OT: APC Surge Protectors Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

The surge protectors can overheat, smoke and melt, posing a fire hazard.
https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Schneider-Electric-Recalls-APC-Surge-Protectors/
On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 21:32:43 -0400, Brother Harry

A P C,
A Peice of Crap.
Not impressed by any of their products - their "consumer" products in particular.
wrote in message wrote: >

A P C,
A Peice of Crap.
Not impressed by any of their products - their "consumer" products in particular.
This did NOT make my day. I have 2 UPC back up items. So far OK. WW
On 10/07/2013 09:32 PM, Brother Harry wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up.
Turns out I've got one of the affected APC units so I submitted a claim. The website says to discontinue use of the defective APC product until the replacement arrives in 12 weeks.
12 weeks? Really? I hope it arrives in time for Christmas.
So I ordered a metal-cased Tripp Lite isobar from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow.

Love those, especially the rf filtered ones.
Greg
On 10/7/2013 9:32 PM, Brother Harry wrote:

I feel a certain sadness, when a device turns out to be more dangerous than the danger it's paid to relieve. We didn't get surged, but we got burned down.
On 10/7/2013 7:32 PM, Brother Harry wrote:

Would be interesting the exact reason for overheating.
All are over 10 yrs old. About 60% of the years covered are before UL1449 (2ed) required thermal disconnects for overheating MOVs (Aug 1998).
Schneider acquired APC in 2007, after the recall years. Schneider also owns SquareD (1991).