OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon - Page 10

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 10 of 20   «first < 9
10
11 > last»
Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   There is a space where it belongs in this message.  It didn't show up
in the last message when I highlighted it.  That was just before the
computer was rebooted.

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon
gSbhnSnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@earthlink.com:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me here.

In this particular reply of yours, I see that your side has deleted my
space character. My side isn't doing that, and is thus properly deleting
your sig on reply.

Next time, don't "highlight" anything. Instead, in the original message you
intend to reply to, place your cursor to the left of the affected area,
then arrow-over until the cursor wraps around to a new line. If the space
is missing, the wrap will occur immediately after the last visible
character.

And if the space /is/ missing, it's your side that's doing it, not mine.
Some news servers automatically strip trailing spaces, such as Google's.
Some readers/clients also automatically strip trailing spaces, such as
Microsoft newsreading products. These are defective products, and should
not be used by civilized men.

--
Tegger

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   No, it is missing when I recieve it.

   I was doing to the recieved post, not to the reply.  Netscape 4.78
doesn't make any changes in read messages.

   If you look at the message headers you can see exactly what I'm
using. Your headers show you as using Xnews/5.04.25

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

I saw what you were using.

If you're receiving my posts with the trailing spaces stripped, then it's
your server that's doing it.

Here's a test line with three trailing spaces:

If you arrow-over from the colon, the cursor should move three times before
wrapping around to the new line. Do you see all three spaces at the end of
that line?

--
Tegger

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

I see the three spaces, myself. If you don't, then it must be your server.

--
Tegger

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   The space is there in this message. I left your sig, to show you.

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

This is very interesting. I even checked my messages and yours in Adobe
DreamWeaver as a double-check, and neither your server nor mine is
stripping off trailing spaces. Nor are they changing the space characters
to something else. Code-wise, your delimiter and my delimiter are
/identical/.

There does appear to be a space character at the end of my sig, just like
in yours. But the three spaces in my test line were stripped off...

Anybody else having trouble with my sig not stripping off? (Googlers and
Microsoft-users should NOT reply to this question!)

Are you, Michael A. Terrell, having any auto-strip issues with anybody
else's compliant sigs?

--
Tegger

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   Not that I've noticed.  I strip sig files by hand, since this program
is older than the autostrip convention.  That was why I noticed it in
the first place.   Curiouser & curiouser.

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon
Hmm. Well, glad it seems to be working, for you. I'll leave my auto sig
delaminator in, and see if anyone clearly layers my post.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sig stripped automatically, including everything below it.

This Terrell fellow seems to be a bit of a troll, since the auto-strip
thing pre-dates the Internet, and thus also pre-dates his ancient
Nutscrape.

--
Tegger

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon
Apology accepted, thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.

Sig stripped automatically, including everything below it.

This Terrell fellow seems to be a bit of a troll, since the auto-strip
thing pre-dates the Internet, and thus also pre-dates his ancient
Nutscrape.

--
Tegger

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   YAWN.  I've been on Usenet for 15 years and had several stalkers,
including one bipolar character that made death threats.  He called my
church, and the local Sheriff's department and made false claims because
I had killed filed him and wouldn't respond to his garbage.

   Usenet does predate the Internet, since it moved around the world on
9 track tape, and the convention was set to minimize message sizes, when
most people connected with 300 or 1200 baud and some by computer
terminals that were connected to minicomputers or military & university
mainframes.

  You call me a troll, then intentionally misspell things?

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon
I kind of miss the BBS days, I met a lot of local geeks and nerds that
way. Of course newsgroups were propagated from BBS to BBS in batch files
via direct modem connections. Now I have to put up with a whole world
full of trolls instantaneously. ^_^

TDD

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   I did, too. I started with 300 baud on a C64.

   It's too bad that they banned the ability to remotely vaporize
troll's computers. Too many were living under bridges and in public
restrooms, so there was just too much collateral damage. ;-)

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   We had a half dozen HP 85 at Microdyne.  Two worked, the others were
used for spare parts. They were used to test the 1200 series Telemetry
equipment.  The Scientific Atlanta model was tested with a PC & custom
software that only ran under Win 2.0. The newest models ran Windows
Embedded, and were tested & programed with Win 95, mostly though the
Ethernet port once Embedded would run.  The 700/1620 series automated
test fixture ran on DOS 5.0 & Quick Basic.

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

In the early 80's I wrote assembly for an HP 1000 minicomputer, Arthur
C. Clarke's inspiration for HAL since a fan had given him one. It
controlled a custom machine vision station.

jsw

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

   Sounds like fun.  Monochrome?  Resolution?

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

It imaged printed letters and attempted (badly) to convert them to a
different dot pitch for a color ink jet printer the Centronics
founders were developing, in the mid 80's. Font names can be
copyrighted but not the letter shapes themselves.

I spent a year manually redrawing all the letters and symbols in the
IBM character set in various font sizes and shapes, plus bold and
italic, and the European variants like Cedilla, Umlaut and Hachek. My
Halloween party costume then was a Medieval scribe's robe.

The printer worked beautifully for a couple of days between overhauls.

That job showed me that the stock market is a source for loans you
repay only if you can. The investor suffers the burden of failure and
gains the rewards of success, and the inventor isn't crippled if his
ideas don't fly. Broadway theatre funds itself in a similar way.
http://www.activefilings.com/startups/angel-investors-vs-venture-capital-firms /
They don't look so evil after you've seen them take risks, support
jobs and then lose, while I have their paychecks in my bank account
and get good deals at the auction.

It, the Segway and some others also showed me that I can't predict
mass market success no matter how well I understand the product, so
I'll work for $$ on an invention but I won't invest much in it or
accept stock instead.

jsw

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon - Virus warning

AVG just found a script virus that came from either this link or the
similar one I opened before it:

Re: OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon
Which are better batteries? Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.