OT, Another WTF Moment

Wish that I had carried out lots of stuff from where I retired from. The company had a good retirement when I started. Then after about 25 years they changed the retirement program and in effect stole about $ 15,000 per year from me and others. I also could have retired about 7 years sooner with the same or more money.
The gov't stole about 20 gallons of gasoline from me, over the years. I put back a $20 bill in the 1980s. Back then, it would buy 25 gallons of gasoline. Now it will buy 5 gallons. Someone stole those 20 gallons from me, and that was the good stuff before they started with this ethanol diluant.
On 8/3/2013 3:07 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

<stuff snipped>

I *knew* we would get a confession out of you eventually. (-:
Signed, Inspector Javert
But seriously. When certain Federal agencies (which PRISM requires me not to mention) instituted polygraphs for new hires, they scrupulously eliminated anyone who admitted to trying *any* kind of illegal drug or who had admitted to stealing anything from the workplace. When the recruit pool dwindled down to far too few candidates to choose from, they then instituted a policy of evaluating the nature of the trangressions.
I think the questions are now phrased "did you ever take anything worth more than $20 from an employer?" and whether illicit drug use occurred within the last 3 years. That should give you some idea of the prevalance of employee theft.
Speaking of polygraphs, there's a huge debate occurring at sensitive agencies asking how Snowden clearly slipped through the vetting process with a major loose screw going undetected. I believe, like GZ, Snowden was a washout, only he washed out of Special Forces. Rejection has driven more than a few people right off rails.
People steal more today because they feel more entitled for a number of reasons. The changing dynamic from "employer for life" to "contract employer" had had an effect. When a company reneges on its committments to employees, theft skyrockets because it becomes morally justified by employees. "The company screwed me so I will screw them."
--
Bobby G.

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 04:16:12 -0400, "Robert Green"

People have always stolen if they thought they could get away with it. A friend of my Dad's ran a stable, not exactly a big dollar operation. He had a couple employees. He rigged the phones so he could eavesdrop on the employees and found them bragging about how they stole money from the place when he wasn't around. Then they'd wonder why he fired them. Another friend of Dad's died and the guys wife had to go to work in a restaurant to keep some money coming in. She regularly stole lots of money straight from the cash register. Another friend of his was President of one of those Animal Fraternal Organizations and that guy and another guy did the bartending at the "club" and they would pocket hundreds of dollars at the end of each evening. My Dad would never steal a dime.
When I cooked chicken for the Cornell we found one of the area supervisors was sending the regular managers home and closing up their stores for the night and in the process he'd throw out a few hundred dollars worth of receipts and pocket the money. He got fired. That was one of those things where I thought it was so stupid to lose a good job like that for a few hundred extra dollars a month.
I'd admit to stealing office supplies and a few nuts and bolts (but I also donated many many unpaid hours) as well as paid for awards and cakes and stuff for my people that the company would not pay for. Even so, it still makes me feel a little bad for taking anything...
On 8/6/2013 4:03 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
**********Clip Codswallop**********

I've told the guys working for me that if they needed something, just ask. I need to keep up with supplies and if someone walks off with a whole box it can cause a problem. If they need an item that cost's a lot of money, I let them pay for it over time. I drilled into them that missing supplies caused job delays and more money than some screws, nuts and bolts are worth. So just ask. ^_^
TDD
<stuff snipped>

That's probably the best explanation. "Are there serious consequences for theft?"

Sometimes I think the Ten Commandents enumerates the most basic bad human behavior. IOW most people have to be reminded not to steal, not to kill, not covet, etc. because that's what many will do without "guidance."
When I worked at a mob-owned pizzeria a "confederate" would order 4 pizzas just before closing but not pick them up. They would then go in the trash to be retrieved by under-fed and very hungry dorm roommates. That was before I knew the mob ran that place and when I did, we stopped the practice. The potential consequences are what stopped us.
I've read that when Jimmy Hoffa ran the Teamster's pension funds, he never lost a dime but when Federal trustees took over the funds, they lost money by the dumptruck load.
--
Bobby G.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 03:42:47 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

What do you have against planning ahead??
On 08-02-2013 19:08, Frank wrote:

At one place I worked, a rather small lady took a large empty box. I suppose she needed it for moving. I was leaving the plant right behind her. She tossed the box over the ten-foot fence, and CLICK, the turnstile locked and the speaker spewed, "What's in that box?"
I'm thinking, "If there were anything of any size in that box. she couldn't have thrown it like that, and if it were of any value, it isn't after falling ten feet onto the parking lot."
But before I could say that, the guard said something like, "Hold it where we can look inside."
Now I'm thinking, "Odd to ask her to do anything with the box after you locked the gate between her and it."
--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.

