OT: APC Surge Protectors Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

The surge protectors can overheat, smoke and melt, posing a fire hazard.

Brother Harry

A P C,

A Peice of Crap.

Not impressed by any of their products - their "consumer" products in particular.

Reply to
clare

Thanks for the heads-up.

Turns out I've got one of the affected APC units so I submitted a claim. The website says to discontinue use of the defective APC product until the replacement arrives in 12 weeks.

12 weeks? Really? I hope it arrives in time for Christmas.

So I ordered a metal-cased Tripp Lite isobar from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow.

Reply to
ralph

I feel a certain sadness, when a device turns out to be more dangerous than the danger it's paid to relieve. We didn't get surged, but we got burned down.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A P C,

A Peice of Crap.

Not impressed by any of their products - their "consumer" products in particular.

This did NOT make my day. I have 2 UPC back up items. So far OK. WW

Reply to
WW

Would be interesting the exact reason for overheating.

All are over 10 yrs old. About 60% of the years covered are before UL1449 (2ed) required thermal disconnects for overheating MOVs (Aug 1998).

Schneider acquired APC in 2007, after the recall years. Schneider also owns SquareD (1991).

Reply to
bud--

Love those, especially the rf filtered ones.

Greg

Reply to
gregz