OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 10 of 16
Tegger wrote:

There is a space where it belongs in this message. It didn't show up in the last message when I highlighted it. That was just before the computer was rebooted.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me here.
In this particular reply of yours, I see that your side has deleted my space character. My side isn't doing that, and is thus properly deleting your sig on reply.
Next time, don't "highlight" anything. Instead, in the original message you intend to reply to, place your cursor to the left of the affected area, then arrow-over until the cursor wraps around to a new line. If the space is missing, the wrap will occur immediately after the last visible character.
And if the space /is/ missing, it's your side that's doing it, not mine. Some news servers automatically strip trailing spaces, such as Google's. Some readers/clients also automatically strip trailing spaces, such as Microsoft newsreading products. These are defective products, and should not be used by civilized men.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

No, it is missing when I recieve it.

I was doing to the recieved post, not to the reply. Netscape 4.78 doesn't make any changes in read messages.

If you look at the message headers you can see exactly what I'm using. Your headers show you as using Xnews/5.04.25

I saw what you were using.
If you're receiving my posts with the trailing spaces stripped, then it's your server that's doing it.
Here's a test line with three trailing spaces:
If you arrow-over from the colon, the cursor should move three times before wrapping around to the new line. Do you see all three spaces at the end of that line?
--
Tegger

I see the three spaces, myself. If you don't, then it must be your server.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

The space is there in this message. I left your sig, to show you.

This is very interesting. I even checked my messages and yours in Adobe DreamWeaver as a double-check, and neither your server nor mine is stripping off trailing spaces. Nor are they changing the space characters to something else. Code-wise, your delimiter and my delimiter are /identical/.
There does appear to be a space character at the end of my sig, just like in yours. But the three spaces in my test line were stripped off...
Anybody else having trouble with my sig not stripping off? (Googlers and Microsoft-users should NOT reply to this question!)
Are you, Michael A. Terrell, having any auto-strip issues with anybody else's compliant sigs?
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Not that I've noticed. I strip sig files by hand, since this program is older than the autostrip convention. That was why I noticed it in the first place. Curiouser & curiouser.

Hmm. Well, glad it seems to be working, for you. I'll leave my auto sig delaminator in, and see if anyone clearly layers my post.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sig stripped automatically, including everything below it.
This Terrell fellow seems to be a bit of a troll, since the auto-strip thing pre-dates the Internet, and thus also pre-dates his ancient Nutscrape.
--
Tegger

Apology accepted, thank you.

Sig stripped automatically, including everything below it.
This Terrell fellow seems to be a bit of a troll, since the auto-strip thing pre-dates the Internet, and thus also pre-dates his ancient Nutscrape.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

YAWN. I've been on Usenet for 15 years and had several stalkers, including one bipolar character that made death threats. He called my church, and the local Sheriff's department and made false claims because I had killed filed him and wouldn't respond to his garbage.
Usenet does predate the Internet, since it moved around the world on 9 track tape, and the convention was set to minimize message sizes, when most people connected with 300 or 1200 baud and some by computer terminals that were connected to minicomputers or military & university mainframes.
You call me a troll, then intentionally misspell things?

I kind of miss the BBS days, I met a lot of local geeks and nerds that way. Of course newsgroups were propagated from BBS to BBS in batch files via direct modem connections. Now I have to put up with a whole world full of trolls instantaneously. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I did, too. I started with 300 baud on a C64.
It's too bad that they banned the ability to remotely vaporize troll's computers. Too many were living under bridges and in public restrooms, so there was just too much collateral damage. ;-)

"Attila.Iskander" wrote:

We had a half dozen HP 85 at Microdyne. Two worked, the others were used for spare parts. They were used to test the 1200 series Telemetry equipment. The Scientific Atlanta model was tested with a PC & custom software that only ran under Win 2.0. The newest models ran Windows Embedded, and were tested & programed with Win 95, mostly though the Ethernet port once Embedded would run. The 700/1620 series automated test fixture ran on DOS 5.0 & Quick Basic.

In the early 80's I wrote assembly for an HP 1000 minicomputer, Arthur C. Clarke's inspiration for HAL since a fan had given him one. It controlled a custom machine vision station.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Sounds like fun. Monochrome? Resolution?

It imaged printed letters and attempted (badly) to convert them to a different dot pitch for a color ink jet printer the Centronics founders were developing, in the mid 80's. Font names can be copyrighted but not the letter shapes themselves.
I spent a year manually redrawing all the letters and symbols in the IBM character set in various font sizes and shapes, plus bold and italic, and the European variants like Cedilla, Umlaut and Hachek. My Halloween party costume then was a Medieval scribe's robe.
The printer worked beautifully for a couple of days between overhauls.
That job showed me that the stock market is a source for loans you repay only if you can. The investor suffers the burden of failure and gains the rewards of success, and the inventor isn't crippled if his ideas don't fly. Broadway theatre funds itself in a similar way. http://www.activefilings.com/startups/angel-investors-vs-venture-capital-firms / They don't look so evil after you've seen them take risks, support jobs and then lose, while I have their paychecks in my bank account and get good deals at the auction.
It, the Segway and some others also showed me that I can't predict mass market success no matter how well I understand the product, so I'll work for $$ on an invention but I won't invest much in it or accept stock instead.
jsw

similar one I opened before it:

jsw
Which are better batteries? Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac?