OT: Apology to Stormin' Mormon

Page 2 of 16

Well, basically, he met us half-way. Doesn't that count for something? I think so.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Like your two dashes without the trialng space in your sig file? It still has to be removed, by hand. :)

Not if you are using Thunderbird :)
Ron wrote:

It doesn't work with a lot of programs that fail to follow the convention, but it's nice in the ones that do. I still use Netscape 4.78 for Usenet, because I like the way it works. I also have several thousand e-mail and Usenet messages archived. I can search for information, even when my broadband is down. :)

The space character is there.
Your newsreader, or your server, must be stripping off the space.
--
Tegger

"Sigs" come from the client. My client (GNUS) reads .signature but does not expect to find the delimiter there. It supplies that itself.
--
Dan Espen

Sigs are only to lead the reader to a website, or to state a point.
steve

An important function of the sig delimiter is so that clients can automatically remove the sig on reply.
A good example is your non-standard sig "steve" which did not get removed as shown above.
--
Dan Espen

writes:

I use that as a sign that I am willing to sign my name to what I write. Would you be so kind as to explain why one might not want to at least have their name show after their post? I can see why they may not want other things, but their first name would not be one of them.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

That explains why you're posting through a troll news server.

It's good to identify yourself, it just doesn't need to be scattered around the body of the message.
Sigs can be up to 4 lines long. (According to netiquette rules.) Having a bunch of sigs in the body of the conversation just adds noise.
These are just the rules as I understand them.
--
Dan Espen

I know nothing about this. Just followed apparent conventions. I've tacked my name below a post forever, using the double dash prefix. Just copied a convention I saw. Nobody ever complained, but something I saw in this thread made me wonder if that's a nuisance for some. Is it?
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

Not particularly but what you have is not a "sig". A sig is two dashes, a space, linefeed/carriage return then whatever you want in the sig. The two dashes and everything else will be stripped off when someone replies. The value is that it saves space and bandwidth; not much but some.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Got it. I think.
--
Vic

Looks fine, here. I deleted a bunch of text, left in what's relevant.
Got it. I think.
--
Vic

Almost there... Add a space character (tap the space bar) after the double-hyphen, THEN hit the return/enter key.
--
Tegger

When I went to reply with that very post, using Agent, Agent deleted the -- and Vic. But I never sent it. Now I'll do the same thing with this one, and actually send the reply.
--

Vic

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:22:32 -0500, Vic Smith

See. The -- and Vic are gone. Maybe you replied to a Stormin Moron reply in the thread. He would fuck up a wet dream. Or maybe what you use doesn't work like Agent. Anyway, unless somebody complains, I'm done with tinkering.
--

Vic

It worked!!
--
Tegger

Last night, I put the Duracell in the freezer. Figured I could shrink the battery. Warm the tube up later, and expand the tube. It was a fun idea, but didn't release the corroded battery.
The batteries were (are) Duracell. The Duracell people have a guarantee, so I'm going to box up the flash light and mail it back, today. With any luck, it will cost me ten bucks to mail a twenty dollar flash light. Can't win, hardly.