OT: Anyone else noticed the saturation coverage of Irene?

Kids get less and less useful training and more and more about how to do well on multiple guess tests. Not many get shops classes either. Or can balance a checkbook. You'd be surprised at how few even know how to alphabetize a list of names without a computer. My MD friend's constantly complaining about the declining level of skills for physician's assistants.

But it's actually going to be good for the economy as temporarily, at least, insurers inject a lot of rebuilding cash into the local economy. Of course, they'll get it all back once they send out the next premium bills . . .

I have a mound of not quite mulch still sitting in my front yard from when they hacked up the remaining roots of the red maple that died quite some time ago (the last huge ice storm). The city assures me it will "dissipate naturally" but it hasn't gone anywhere. My wife's likely to force the issue soon, and make me spread it around the shrubs and such. I'm just determined to prove the city's lying through their teeth when they say "it will disappear naturally."

Yep, I pay over $1000 a year to just the city in taxes and I get garbage collection, the occasional tree removed and very little else for that $.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

What is a fairly routine hurricane in an area where the last hurricane was in something like the 1940s? Besides you have to remember that, at least by definition of the East Coasters, *ANY* pending disaster in NYC, DC, etc., is automatically worse than any other disaster in the rest of the country (grin). So far, most of the deaths I have seen detailed are mostly tree limbs through windows, etc. FWIW.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

How the hell do you NOT get caught "flat-footed" by an EARTHQUAKE? Those kinda just pop up out of nowhere without any scientifically measurable warning.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I am not saying they did wrong, just that they were playing catch-up with the story as it unfolded. Most news bureaus have constantly update obituary files of famous people to handle unexpected deaths. In the same way news orgs have what used to be called "morgues" where you can pull up pre-researched "continuous" sorts of stories like the last blizzard, facts and figures, who to contact, etc. A 5.8 here on the east coast is SO rare that they could not help but be flat-footed.

I wasn't implying error, just unpreparedness which they overcompensated for by making Irene sound like the Four Horsemen of the Porklips were on their way into town.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Live somewhere else.

Reply to
krw

Basically what happened to me. Only near flooding I had was when toilet sprung a pinhole leak in the shut off valve.

Reply to
Frank

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:uu6dnYLSnNaTDMbTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's where there is a high population concentration.

Due to winds caused by the hurricane.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

"Robert Green" wrote in news:j3guf4$4bb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's not something that happens every year all the way up the east coast.

Reply to
FlavorFlav