OT, as I often do. Snap problem

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

It should open up if you pry hard enough.

If all else fails just drill it out and replace with a rivet.

Reply to
philo

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not sure. Looks a little like a rivet. But really just a regular snap connector like on clothing. Only bigger, a half inch in diameter.

Wouldm't work. Need to get it through a cell phone holster loop.

Reply to
KenK

You'll have to drill it out. If you don't have a belt stapler, you can use a license-plate nut and bolt. :)

Reply to
J Burns

Why do you need to unsnap that? Just leave the buckle on the belt.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Wire cutters. There is a name for the kind I mean.... like pliers. The kind used by radio technicians.

I don't mean for cutting rivets but for pushing one's way between the halves of the snaps.

Reply to
micky

A vise and Vise Grips? It's just like ketchup. If a little force is good, a lot of force is better.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

When you pour ketchup from a bottle, first a little will come out, then a lot'l.

Reply to
micky

Chicago screws would be a little classier:

The local ranch supply has a good selection but ymmv.

Reply to
rbowman

Ken,

Use a soup spoon as a lever and fulcrum. Try two spoons. Do not use the wife's good silver. If two spoons won't do it buy a new belt.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

It is easier for me to remember that the female threaded ones are also known as "sex bolts":

Often (longer ones) are used to hold scrapbook covers and pages together.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"taxed and spent" wrote in news:mithe2$rjq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.mixmin.net:

There's currently no buckle on the belt and I wish to add one and wear it.

Reply to
KenK

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tried diagonals. Didn't have any effect. Also tried a larger pair of crimpers that had cutters like dikes on the end. No help either.

Reply to
KenK

Dean Hoffman wrote in news:miu7ji$aoo$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I tried vice grips. Thought they might deform the snap enough by barely squeezing it that it would open up. The vice grips were too thick to get in between the parts of the belt to get at the snap. I tried three different ones.

Reply to
KenK

Hedge clippers!

Reply to