OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 13 of 16
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Uh, no. All you need do is make a shortcut to the exe (msimn.exe) and put that shortcut where you will, including the Start/Programs menu. Ditto with any other program, drive, folder or file.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

It's easier to do it the way I posted, but to each his own. :)

click settings click control panel click "add or remove programs" click "install or remove windows components"
Look for outlook express, and check the box. Might need to slip in the Windows disk.
XP pro has it. If you don't see it in the menus, open Help and type Outlook express in the search box. A page with a link will open.

Outlook Express is not part of Windows XP; it's bundled with older versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer. I'm using XP along with OE and Explorer 7. You can still download Explorer 7 from Microsoft.
The Microsoft replacement for OE is Windows Live Mail which is part of Microsoft Essentials. At the ME site you can just download the programs that you want. It's all free.
Tomsic
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm quite familiar with how to install software. I've used & repaired computers since 1982.

So, what do you mean by this? At first reading, it sounds like you're offended that anyone would try to explain something so simple? Did I read that right, or did you mean something else?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm quite familiar with how to install software. I've used & repaired computers since 1982.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I simply pointed out that I already knew how to install it, and have discussed many computer problems with people on this newsgroup. (RCM) I was repairing computers at the component level & writing software in the '80s. I owned a computer store for several years, as well.

Well darn, the computers I played with in the mid 1960's took up whole floors of buildings. You could tell a nerd by the slide rule hanging from his belt and the big box of punch cards under his arm, oh yea, the pocket protector with several different color pens and or a little screwdriver for the really serious ones. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

And a 'computer tech' had a decent Tektronix scope, on a roll around cart to track down the problems. Like the one I still have in my shop. :)

Gunner Asch wrote:

I saw mine the other day. I need to find a power cord for it, and they haven't been availible for decades. It was also used on a 4" '60 Sony B&W TV for the 12 VDC power cord. I had made one for it from a TV cord, but it disappeared. :(
I currently have two tek scopes, a Magnavox military scope, and 301 scopes in my Cushman Service monitors. I had to straighten & repair the aluminum case on both Cushmans.

I have friends who swear by Linux. I was unable to "find my way around". I need a mentor.
Might as well jump over to Linux if you're going to use an OS that's not officially supported by Microsoft. The biggest drawback I've found so far to Linux is the lack of good CAD software. The next largest being that some web-based tasks, like updating my Garmin GPS, don't work under Linux. I'm not sure why the first is, but I expect the second to eventually go away as more and more people jump off the Microsoft bandwagon.
The *advantages* to using Linux are stability and security, of course, and the fact that the various programs and features are kept up to date whereas with old Windows installations they are not. (yes, you still have a life cycle for various distributions, but for the most part upgrades are free and automatic. Other than a kernel upgrade, a restart is rarely required, which is nice as well.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

LTSpice (AKA: Switchercad) is a good circuit design program, and will run under Linux. It's available for free from Analog Devices.

Sadly, most of the CAD that I would want to do would be architectural in nature...
Once upon a time I remember using ProE on SGI workstations running some flavor of *nix... (I think it was Solaris something or other?) but sadly it appears that it is no more, and Autodesk never released AutoCAD for *nix at all. And for some reason the open source community, while developing every damn thing else, has not filled that void yet :(
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Have you looked at Google Sketchup? I don't know if it runs under Linux/Unix but it is free and I've seen some very interesting drawings done with it. :)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:22:26 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Sketchup is a great program though it's a little strange to pick up. The best advice I read was to not think of it as a CAD program, rather a 3-D modeling program. Once I got into that mindset it was easy to pick up.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

2000 was in the NT line. Win 98SE was the end of the Win 95 line. You could change some of the menu settings to make 2000 look like the 95 series, and do it in XP. Win 98 was the first to actually support USB, even though the later versions of Win 95 claimed to support it. The problem was, no one bothered to write drivers for their products for 95. Vista is a pain, and I'm not crazy about Win 7, since it won't let me do things the way I need to. I've written HTML in Wordpad since Win 95, but 7 won't let me save the files as .htm or .html. I don't like the bloated tools they offer, since some people can't open pages created with them.

