OT: Anyone following the Malaysian 777 missing/crashed?

Page 5 of 5
there was a proposal to replace all the luggage containers on airliners with the blast resistant type. they would direct the explosive force downward, to do minimal damage to the aircraft.
this wasnt adopted because of costs and added weight.
all airliners should be sending telemetary back to home base by satellite at all times, so mysteries like this wouldnt occur in the future.
wouldnt it be something if the airliner was fine and someone stole it with the passengers onboard....
On Monday, March 10, 2014 11:19:13 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

I agree that might help solve the mystery and it's a good idea. Some planes already send back info that way, including the 777, particularly if a problem is detected by the planes maintenance systems. But there is no guarantee that would solve the mystery. Both the radar and ADS-B data which are continuous, disappear at the same point in time. Prior to that everything was normal. So, if there was a sudden catastrophic event you might just see normal data to the satellite until the same point in time.

The Malaysian military has been saying since yesterday that they believe they tracked it on radar from the point it was last seen, but at a lower altitude and it headed back over what looks like southern Thailand towards the seas on the west coast of Thailand. If that's true, then it suggests the transponders were turned off, it descended and continued to fly on, which, if true, would almost certainly be some kind of foul play. And your suggested continous data feed would help there, provided there is no way for the pilots to turn it off.
An even simpler change that might easily be implemented would be for it to be impossible to turn off the transponders once a plane leaves the ground. I wonder why no one thought of that, especially post 911? I can't think of a reason why a plane would ever need to turn it off once it's taken off. If this plane had that, we'd know if it went beyond where it was last seen.