OT - Anyone Know a Simple US Street Map Website?

<OT> I'm surprised that there are no "maps" usenet groups! I could just find two - alt.binaries.maps and sci.geography.cartography - both of which are dead. So I'm posting OT because there are a few humans here..... best I can tell. LOL! Anyway....
Google & mapquest are fine, but with my system, it takes forever for all their data files to load. Don't need street views, mileage or travel time calc, or locations of hotels, etc.... just a quick site where I can enter a street address and get a simple street map. Anyone know about one?
Thanks in advance.
Bob </OT>
Guv Bob wrote, on Tue, 15 Jul 2014 21:17:48 -0800:

alt.rec.geocaching alt.satellite.gps
And, then, of course, there are the mobile apps groups: comp.mobile.android comp.mobile.ipad etc.
Guv Bob wrote:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=4/38.00/-80.46
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 21:17:48 -0800, "Guv Bob"

There were humans here. That was before the barians from across the frontier came on their motorcycles and scared most of them away, and killed most of the rest. Me and my wife and my 18-year old daughter been hiding in the basement of the photography studio ever since. It's a good place to hide. None of the barians want their picture taken, and they killed the tographer anyhow.

We got no net in the basement, so this is all by memory: I would think most of those don't load until reeqwested, except for the names of businesses like hotels. .

Most every entry for a place, in Wikip, includes the long and lat and if you click on them it takes you here http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Indianapolis_Motor_Speedway&params9_47_54_N_86_13_58_W_region:US-IN_type:landmark
Well this is specifically the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but it will enable you to try 15 different map sites, and 23 satellite sites and a lot of "other".

Great! Thanks Jesse!
I wrote a program myself, GMapKit, so that I could use Google maps without enabling script in webpages or downloading software. It's a simple thing that displays a map for any location, provides zooming, moving the map, incorporates streetview/satellite/ hybrid/road map styles, drawing on the map and saving it as an image file.
I don't know whether it's what you need but you can take a look. It's free. It uses the Google Maps API, which is free for anyone to use provided that a Google logo is included in the software. (There's also a Google website explaining how to use their maps API, if that's your cup of tea.)
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/gmapkit.php5
<OT> I'm surprised that there are no "maps" usenet groups! I could just find two - alt.binaries.maps and sci.geography.cartography - both of which are dead. So I'm posting OT because there are a few humans here..... best I can tell. LOL! Anyway....
Google & mapquest are fine, but with my system, it takes forever for all their data files to load. Don't need street views, mileage or travel time calc, or locations of hotels, etc.... just a quick site where I can enter a street address and get a simple street map. Anyone know about one?
Thanks in advance.
Bob </OT>
On 7/16/2014 1:17 AM, Guv Bob wrote:

Folks in garmin ng might give answer alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Frank wrote:

Is Google Earth no good for OP?

That looks to be very handy. Many thanks,
--

dadiOH

I don't know. If they really understood maps, would they need a GPS?
micky wrote:

Try geocaching with a map:
www.geocaching.com