OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 16 of 16
So poor, your grand father's hearing aid was on a party line?
Turn it on, and hear strange people talking?

I was joking. Comes from being poor as a child. Why, I so poor..... I better just drop this.
--Vic
<stuff snipped>

You know somebody had to:
EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper. GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth. TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor. MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness." EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof. GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING! TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor! MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph. EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US. GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake! TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road. MP: Cardboard box? TG: Aye. MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt! GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY! TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife. EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah." MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'. ALL: Nope, nope..
And, the snow was THIS HIGH.
My first computer had beads that slid on strings. You know, I did have a plastic and metal adding machine that was kinda kewl, when I was a boy. Wonder if I still have it.

Is it time for the uphill to and from school stories? Let me know, so I can get out now. (-:
--Vic
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:50:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I remember in college we had punch cards (IBM 360 or 370???) and I remember a funny incident (well not really funny at that time). I had just punched out all my cards from another room and put them into the rack to have them read and I hit the go button. About half way thru, it started to chew the cards up and you should have seen me lunge at the stop button. It was time consuming to punch those cards and getting a terminal wasn't always easy with other students doing the same. It was an experience. I laugh now but I wasn't laughing then.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:31:11 -0500, Vic Smith

I like to use Total Commander for my file manager whether I use xp or win7.

Turn off "Personalized Menus" under "Start Menu Properties> Customize".
jsw
On Apr 10, 2:33pm, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

They stopped using OE when Vista came out. Neither Vista or W7 comes with a bundled email client. You have to manually download Windows Live Mail if you want to stick with a Microsoft product.

Reading newsgroups is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, a place to learn, converse with others, and maybe some humor. If I have to hit the "page down" key more than twice, your reply is not all that important in my life and I'll probably skip it and move on.
If you took the time to snip to a sensible size, I'll probably read it and even reply if I can be of some help.
The hinted at story behind this.
Many years ago, I was visiting a friend. She answered the phone. It was someone we both knew. She motioned me to come nearer. She turned the phone (old Bell Tel style touch tone with standard handset) on its side. Motioned for me to put my head next to hers, so I could also hear.
This moved the microphone about six inches away from her mouth. The person on the other end asked her to speak up, could barely hear. My friend said "Oh, I'm just tired and laying on the bed". The conversation went on.
A couple days later, I called on the phone. I was having a lot of trouble hearing. I asked her to speak up, or pull the phone closer. She replied "Oh, I'm just tired and laying on the bed."
I never could trust her, after that. I also have learned not to trust people who say "but, I would never do that to you". There is a story there, but won't get written at this moment.

Reminds me. About 10 years ago the company I worked for had their annual charity drive. There were a number of charities to choose from, but I don't care for the ones that have high overhead costs. A woman from a local home for battered women did a presentation. I was sold, so I checked the box for that charity and wrote $500. At the same time I got a good raise and the company stopped passing out paychecks, or stubs for direct deposit. Made that all on-line. I didn't bother registering because I never questioned the company accounting. Stubs had always been as expected, and my net always showed up in my bank account. Different from when I was an hourly pieceworker - I always checked hours, piecework rates and day rates then. So the entire year went by, and I was on my wife a few times about the credit card, because our savings wasn't going up as I expected it would with the raise. Not quite fighting, but bruised her feelings, because she *is* frugal. Anyway, I filed my taxes the next year with Turbo Tax in a hurry and at the last minute, but something wasn't right. The W-2 had a box with $6000 in it. I don't remember the details of the form now, but I was tired and rushed so I just filed it with a $500 charity deduction. The next day at work I finally logged into the paycheck site and saw that they had been deducting $500 a month for the charity. Of course that rubbed me wrong, and I "inquired." I was shown the charity form I signed. I had checked the "monthly" box. My fault, and I got over it in about 30 seconds. Just figured that since I gave 6 grand that year, I would lay off charity giving for a while, and I did. Also went prostrate in apology before my good wife. And filed an amended 1040 for the tax refund.
--Vic