(OT) Are there any *NEWS* Websites that still post photos?

Nothing personal, but this was a totally useless response. As I mentioned in my original post, CNN was one I tried and found useless because it's all video based.

I never heard of feedly before, but as soon as I went to feedly.com, I had one of those Captcha things shoved in my face. I have a policy. If a site thinks I have time to waste filling out their fu###ng Captcha things, just to view their site, they can shove their site up some dark hole where the sun never shines. I simply refuse to go to the site of any site requiring a captcha. I have never opened one of them, and never will. If they want to drive people away, they are succeeding and with any luck, their advertisers will dump them flat on their ass. Those captchas win the award for the most assinine thing ever done on the internet. I can understand signing up, or proving it's a real person, to POST to a website, but just to view it, *NOT*. I refuse to play their harassment game. I figure any site that uses those captchas is not worth even going to in the first place....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I was out and about nearly all of the holiday weekend so I did not spend any time on the computer. I heard from others about all the flooding in the south, mainly Texas and Oklahoma from what I understand. I googled "Texas Flood" and found many hits. CNN, Fox news, MSNBC, and so on.

After going to 3 or 4 of these sites and waiting over an hour for them to load, I only say one photo. There are lots of videos though. The problem is that I am on dialup, and can not view videos. And in all honesty, I'd rather see some still photos. (and I an not referring to all the ads that loaded pictures).

The WWW continues to become more and more worthless everytime I use it. Now they have sites that require us to type in a code which they call a Captcha, for entry, which is ONLY to view the site. I refuse to use those sites, and just click the close button immediately. There is absolutely no reason anyone should have to type in any code to only VIEW a site.

We have all these fancy computers these days and are being forced to go back to the old daily newspaper and tv coverage, if we really just want to read and article with pictures...... Sad but true!

Anyhow, is there any site that still shows the daily news in a "newspaper" style, neaming text and photos only?

And no, I dont use Facebook or other social media garbage....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Have you tried the local newspaper? I can get the exact digital edition of the printed paper as well as other photos.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is a very small rural town, so the local newspaper only comes out once a week, and you cant view it online until the next edition comes out. But they dont cover much national news anyhow. However, your suggestion is a good one. I'll google to get a large city newspaper from one of the flooded states. Thanks!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

You should Google RSS. It might be what you are looking for. Try Feedly and use CNN as a starter news feed.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Now this is great...... I can actually read the news which loads fast, even on dialup, and actually gives the news without tons of crap. Myway.com has been added to my bookmarks. I figured there had to be some website that still posted the actual news in a useful format. A lot of those sites dont realize that some of us rural people have nothing but dialup internet, and that is all I can get, unless I could afford $100 a month for satellite. I cant afford that, and even if I could, the internet is not worth that much to me since I have more to do with my time than spend all of it online.

I am also limited to antenna tv, but after putting up a tower, and using power boosters, I can get around 20 channels.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

"User Error"?. Lets see, I open my browser, type in feedly.com and poke the enter button. As long as I type the URL correctly, there is little chance of user error.

I tried it on Firefox, Seamonkey, and K-Meleon. ALL of them wanted the captchas...

Now, if you include the fact I am on dialup, that may have something to do with it. Yet, I have tried to go to some websites at a WIFI spot, using my cellphone, and have also been given a captcha page.

Like I said, any site that even has captchas is not worth my time....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I'm not at all fond of pop up ads that cover the material I'm viewing. I've been known to X out the entire window or tab.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just went there with Opera 12.15. No captcha.

I just went there with IE v10. No captcha.

Conclusion, don't blame the website, blame UE (user error).

Reply to
dadiOH

Take a look at

It's not newspaper style, but it has headlines, brief text-only summary, and one small photo per headline. When you click on a headline, more text only detail and perhaps a photo or two is shown. No videos, no pop-ups, and can be customized to focus on news area and items that most interest you. You can tell which local areas you are interested in and it willl include local news from that area.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Just for the heck of it, I went to the feedly.com website and poked around a bit, searched, looked at stuff. It didn't require me to enter any captcha code. I've seen on rare occasions where you need to do that to access the website, search it, etc. But in my experience, 95% of the time, captch is only used if you want to post, create an account, etc. And they do that to stop bots from slamming the website.

I don't mind the captcha concept. What I can't stand is that some of them have gotten so hard that what they put up there, I can't figure out what the blurried, disfigured characters are supposed to be. Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times to get one that I can decipher.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm reading NPR news and the Washington Post lately. They both have some photos, but not many. On the other hand, I block script and 3rd-party images. I also don't have flash installed and see no videos. So you might see more images than I do.

I think there's a general trend toward merging corporate Internet sites with TV. They want to entertain you while they track you, and many are probably, like Google, tailoring the actual news you see to what they think you want. So a site with 3 videos running is just the fad of the day.

Personally I'm happy if I can just find real news in the first place. I get NYT at home. (Not my choice.) I find that to be mostly a big business propaganda brochure, of little value for news. I used to go to BBC, but they keep changing their site and the last change doesn't work well. I never go to the sites you mentioned. I think they're just too much on the infotainment end of the spectrum. But I can't say that there's any one site that I *really* like for simply finding out the relevant news of the day.

Something like the floods I see on TV. I often watch a bit of the 11PM local soap opera, in order to see the weather. As part of that I usually end up watching a few snippets about the usual local "news": the bear in the backyard; the elderly person who drove into a convenience store; the dog that almost drowned but didn't.... if there's any real news, like the Texas floods, the local station will usually have some footage. (I'm sure they're relieved that they don't have to cook up another cute bear-in-yard story to fill up those 4 minutes.)

But now I have another dilemma: The local news stations have become so bad that they're filling up most of their time with glib prattle from young lady anchors in tight dresses, wearing far too much make-up, along with extended weather reports. The weather reports have become so long that they're simply too boring to concentrate on, as the local weatherman drones on, listing the high temperature of the day for

15 different local towns. (3 were 82F but 6 got as high as 83F!!!) That seems to be a general trend: Portraying the local news anchors as my buddies who keep mr company at 11PM but don't really have much of interest to tell me because actually reporting the news is hard work and requires a modicum of literacy. Lately they've even started having weather previews! At 11 there's a mini weather report. Then at about 11:16 there's a 5 minute report. It used to be about 2 minutes total and was more informative. I expect the next development will be "Breaking News!! The Weather Report Will Be Coming Up Just After This Break!!" :)
Reply to
Mayayana

If you get feedly installed, the hard part can be to find other sites of interest.

Here is a screenshot of mine. This is way too much news to keep up with in one day. I skip 15 out of 20 headlines most if the time. But sometimes I still run out of stuff to read. I really enjoy reading. Stupid stuff gets about as must priority as News.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Seymore4Head

What platform and browser are you using? Like DadiOH, I went there with Win 7 and IE, poked around, did a search, no captcha. IDK why it would be environment sensitive, but something very odd is going on. And as said before, it's rare that a website uses captcha just to view it. I've seen some that do, but typically it's for making a post, creating an account, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Doesn't look that good to me. I won't be switching from

Dan Espen