OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 15 of 16
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:52:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

If you format your flash drive with a W/98 boot sector image DOS can use the whole thing. I have not really played with it much but the real answer would be to make a DOS 7.1 bootable thumb drive. I have been happy so far with DOSBOX running in XP My PCs support booting from any hard drive so if I was really serious about a DOS environment I would just put a small FAT 16 drive in the system and boot from that. Even the smallest drive I have 1.6g or so, is huge for a DOS environment so you could just create a partition of 50 meg or so and still do anything you want..
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:10:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Have you seen "DOSBOX"? It will create a DOS environment in XP that will run just about anything. I have some DOS stuff that runs in XP but poorly. DOSBOX makes it look like you were using your PC-AT or PS-2. (extended/expanded memory etc) It's freeware.
On 04/11/2012 03:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:
[snip]

When Windows 98 was the current version, I wondered what they'd call the next version.
Windows 1? That's already been done (just not well).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Win 1.0 was reviewed as the sickest joke ever played on computer users.

Let me guess? Came with 128 MB ram, ran slow as hell, and caught virus from every where? Needed reboot twice a day?

Win 1.0 was reviewed as the sickest joke ever played on computer users.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It was a shell for DOS and ran in 640 kB on the XT. It was useless.

I'm writing this on my favorite 1.6GHz XP laptop wth a 3GHz Win 7 machine running beside it, recording HDTV which is all I use it for.
Sherri Shepard just got voted off
jsw
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:42:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I play video games, and Win 7 is by far the best I've used. Think I've only had to do a hard reset once in the couple years I've used it. Wasn't a BSOD, just frozen inputs. XP would freeze pretty commonly with BSOD. But I started with Win 7 on a newly built computer, so that clouds those findings. I don't have any hard data. Doing a quick search I see Win 7 users are getting BSOD. I was happy with XP, but more happy with Win 7. Win 7 has been the most trouble-free OS I've used. But if what I ran worked with 98, I'd just use 98.
--Vic
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:27:32 -0500, Vic Smith

I really like Win7 for ease of use and the way windows dock on the sides and size equally if you want to compare them. And I like the tool that lets you capture any part of the screen - I haven't bothered installing SnagIt, which was my favorite tool for that on XP.
I've been playing with Win8. It takes some getting used to since it is very different, much more like using apps on a phone. And that is the whole point I think. I'm getting used to a smart phone and it's useful, but it's the touch screen that is making the difference. The Win8 interface (Metro) is a bunch of tiles that extend off to the right rather than using a Start menu. The Start menu isn't even there although you can get to a desktop like XP and Win7.
The layout doesn't make much sense with a mouse, but is logical for touch where you can just swipe at the screen and jump to the area where the app you want is located. And you can move the tiles around just by dragging them so you group tham as you like.
There seems to be two different types of programs, regular old windows programs and these tile based apps. In order to get an app, you have to download them from the MS app store, which is of course the Apple and Phone way of doing things. While I hate it as more big brother crap, it makes sense for supporting an operating system. One of the big problems that Microsoft always faced was that they had an open system; anyone could write an application or device driver and have it run under windows. But if it did things in a non-standard way, it could mess up the whole system, and plenty did. Apple never had that issue since they controlled all the software and hardware.
So, now, in order to sell Apps through the Microsoft store, it has to pass all kinds of integrity checks to make sure that it can't do bad stuff. Plus, when it installs, the user has to approve of anything it can do, like access USB drives or the camera.
A whole new world. Now if my arms could only support my hands working with a touch screen desktop monitor it would all make sense. And how about having my computer hooked up to a big screen TV like in my living room - do I have to get a big touch screen now and get my ass off the couch?

Only if you allow M$ to drag you into it.

That's what I detest about this new era of touchscreens. It's a young person's world, not an experienced working world where a touch screen is slow and clumsy and full of fast food greasy fingerprints. As someone who made a living on a computer for many yrs, a touchscreen horrifies me. I can't think of a more ergonomically incorrect method of interfacing with a computer. That whole scenario of Tom Cruise reaching out to a buncha floating transparent touchscreens in the movie Minority Report may have LOOKED cool as Hell, but it was all nonsensical horsecrap. I can jes imagine trying to do schematics or engineering drawings on such a ludicrous setup for 8-10 hrs. They'd hafta carry me out on a stretcher!
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!

notbob wrote:

WIMP!!! They would have to carry out what little was left of that so called 'computer' in a trash can, after 15 minutes. Then clear out what was left of the desk.

Engineering drafting with crayons.
jsw

Got no idea what you're talking about. When I need a screenshot I just hit the print screen button and paste it into Word. But that just shows that everybody uses a PC differently, and has different needs. I started all text command line when I got into IT in the 70's. Business IT programming was all about the data then, and the only "graphics" was data spit out on paper reports. The turning point for me accepting GUI was the Win 3.0 file manager. I loved it. Now called Explorer in Windows. Quickly got to the point where I resent typing to do OS functions. I still use a file manager that graphically appears more like the old Windows file manager than Explorer, but is much more powerful, as the focal point on my PC. Called Power Desk Pro. Not recommending it, because I have version 7, and it has some minor issues with Win 7. They don't bother me, since I avoid them. Newer versions get some criticism in reviews. I'm about to look into that, and might upgrade or go to something else. But that's just me. I avoid using Explorer, but my kids navigate with it just fine, and they don't like using Power Desk. GUI is really a personal thing. I'll recommend stuff, but don't care if it's rejected. It's kind of like religion. You see it with Intel vs. AMD, nVidia vs. ATI, Win vs. Apple vs. Linux, Chevy vs. Ford. I've got no problem with others rejecting my beliefs. They want to burn in hell, it's their call.
--Vic
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:31:11 -0500, Vic Smith

... or any picture editor that can see the clipboard.
Most people don't know that.
On Apr 11, 12:43pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Or paint.

What I liked about snagit was that you could capture just part of the screen or window and then do simple editing like adding arrows and some text. Nothing that couldn't be done using other tools but simple and well thought out.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:31:11 -0500, Vic Smith
A mere pup ;-)
If you wanted to talk to a computer in the 60s you were flipping switches, entering raw hex or BCD, otherwise you were punching cards/paper tape.
Ah the good old days, when a CPU was twice the size of a sub-zero refrigerator with a power cord as big around as a banana and had a thousand cards in it.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:50:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Is it time for the uphill to and from school stories? Let me know, so I can get out now. (-:
--Vic
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:39:22 -0500, Vic Smith

Did you go to CCNY (where I was a student once) because it was uphill going to campus and downhill back to the subway or were you just joking around ???

I was joking. Comes from being poor as a child. Why, I so poor..... I better just drop this.
--Vic