OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 14 of 16
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have seen very few useful help files, since they are written by people who already know the software, not by people who have had to ask questions. :(

ME was on the store shelves when I bought that ME system. I was working so much overtime that I couldn't make it to my wholesaler to build from scratch.
As far as metal related content: I have built & modified a lot of computer cases.

I may still have a few that work. I have a couple boxes of small drives in storage, but most are in the < GB range.

I use it, because I support Windows users and you forget too many things if you quit.

I have JAVA on this, and several other computers.

It is used to post the copyright date at the bottom of every page, and to spam proof the Email address from Bots.

It will be, but they just don't understand that hidden features in a HTML page take time to load, and a lot of potential customers are on dialup. They don't like music or video to auto run on other sites, and have some Youtube hosted videos link to one of their sites. The videos explain their products, and how to use them.

I think that a lot of it is that 'Artists use MAC' thing and they don't want to admit that they use anything else. ;-)

Here is a nice utility that can divide a large drive into several smaller partitions. http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html Windows can do that too, but the process is somewhat obscure the first time.
Drives are easier to play with on USB adapters. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002 That's not a recommendation, just an example. I bought a different one at a local computer store.
jsw
Gunner Asch wrote:

I spent the day having a water pump installed, repairing a computer & using Clonezillia to install a larger drive for someone. It posts as much crap as hawkie & Cliffie used to just to do a simple, Linux based task. ;-)

Maybe you could start a blog...and IF anyone gave a shit they could read it! (or you and Stormy could go to IMing?)
Bob_Villa wrote:

Or you could just stop showing your ass on so many newsgroups. I am posting to news:rec.crafts.metalworking. If there weren't so many whiny jerks on news:alt.home.repair I would delete the crosspost even though the thread started there before being crossposted to news:rec.crafts.metalworking. I'd offer to let you build my new well house, but the old one was build by an amateur and that won't happen again as long as I'm alive. I think I'll build a fake outhouse, in your honor. It was going to be a doghouse, but too many of you trolls are flea-bitten curs.

Gunner Asch wrote:

I can drive it, but it still needs another dozen repairs. One thing at a time. :)

XP was the first with "native" USB support that was pretty much universal.Windows 98 Second Edition had USB support built in, but a lot of programs that checked windows versions just saw 98 as 98 - didn't see the SE, so assumed no USB support and would not install for USB.

As for ME, it was neither fish nor fowl. It was NOT an NT Kernal, and yet it was not built "on top of" DOS

Sure it worked - if you didn't ask much of it.

On 04/11/2012 03:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It was. That DOS was identified as version 8. As far as I could tell ME was just as much "built on top of DOS" as 95 or 98. They did try to hide that fact by removing the option (to not start the GUI) from the boot menu. There was a patch to reenable it or you could format a floppy that would boot into DOS.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I dont mind Win2000, since it was simple and was before the bloated XP. The thing I disliked is that W2000 lacked the *real* Dos, and I still run Dos apps. My computer has both w98se and w2000 dual booted. The main reason is that there are too many USB devices that dont have drivers for w98. I use w2000 to do my backups to external USB hard drives, read my camera cards, etc. Then I boot back to 98se for normal computing. Whatever I did in Win2000 is now on the same computer (such as my camera photos).
More than once I've considered upgrading to WinME, (for better USB support), but everyone has always said it's defective, so why screw up a good thing.
As far as writing html, here's a tip. Download the FREE Seamonkey boewser. It has a built in webpage designer. www.seamonkey-project.org The browser is ok, nothing spectacular, but it works. I mostly have it installed for webpage design. I use version 1.1.19 in Win98. I think there are newer versions that work in the NT versions of windows, but I dont remember that for fact. Either way, it's an easy way to write webpages.
Isn't Windows 7 *ALL* Bloat?????
Windows 98 is *NEWER* than Windows 7, because 98 comes *AFTER* 7 :)
On Apr 11, 4:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:.

The only problem with W7 is some older computers can't handle "Aero", which is just bells and whistles that can be turned off.

The Big Bang Theory fan?
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Install & run FreeDOS.

As I said elsewhere, the only problems I saw was unprotected systems, or bad motherbooards. Some upgraded from 95 or 98, and this put more of a load on the CPU & power supply. If the SMPS on the motherboard or in the power supply where failing, it would become unstable. I repair a lot of computers to the component level, including the failing electrolytics with high ESR.

It is a branch of the Netscape/ firefox tree, and I've had it for years. Sometimes you need to remove some bloat, so the code will work with older browsers. I have six different browsers on this suystem, to test compatibility. I also keep a Win ME, Win 98SE and Win 95 system for the same reasons.

You left off the decimal point. '.98' :(

If the hard drive is formatted FAT32 you can install and run 2K or XP and *DOS happily, and share files. However user access security is degraded.
This XP NTFS laptop has a FAT16 partition containing DOS7 from a Win98 boot floppy, plus other DOS extensions, Dell diagnostics and QBasic, which runs fairly well under XP. It's a copy of a Dell Diagnostic partition with the Media Descriptor Byte left as-is rather than set to 'DE', so it isn't hidden.
I dual-boot DOS by installing a minimal version of it on a bootable flash drive whose AUTOEXEC transfers COMSPEC= to DOS\COMMAND.COM on C:.
You could just leave DOS running from the flash drive, but floppy emulation limits its apparent size. I originally did that with a Boot floppy so I could swap in a non-booting floppy filled with user programs.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

All the computers with XP here are formatted as NTFS. I recently got two with Vista, but I have only got one desktop working so far. The laptop may not be worth fixing. :(

I have multiple old computers, so I just fire one up to run really old software, or outdated things like scanners. In fact, I have ME on one system, strictly to scan old manuals. :)

Here's how to copy the one useful feature of ME into Windows 2000: http://www.petri.co.il/enable_compressed_folder_in_w2k.htm
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Thanks. I have a couple 2000 systems that a disabled friend wants. He is totally computer illiterate, and insists that he can't use XP.

That's funny because 2000 is a purely Professional system with complex administrative options.
Neptune, the intended consumer version of 2000, instead became XP Home. XP regains the security versatility of 2000 if you disable Simple File Sharing.
The really powerful configuration control in XP is hidden in the Computer Name property, where you select a Domain (networked) or Workgroup (stand-alone). The login and access controls are completely different.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

What's sad is that he's so gullible. He let Net Zero talk him into a high priced dialup with their so called speed boost. He has paid for at least four years, but lost the password and they won't let him reset it without a huge fee. DSL would be cheaper & faster, but they convinced him that DSL wasn't available where he lives. Downtown in a medium sized city. (53,491 in 2007)

That's why I run XP on my networked computers. Someone managed to hack my old Linksys WRT54G routers. They installed a port scanner on it. It, and my firewall would slow the computer to a crawl whenever they tried to use it. It only tried to hack the lowest IP address on the network. I figured that their thoughts were: The parents would be the first computer on the network, and the one that would have something worth stealing.
Have you ever used Embedded NT?

Never. The embedded systems I've worked on used mostly TMS320xx Digital Signal Processors.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

This was in 2001, on $80,000 telemetry systems with Ethernet interfaces. They also had RS232, RS485 & IEEE488 interfaces.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:48:07 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

How about QNXe (Embedded QNX)