OT, as usual - What are these?

Have any others noticed the many people walking around transfixed by these things in their hands - about the size of an old-fashioned small paperback book (remember those?). They walk everywhere staring at them, many even attempt to drive with them. Sometimes they poke at them with their finger or drag it across them. Other times they jab at them with their thumbs. Sometimes, when I get near one while grocery shopping, I even hear people talking to theirs. I think they imagine the things are replying because they put them up to their ears! All very strange!
The people carrying them seem mostly to be younger than I am, often a lot younger.
I've thought about it a lot and I think it's a very popular intense new religion, and those things are idols or representations of their gods. Why else would they talk to them?
Has this spread to your area? Possibly even outside the US? If so, what's your theory?
On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 8:56:59 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

You're close Ken...they are a means to talk to God (or a god). ;^)
On 03/23/2015 08:56 AM, KenK wrote:

I too have noticed a lot of young people walking all hunched over.
I think it may be osteoporosis , maybe they no longer get milk in the schools.
KenK wrote:

Perhaps this will help. I think they are food for elephants.
http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f 1b0650e695
On 3/23/2015 12:37 PM, Ken wrote:

Alligators too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v%x_OMYCYSg

On 3/23/2015 9:56 AM, KenK wrote:

My theory is that these are energy storage devices, and people of today use them instead of eating food. They plug em in, and take power from the hand held devices. Which is why you see older people in restaurants chatting and eating and drinking. But you don't see younger people chatting and eating and drinking. They just keep poking these hand held rectangles.
KenK wrote:

Of course.

The collapse of civilization is imminent.