all greatly appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote in news:3o0dj7pml7n6de016bvhbtevk7qlacgr8g@ 4ax.com:

I have FiOS. At the moment I'm paying just under $150/mo total, including fees, taxes, 1 DVR & 1 STB rental.
My internet is 25/15 (Gbits down/up). That is more than the basic stuff, but gives free wifi at a lot of places. There is 1 main email address and something like 7 or 8 "subaccounts" but Verizon email isn't something I'd write home about.
My FiOS TV "Extreme HD" includes basic and some premium content, and is enough for me (it includes NFL, but not any special baseball stuf).
It also includes a phone landline with free LD in the US, Canada, PR (I think). It incudes the regular "premium" services such as caller ID, voice mail, etc.
While the connections here from NJ 07410 are excellent, customer service isn't too good, and billing can be a hassle. It is best to scrupulously write down everything you're promised, and to note date, time and name of person you're talking to. Repeat to them what YOU understand you've been promised. They keep a record, so if you can tell them that Susie told you so on that date and time, they can't get out from under that. Also, as soon as there is a dispute of some kind, suspend any automatic payments and only pay what you owe. In the past it has taken more than a few months to get things straightened out. Maybe they are better now than when I had problems <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

Check that offer carefully. They do have a good deal, but the TV portion is often a basic package. Check the cost with the package and equipment you want. It still may be a good deal, but if you want more channels, an extra DVR or two, the price goes up.
I hesitated for years, but got fed up with cable and switched to satellite.. After the initial specials ran out after a year I still get better service, more channels, better equipment and save about $25 with DirecTv over our cable company.
U-Verse is not available in our town so I can't give direct comparison. Probably take another dozen years to get the right lines in place.
On 2/11/2012 9:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may never see (or something like it) for some time. ATT stopped its build outs of Uverse last year and Verizon threw their hands in the air last year with their FiOS build outs. It costs a lot of money to build an area out and likely cable and satellite are already there so you need to give it away to attract users from those providers.

Disclosure: I have had Verizon DSL and FiOS in North Jersey since at least 1999, and like it ... Around here they compete with Cablevision Optimum Online, and I see the Cablevision repair trucks much, much more foten than FiOS trucks. As I understand it satellite "suffers" from a latency problem related to the distance back + forth to the satellite, and suffers from weather (rain/snow) related problems - diminished signal.
Here is a link for FiOS-related stuff I found by googling: <http://www.fiberexperts.com/fios-availability.html :
FiOS Deployment
Verizon FiOS is currently available in many states and is continuously expanding. Verizon hopes to expand the FiOS internet service to all 28 states where verizon currently provides landline telephone services.
The 16 states which the FiOS internet service now occupies are California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington. Many more states may have FiOS internet services available as time progresses.
Verizon Fios Availability Status
Choose a State:
etc, etc
--
Best regards
Han

Sat service has improved considerably. In the 18 months I've had it, a total of maybe 15 minutes of poor signal was encountered. Snow, ice, strong winds made no difference at all. I'm told that dish design has changed and is less susceptible to weather.

Maybe in the more populated areas. Where I am, they don't even know we exist, nor do they care. Population density drives their expansion.

Not any more. Both Verizon (FIOS) and ATT (U-Verse) have told investors they are no longer expanding to new areas. The only sales they are interested in now are infill. Basically, if your neighborhood is served, you can order it. If not, you are out of luck.
On 2/12/2012 11:08 AM, Han wrote:

Looks like you find the happy every day marketing dept version.
Direct from verizons ceo:
Lowell McAdam - Verizon Communications - President & CEO "Well, that would certainly be our objective to get around that 50% penetration across all of our markets.With FiOS we are about 16 million POPs at this point and we want to get to about 18 million. If we built out the whole footprint, we would be more in the 21 million, maybe a little bit more, range. But I don't plan on going any further than we have talked about because we have got to kind of clean up a few of the processes around the ONTs. We have now developed a strategy whereas if we put FiOS down the street, regardless of the services that are on the street we are going to move everything over to FiOS and get the copper out of service and out of our base. So that is a pretty significant shift for us. That changes the scale and, frankly, the cost structure associated with FiOS. If I can get some rhythm on that and be a little bit more efficient on the ONTs and what goes on inside the house then the economics of FiOS begins to get better and better then I can reevaluate. But for now the bottom line is we are going to build out what we said and not any more"
http://www22.verizon.com/idc/groups/public/documents/adacct/ubs_vz_transcript.pdf

Thanks, Ed, Robert & George. That fills in the picture. While we have absolutely no plans on moving, until we leave the house toes up, if we were to move anywhere, the available digital services would play a role.
Best of luck to you all!
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/11/2012 10:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

There not. Offering deep discounts for a limited period is one way for a business to get you to "put your toe in the water".

snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

I am up here in Western Canada. I don't use PVR. I have a bundle package from Shaw cable which includes 2 phone numbers, HD TV, Internet with broadband 50GBS speed with modem/WiFi router. Total bill is ~180.00/month. Looks like you could save some having a bundle package.
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:08:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

I'm in northern CA and switched to the U-verse with a similar deal.
I'm consistently getting ~10/2 down/up. After expiration of the promo rate I'm paying ~$138 for phone, I-net, and TV with a premium package. I'm very satisfied.
My only complaint is that they offered a $100 refund at signup. But they actually sent out a rebate card 6-8 weeks later, and sent it in unrecognizable envelope so I that I likely threw it away as junk mail.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Not only that, they probably sent it with "Standard" (i.e., bulk rate) postage, as a further encouragement for you to discard the letter unopened.
Standard trick with rebates.

I'm more careful with mail these days.
When I turned 65, every insurance company in the world sent me something about Medicare supplements, life insurance, etc. I tossed them all as I was all set.
One day I opened one before tossing it. Turns out, it was the second notice that I had a pension from a job I left 45 years ago. The company closed 40 years ago. CaaaaaChing! ! !. Not a fortune, but a month's present wage that I never knew was coming.

What really burns me is the printing "Important Message About Your Account" that idjits like ComcASSt and VerLIESzon stick on their marketing envelopes. Important to THEM maybe.

After getting screwed twice by Fry's on rebates that I know were properly submitted I no longer buy anything that has a rebate. And I no longer buy anything from Fry's. Fool me once . . .
-- Bobby G.

I stopped buying at Fry's because almost EVERYTHING I bought was used and re-packaged, with stuff missing, like an internal patch cord that goes from the DVD deck to the soundboard.

I haven't been in a Fry's for months, but they used to be pretty good about marking return/repack stuff. It was reasonably easy to find unopened merchandise.

You're right - I've never purchased anything from their web site. Just the retail stores.
Robert Neville wrote:

Tigerdirect... I never did the 40 dollars worth of rebates they promised to pay. That was over 10 years ago and I've never bought another thing from them, I even canceled the credit card I used to make that purchase because they wouldn't dispute the purchase. Anymore any add with a rebate, I just skip over it. If a rebate makes the difference I'll find what I want somewhere else. Even the easy rebate from Staples ... 5 bucks, I never got that. I hate rebates, or maybe I should say I hate rebate offers. I was one of those that complained to the AG's Office http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/46824E6FF7CE2D21852577C800522497
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 05:09:26 -0600, "Mr. Austerity" <"PrintMo.Money "> wrote:

For the most part, I share your feelings. Staples though, has been easy and fast. Never had a problem claiming them on line.
Recently, I sent in paperwork for a new energy efficient heating boiler for the offices at work. This is for $3000 and three months later, I got a letter it was denied. No other information. I called our rep and the e next morning, it was approved and the check a few days later.