OT, as I often do. Snap problem

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.
Any suggestions - besides a new belt?
TIA
On 05/12/2015 11:27 AM, KenK wrote:

It should open up if you pry hard enough.
If all else fails just drill it out and replace with a rivet.

Not sure. Looks a little like a rivet. But really just a regular snap connector like on clothing. Only bigger, a half inch in diameter.

Wouldm't work. Need to get it through a cell phone holster loop. <g>

Wire cutters. There is a name for the kind I mean.... like pliers. The kind used by radio technicians.
I don't mean for cutting rivets but for pushing one's way between the halves of the snaps.

Tried diagonals. Didn't have any effect. Also tried a larger pair of crimpers that had cutters like dikes on the end. No help either.

On 5/13/15 1:54 PM, KenK wrote:

Hedge clippers!
On 5/12/15 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:

You'll have to drill it out. If you don't have a belt stapler, you can use a license-plate nut and bolt. :)
On 05/12/2015 11:46 AM, J Burns wrote:

Chicago screws would be a little classier:
http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/product/chicago-screws-1290-051.aspx
The local ranch supply has a good selection but ymmv.
rbowman wrote:

It is easier for me to remember that the female threaded ones are also known as "sex bolts":
https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_and_Mating_screws.aspx
Often (longer ones) are used to hold scrapbook covers and pages together.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Why do you need to unsnap that? Just leave the buckle on the belt.

There's currently no buckle on the belt and I wish to add one and wear it.
KenK wrote:

A vise and Vise Grips? It's just like ketchup. If a little force is good, a lot of force is better.
On Tue, 12 May 2015 19:58:26 -0500, Dean Hoffman

When you pour ketchup from a bottle, first a little will come out, then a lot'l.

I tried vice grips. Thought they might deform the snap enough by barely squeezing it that it would open up. The vice grips were too thick to get in between the parts of the belt to get at the snap. I tried three different ones.
Ken,
Use a soup spoon as a lever and fulcrum. Try two spoons. Do not use the wife's good silver. If two spoons won't do it buy a new belt.
Dave M.