OT: Anyone else noticed the saturation coverage of Irene?

Page 2 of 2
On 8/28/2011 12:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I would not call him an idiot, just somebody who never learned that a window is not a wall. Not many hurricanes here in Great Lakes area (just the massive rains from the dying ones that make it up this far), but we do get plenty of tornadoes. From grade school on, they pound it in to everyone, that 'if you can see daylight, you are in danger'. Even if you are in a typical modern cheaply-built apartment, taking refuge in the bathroom when it starts getting noisy improves your survival chances a lot.
Even if the death/injury count stays low, my sympathies go out to all affected. Storm cleanup is an expensive PITA, and it takes forever when local trades get swamped. I still have trees from the little baby Memorial Day storm laying in back yard, as do many of my neighbors. Local governments threw in the towel on debris pickup around 4th of July, and told residents they were on their own for the rest of it- no more money, and crews needed to start on summer road repairs.
--
aem sends...

<stuff snipped>

lot.
Kids get less and less useful training and more and more about how to do well on multiple guess tests. Not many get shops classes either. Or can balance a checkbook. You'd be surprised at how few even know how to alphabetize a list of names without a computer. My MD friend's constantly complaining about the declining level of skills for physician's assistants.

But it's actually going to be good for the economy as temporarily, at least, insurers inject a lot of rebuilding cash into the local economy. Of course, they'll get it all back once they send out the next premium bills . . .

I have a mound of not quite mulch still sitting in my front yard from when they hacked up the remaining roots of the red maple that died quite some time ago (the last huge ice storm). The city assures me it will "dissipate naturally" but it hasn't gone anywhere. My wife's likely to force the issue soon, and make me spread it around the shrubs and such. I'm just determined to prove the city's lying through their teeth when they say "it will disappear naturally."

Yep, I pay over $1000 a year to just the city in taxes and I get garbage collection, the occasional tree removed and very little else for that $.
-- Bobby G.

That happened later and appears to be the usual "exception to the rule" The summary of those killed today were mostly people who died due to their own actions.
Harry K

It is a media feeding frenzy trying to build a fairly routine small hurricane into a natinal disaster. Lots of hype, near nothing for excitement or damages yet. I did see a couple trees...well, saplings that I could have pushed over by myself shown on the evening news. They reported a huge death toll so far....all of 4. I'll bet those were idiots.
A lot of people do behave stupidly in the face of seriously bad weather. I've seen survivor of "hurricane parties" interviewed. They were on the upper floors in a multiple story hotel, getting drunk as skunks, when the storm surge collapsed the lower floors, sending them in the dark, storm whipped waters below. Most died and were swept out far to sea but a few survived "to tell the tale" like Moby Dick's Ishmael by clinging all night to floating debris. It's a simple program in pseudocode:
IF you're living in the Southeast US AND your home's below sea level AND CAT

THEN evacuate ELSE die.
-- Bobby G.

What is a fairly routine hurricane in an area where the last hurricane was in something like the 1940s? Besides you have to remember that, at least by definition of the East Coasters, *ANY* pending disaster in NYC, DC, etc., is automatically worse than any other disaster in the rest of the country (grin). So far, most of the deaths I have seen detailed are mostly tree limbs through windows, etc. FWIW.

That's where there is a high population concentration.

Due to winds caused by the hurricane.

Fox News will turn that into: Conservative columnist suggests ending support for Israel!
-- Bobby G.

Yep, a whole bunch of reporters out there scrambling to find a "story"...and failing. Other than the power outages, which are a major problem, not much except a few trees down plus flooding.
Harry K