OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 8 of 16
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The furnace here is shot. Holes in the firebox & no repair parts availible. I've used electric space heaters for the 12 years that I've lived here. If the propane delivery company stays confused, call a TV station and get them some free advertising on the local news. :)

Sorry to hear your furnace is shot. Do you rent? Is it not practical to get a newer one?
This AM, the propane guys did arrive, not a moment too soon. (Friday April 27, 2012, 8:30 AM) Even with a space heater, they had 51F indoors in the morning.
The furnace here is shot. Holes in the firebox & no repair parts availible. I've used electric space heaters for the 12 years that I've lived here. If the propane delivery company stays confused, call a TV station and get them some free advertising on the local news. :)

Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, i own the house and a new furnace is over $1400 (and a couple hunderd dollars shipping) because of the odd size. It was an old mobile home style made by Duo Therm. That model is about 50 years old, and no parts were availible when I bought the house 13 years ago.

I've woke up in colder rooms, under a dozen blankets & quilts. :(

Ah, well. That's a shame. Sometimes the duct work can be reworked, to put in a newer furnace. I can't remember where you are, but I'm guessing it's not worth the trouble for me to drive over and have a look. I've installed a lot of furnaces, in various conditions.

No, i own the house and a new furnace is over $1400 (and a couple hunderd dollars shipping) because of the odd size. It was an old mobile home style made by Duo Therm. That model is about 50 years old, and no parts were availible when I bought the house 13 years ago.
Hmm. Well, I'll offer, if I get any where near there.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm near Orlando, Florida and it isn't worth the trip.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm just going to remove it and turn it into a linen closet, since it's next to the bathroom.

Don't want to put in a real Amish electric furnace, and burns real wood?
Ah, well. If I get near Orlando, I'll offer to help take it out, for you.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm just going to remove it and turn it into a linen closet, since it's next to the bathroom.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have already started to take it apart, but thanks. There was no way to remove it in one piece.

There seldom is. Often furnace have to come out in pieces. And, it's much easier, since they are lighter and easier to move, in pieces.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have already started to take it apart, but thanks. There was no way to remove it in one piece.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

But a LOT messier. :(

Double that comment, in the case of oil heat.
Would be nice, if oil heat produced zero soot.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

But a LOT messier. :(

Stormin Mormon wrote:

This thing is full of soot & rust. The previous owner was too cheap to have it serviced, and it shows.

That can be every bit as bad. Sorry to hear. Maybe you're best off to do like Chernobyl, and encase it in cement?
Furnace-cophagus?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

This thing is full of soot & rust. The previous owner was too cheap to have it serviced, and it shows.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

No. That would be stupid, and require additional support from underneath to keep it from falling through the floor along with having to carry a cubic yard of concreter inbuckets.

Hmm. Well, don't want to increase the floor load.
Maybe some kind of casing with zero weight? Neutronium, maybe?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No. That would be stupid, and require additional support from underneath to keep it from falling through the floor along with having to carry a cubic yard of concreter inbuckets.

Does anyone think the old, round handle, propane tanks were more dangerous than the OPD tanks?
What's a good way to light the house, when the electric is off? Need some way to walk around, and some way to see to repair things, or read books.

Coleman lantern and a gallon of white gas.
On Fri, 11 May 2012 09:18:08 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

Or if you don't like the noise from those, an Aladdin mantle-type oil/kerosene (paraffin) table lamp.
Those suckers are expensive. Maybe a garage sale in a remote area would be better than buying new -- if they even still make them. They're really very nice.
Ah, yes, they're still made:
http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Products_ShowCategory.asp?CategoryID=3
--
Ed Huntress

Does anyone still use A drive floppy disks?