I get by ok with xp. I still have a computer, dual boot w98se, w2k. I scream at my vista laptop. I scream at my hp with w7, biggest problem is the hp updater, and 64 bit.
Greg
[snip]

Almost correct. It was ME. Not much improvement over 98SE (althougth it would support USB storage devices without loading a driver), but it was still there.
BTW, some people really complain about ME. I didn't have that version. I had the one that worked.

I don't like the way they hide the really useful stuff. Win 8 will probably be worse.

For HTML, I use Arachnophilia (http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia /). It uses Java, and works on any modern OS.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yes. I had less than three hours sleep that day. I was thinking ME, and typed 98 SE as I ran through all the various versions of 95 98 & ME. There was very little difference between 98 SE & ME. I ran both, for years.

I heard a lot of complaints about ME needing reinstalled. What I saw was a lot of idiots running without a firewall or antivirus, and the crap destroyed enough files that the system would no longer boot. I used to give out a list of free software, with the instructions of how to download, install and run it. Most looked at the download times and threw it in the trash, then raised hell when all their photos and other important files were destroyed. I still have the original install of ME on a hard drive. It started out on an E-machines 700 MHz computer. it was cloned to a larger drive, and survived four motherboards before the computer was retired. I still use the original, smaller drive to test old computers to decide whether to fix or scrap them.

I use 'classic View' wherever possible. '8' is in beta testing. I had a link pop up, offering the download while checking for updates. I just closed the page.

One commercial website that I was maintaining has enough visitors with old computers & early browsers that don't support JAVA, so I write the code in raw HTML. It is for a local business that caters to artists. Very limited use of CSS or JS, to keep from kicking those potential customers to the curb. I have suggested splitting the site into old/new support, but they want a secretary to take it over. She lays out a page with the space bar to position things, then complains, "It's my lousy monitor!" when people can't see anything useful at a different screen size. I have offered to teach her how to do it properly and was told, "I don't have the time to learn it!" She got really pissed at the idea to maintain two versions of the website. Now they are talking about adding assembly videos and flash animation, even though 90% of the hits are from dialup.
One thing I like is that 90%+ of their customers claim to use Macs, yet they show at under 5% in the server logs. There are more Linux users than Mac. :)
I did one thing for a business site I'd never seen before. The logo in the header had a black background, but had spaces on both sides at higher resolutions, so I created a black bar, and centered the logo. It's interesting to watch the text being re-aligned as you drag the page to a smaller screen area, while the logo just recenters itself. :)
Have you used this website: http://cooltext.com /

[snip]

One difference is that ME had the new, less helpful and more fragile, help system. I never found Windows help very helpful.
[snip]

That could explain it. That crap would have gotten 98SE too.
Another reason may be that 2000 was already available, and that was better (where "better" means not as bad).

I'm trying to keep an old computer working, for a friend. It uses an old 166 MHz Pentium (I upgraded the CPU but the MB won't accept a faster MMX chip). That machine won't boot with a hard drive larger than 8.4GB. It's getting hard to find drives that small.
[snip]

I currently use 'classic view' on Windows XP, which can be made to behave reasonably. I'd rather get away from Windows completely, but there's always a few things that require it.
[snip]

I think there was a misunderstanding there. Arachnophelia requires Java on your development system. In no way does it require site users to have Java (or even JavaScript). I've been using it for about 5 years and the site I maintain just uses server-side scripts (PHP).
BTW, I wouldn't use it if it required users to have Java. Even the few JavaScripts on the site are optional.

I've seen a lot of poorly written sites that don't look right unless you have the right size screen. Text can be printed in the wrong place, such as on top of other text. This seems to be a common problem with fancy layouts.
BTW, unexplained JS dependence can also cause wierd stuff, including links that go the wrong place (even endless loops).

Audio / Video should be optional, and NOT auto-starting.

Maybe a lot of people think Linux is socially unacceptable, and so won't admit it. I don't have THAT problem, and will admit to using Linux most of the time (including writing this).

I will when I have time. I've got to go now.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us