OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 12 of 16
It was a momentary flash of passive agressive behaviour.

why would you post 20k of bullshit from other threads? It's pretty clear you did it for a reason, so do you mind explaining why? If not, welcome to my KF.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I would think that someone has already mentioned OE QuoteFix to you but on the odd chance that they have not, I will.
It is a small program that works in conjunction with Outlook Express. It does a couple of things: it colors quoted text so that it is easy to read (for you) and it will automatically open a post to which you are replying with the cursor at the bottom thus complying with Usenet ettiquette..
Personally, I think bottom posting is a PITA especially since so many people quote reams of previous posts to make a "me too" reply. However, after months of flack, I capitulated and bottom post but only because OE QuoteFix positions the cursor for me.
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/9/2012 1:25 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Bottom posting is much easier to follow. If the thread it too long, snipping solves the problem. Small minds have trouble grasping this simple logic. Chronic top-posting in Usenet is trolling IMO.
BTW: I don't think Windows bundles OE anymore. OE seems to be becoming a thing of the past. I dropped it because the quote fix only caused more problems. YMMV
gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

some times EITHER can be appropriate, and neither are trolling. One could equally say that s is trolling, and be MUCH closer to the truth, since the more an item is cross posted the more likely it is to be a troll.
IMO, If an "original" post is so important, once could certainly take the time to post the post individually not cross post it. If it is a group you don't read, you shouldn't be posting there anyway, except at times when responding to some one who cross posted. Even then it is best to redirect the follow ups, to only one of the groups, like this one is.

yeceech, but nice wallpaper] jk
I did try a more recent version of win XP, but that didn't come with OE. I'm rather fond of OE, in spite of the reputation as virus magnet.

My most recent acquisition, does not seem to have it. [Win 7, echh yeceech, but nice wallpaper] jk
On Apr 9, 6:51pm, "Stormin Mormon"

All versions of WXP came with OE.
After considerable fussing around, I found a window with a bunch of check boxes. Had to check the box for OE, to make it work. So, very possibly, the newer version of XP had OE, but I didn't know that.

All versions of WXP came with OE.
On Apr 9, 2:37pm, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:
Sometimes it is better to top post.

Sometimes it is better to bottom post. Only small minds try to insist that all posts be the same.
Dan
On 4/9/2012 3:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

I thought "chronic" was a fairly common word.
Chronic = always present.
From the TV show MASH, there was a Burns quote. Something like "It's OK to be individual as long as we all do it together."
Sometimes it is better to bottom post. Only small minds try to insist that all posts be the same.
Dan
Stormin Mormon wrote:

In real life, 'Frank Burns' wouldn't have lasted a week in a field hospital. I met exactly ONE officer like him, while in the army. He was a brown nosing Captain. He was General Mark's Aide with no personality and a love for putting people on report. I'll bet he remembered that meeting for a long, long time. He was one of the four men I knocked down in Alaska when they were blocking the entrance to a building when it was below -40. He was mad as hell, but the two officers that outranked him, just laughed it off. :)

Frank Burns eats woms. Sounds like the other guy did, also.
In real life, 'Frank Burns' wouldn't have lasted a week in a field hospital. I met exactly ONE officer like him, while in the army. He was a brown nosing Captain. He was General Mark's Aide with no personality and a love for putting people on report. I'll bet he remembered that meeting for a long, long time. He was one of the four men I knocked down in Alaska when they were blocking the entrance to a building when it was below -40. He was mad as hell, but the two officers that outranked him, just laughed it off. :)

I sense there is more to the story. They were blocking the building, because?
In real life, 'Frank Burns' wouldn't have lasted a week in a field hospital. I met exactly ONE officer like him, while in the army. He was a brown nosing Captain. He was General Mark's Aide with no personality and a love for putting people on report. I'll bet he remembered that meeting for a long, long time. He was one of the four men I knocked down in Alaska when they were blocking the entrance to a building when it was below -40. He was mad as hell, but the two officers that outranked him, just laughed it off. :)

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not only did that general laugh it off, but a month later he was back with his photographer & a letter of commendation when I was promoted. :)

I'm glad to hear that someone in the military still has common sense. Way to go!
The one time I was tempted to clear a door. I'd just opened the door to a public bathroom. Having just washed my hands and all. There was a fellow standing exactly in the doorway. I was tempted to body slam the guy, and then apologize up and down that I didn't see him standing in such an obviously stupid place. What I did was to close the door, wait several seconds, and hope he moved. He didn't, so I squeezed past him.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not only did that general laugh it off, but a month later he was back with his photographer & a letter of commendation when I was promoted. :)

One of my favorite military stories. I read in Readers Digest. A military flight simulator stopped working. One of the "other ranks" noticed a fuse holder, and had a look. Sure enough, the 5 amp fuse had blown. So, on his next trip off base, he bought a pack of fuses. Came back, put the fuse in, and the similulator runs again.
The higher rank asked what had happened. Proceeded to give the other rank a good yelling at. But, left the new fuse in, and went on with flight training.
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 13:37:47 -0500, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

Just curious. My newest OS on any of my computers is XP-Pro. I know my older OSs have OE. I think my XP-pro has it, but I wont say for sure, and that computer is not available at the moment.
The question is when did MS stop including OE, and what is the replacement called?
I've been using computers from before Windows even existed, and began using the internet when it first was created. Yet, I have never used OE. I've always used Agent for usenet and Eudora, Thunderbird for email. I tried OE and never liked it, not to mention it's bad reputation for attracting malware.
I dont see myself ever going to an OS higher than XP. With Facebook taking over the entire internet, I dont even see myself using the internet in 5 years from now, since I refuse to use FB. So, right now, I can use XP, Win2000, or Win98se. All of them work just fine for what I do. Being older, I can use any of these old OSs for the rest of my life, particularly if I disconnect from the internet, which I see happening soon.
Either way, I like to know what's included with the newer OSs.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

XP pro has it. If you don't see it in the menus, open Help and type Outlook express in the search box. A page with a link will open.

Go to add or remove programs>add/remove windows components>check outlook express box>next - to enable OE.
Ron wrote:

It's on the computer, but the menu shortcut was removed. It opened when I clicked the link from the 'help' page. If I 'wanted' to use OE from the menu I would have to remove, then reinstall it.