OT: any guess?

Page 1 of 2
Army to replace 9mm pistol with more reliable gun packing better 'knock down' power
<http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/12/army-to-replace-mm-pistol-with-more-reliable-gun-packing-better-knock-down/
========= Any guess as to what the replacement will be?
How about an M1911?
Duh, no wonder we haven't been able to win a military conflict since 1945.
On 7/12/2014 6:21 PM, Zaky Waky wrote:

I don't have any specifics. But, I can list the paramaters the military is likely to use:
* Will turn out to be less knock down power. After all, our POTUS doesn't want to hurt enemy soldiers. * Will be a caliber never used before, and not interchangeable with existing ammo. * Production ammo will have high rate of misfires. However, it will be eco friendly steel or other non toxic projectile (aluminum?) and use minimal fossil fuels. * Existing pistols will be cut up and melted down before new pistols are issued. * Ammo will be made only in Iran and China.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That has already happened with the old green tipped 5.56 round. The new M885A1 is a solid copper bullet with a steel penetrator, no lead. I suppose the new pistol round will follow suit and I doubt they can maintain lethality in 9mm.
Special Ops guys are already using a .45 H&K pistol and the preferred 9mm is a SIG. The open question is what "green" bullet they will decide on. There has been talk of tungsten cores but that is a tough metal to get in quantity without importing it from countries that may not like us much. (China and Russia are the major producers)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

No lead? Well thanks to our political leaders I guess it is more important to be Green, than to win.
What was the last military conflict we won? Korea? Vietnam? Afghanistan? or was it Iraq?
On 7/13/2014 9:12 PM, Zaky Waky wrote:

I think the last clear victory was Kent State.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Waco was after that.
On 7/13/2014 9:49 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Oh, gosh. How quickly I forget! You are so kind to remind me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Kuwait and Grenada were pretty decisive. We actually won the war in Iraq, it was the "peace" that we lost.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What? war is to keep peace, right? Then Iraq war was lost cause. I was part of Korean war, Vietnam war, at best draw or lost too. When America will learn to finish what she started? Eisenhower and Nixon ended them, never finished.
On Monday, July 14, 2014 1:16:02 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

IDK on what basis the Korean war was a draw or lost. South Korea was invaded by the commies from the north. They were driven out of South Korea. Today you have 50 mil people living in prosperity and freedom in the south. And 25 mil starving under a brutal dictatorship in the north. That's a huge victory, any way that you look at it.

Exactly how would you propose we do that? And no idea what you're talking about with the Eisenhower comments. What are you saying, that Eisenhower should have gone to war with China? Good grief.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 00:59:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Imagine if we had lost the peace in Germany and Japan 1945.
ISTM, if you can't win the peace, you did no good winning the battles.

If you consider our relationship with the Soviets, the end of WWII may have been in the early 90s when the wall came down but we still have troops in Germany and Japan..
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:55:41 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The mistake in Korea was MacArthur believing that he could take over North Korea. When he went above the 38th parallel, he brought in the Chinese and the war was lost. It just took us 3 more years of fighting to figure it out. If we had simply stopped at the current DMZ in 1950 and negotiated the same deal we ended up with 3 years later, we could call it a win for all the reasons you cite.
On Monday, July 14, 2014 11:51:06 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On what basis do you claim it was lost? South Korea has 50 mil people living in peace, freedom and prosperity. If the war had been lost, they would be starving in a commie cult death camp, ie North Korea.
It just took us 3 more years of fighting

It's still a win for all those reasons.

Kuwait is the Iraq conflict. Iraq looks like it's still an active conflict.
Grenada population: approx 100,000 U.S. population: approx 250,000,000
yes, we beat a country 250 times smaller than us.

Kuwait morphed into the Iraq conflict but it was originally supposed to stop when Saddam left Kuwait. Only the neocons in the US insisted we stay involved and try to get rid of Saddam, mostly to protect Israel. Those were on both sides of the aisle

Have we ever beat a country larger than us?
On 7/14/2014 3:59 PM, Zaky Waky wrote:

Holy crap. we lost 80 million people doing it too!
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:51:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

He did that against orders didn't he?

Wichita is a long way from the the Mexican border. I figure once Mexico reclaims Texas and the rest of the south west, they'll be happy to stay there. Since I already speak some Spanish, I'm not worried.
Comprende?
snip

Seems like no military "actions" the U.S. has been involved in since WW2 were declared (by congress) wars. They are all "conflicts".