OT anti-lock brakes.

Page 1 of 6
On the People's Court, woman turning left, many hits her from behind when she stops because of cross traffic.
Man drivign SUV says roughly that "on the newer cars, anti-lock braking prevents the wheels from locking up so one stops slowly."
I thought on dry, non-gravel-covered roads, anti-lock braking had no effect.
Even after he lost, he thought it was the fault of the driver in front.

I saw that too. Going as slow as both litigants stated and agreed to (about 5 mph), ABS had no part in the cause of the accident. He wasn't paying attention, plain and simple. Even if ABS takes a millisecond longer to stop, he was following too close for the vehicle he was driving, not paying attention, or bad brakes. None of the excuses hold water.
I am under the impression that ABS keeps the tires from sliding which will in fact stop quicker in ALL circumstances by not letting the tire lose traction and control. Once a tire locks up, there is no traction, or at least very little.
If you ever get the chance, try driving on ice without ABS. You will then see how good ABS is.
Hank

"Driving" would not be affected unless you had traction control along with ABS.

Eh, *good* ABS is good. *BAD* ABS, which I've experienced, can in fact cause significantly increased braking distances in some conditions compared to not having it at all. But good tires make even more of a difference; and <5 MPH ABS is not a factor as often the wheel speed sensors don't have the resolution to distinguish between very slow wheel rotation and a stopped or locked wheel. So the ABS shuts itself off at very low speeds in most (all?) cases.
nate

Most are halls effect and can distiguish between any movement at all and stopped. There are not any "resolution" issues.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 05:32:31 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

basically AC generators - so YES, speed IS an issue. If they were Hall Effect they would, generally, be 3 wire active devices - and all I've seen and worked on are only 2 wire.
Also, check the manual re: how to check ABS sensors. AC voltmeter - turn the wheel and note voltage. Compare wheel to wheel to determine if one is weak. That means they are pulse generators, not interupters. The faster they turn, the higher the amplitude of the pulse (or highe voltage).
So the ABS shuts itself off at very low speeds in most (all?) cases.
That's my experience. I back out onto a steep alley. When there is snow or ice I must go as slow as possible. The ABS will not work and at times have slid the entire length.

This is a common complaint with ABS of all makes, especially once the tires get a bit worn.
--
Tegger

My complaint, when going very slow my anti lock will come on, on bumpy roads, and when you get wheel hop, and the anti lock feature is a hazard in this case. Especially on one downhill slope onto an artery.
Greg

reluctor wheel.

length.
<snip>

I thought the bottom-end cutoff for ABS was around 10 or 15 mph.
--
Tegger

It depends on the particular system and how it is programmed, but below 5 MPH I would suspect that nearly all will be inactive at that point.
nate

Not sure where to post this: She indeed said she was going 5MPH, but I was more curious about ABS at all speeds.

My Buick ABS will kick in at a walking pace, much less than 5 mph. Only on slippery road, I've never tried stomping them on dry at that speed.
In

My current vehicle seems to shut them off at about 12 mph last I tested it.

N8N wrote:

Any owner. manual talks about this.

Not mine.
I don't have ABS. :)
I have to depend on you guys.

There are MANY situations where I can stop much quicker without ABS than with - particularly in sloppy wet snow conditions. I have had the brakes virtually "go away" under those conditions - while without ABS you can slide the tires enough to let them "dig through" the slop - giving you a fighting chance at getting stopped - sideways - whatever..
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:21:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't have ABS, but I've had that feeling when I thought about it, that it woudl do what you say.
I've actually driven very well on ice and snow, except that one time there was no ice most places and black ice where the road bent to the right and I slid to the outside lane and hit the car coming the other way. Totalled his car, 3000 for mine, bumped my knee but no one hurt.
Happend at 6PM. The next day, when I tried to get out of bed, my leg wouldn't work. I told it to straighten so I could stand on it and it didnt' do anything. I had to use my hands to straighten it, to go to the bathroom. Spent the day in bed. All day, leg didnt' work. Next day, leg is fine. Works fine, jab it everywhere and nothing hurts at all. My body was like the doctor saying, Give it a rest for a day.