There are lots of very light, yet valuable items. In addition, value is in the eye of the beholder. A small, relatively unbreakable item, cushioned with lots of bubble wrap, could easily survive a ten-ten foot fall.

Now I'm thinking, "Odd that someone could throw a large empty box over a ten-foot fence." I would have liked to have seen her technique.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It might have been folded up, like when you buy them. And we don't know how big is 'big'.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it was folded up, why would Wes have wondered what could have been in it? Why would the guards have asked her to open it so they could look inside? Why would she have had to throw it over the fence?
Even folded up, I would like to see the technique used. Frisbee style perhaps? 10' feet is fairly high when trying to throw an object that will catch wind, unless of course the wind was in her favor. Maybe it was windy enough that she just threw it straight up and the wind carried it over. ;-)
<stuff snipped>

You would have made more than a passable reporter, asking nagging questions like that!
Maybe it was a box kite? Maybe she was a former discus thrower who "spun up" the box to "escape" velocity? Maybe NBC reporters had previously strapped a rocket motor to the box? The possibilities are endless.

That's it. The winds were in her favor. For some odd reason I am reminded of Nixon's secretary Rose Mary Woods showing press photographers how she could have "accidentally" erased critical footage from the Nixon Tapes by stretching her arms and legs out to a near impossible "split" and trying to convince people she held them that way for 18 minutes. Gotta admire her loyalty even if her veracity was questionable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rose_Mary_Woods.jpg
And the cow jumped over the moon . . . (-:
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

And the dog ate the tapes.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
wrote in message

Could be! (-: Dogs eat a lot of tape. Video tape, duct tape, cassette tape and more. Even evidence tapes
< http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2007/12/the-most-shocking-things-ever-found-inside-of-a-dogs-stomach/
(Read the comments - it's a wonder some of those mutts survived although the Nintendo pictures are claimed by some to be hoax.)
--
Bobby G.

On 08-03-2013 09:03, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I didn't wonder what was in it. It's trajectory (and her size) made it highly unlikely it had much weight.

Because it was too big to take through the exit turnstile.
--
Wes Groleau

Why does everyone call it a “fanny pack" ?

You snipped out the comment that I was responding to, which was the suggestion that the box might have been folded up.
It's somewhat a matter of semantics. In terms of responding to the comment that the box was folded up (which is what I was doing) "wondering what was in it" and "I'm thinking, "If there were anything of any size in that box. she couldn't have thrown it like that, and if it were of any value, it isn't after falling ten feet onto the parking lot" are pretty much the same thing.
The point being, if the box had been folded up when she tossed it over the fence, you probably wouldn't have thought about the size and value of the contents. That's all I was trying to say.

Remember, I was responding to the comment that the box might have been folded up. Granted, even a folded up box might be too big to fit through the turnstile, but based on the fact that you were musing about the contents, we can be pretty sure that It wasn't folded up.
On 8/4/2013 11:31 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

On 08-03-2013 05:58, DerbyDad03 wrote:

True. However, the only things worth stealing in our plant were electronics (other than personal things people may have brought in).
She might have been stealing a router, though in the 1980s, not very many would do that.
I was _never_ questioned, though I went past the same camera and through the same turnstile every day. I was always carrying a briefcase into which I could have fit--just barely--one of the Sun workstations that were stacked up higher than my head in an unlocked room ten feet from the door.
--
Wes Groleau

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
On 8/4/2013 10:38 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

It must have been one of those old inflatable Sun Workstations, they were pretty slick but didn't work all that well. I suppose inflatable computers were ahead of their time back then. ^_^
TDD
On 08-05-2013 01:34, The Daring Dufas wrote:

OK, I never actually tried to fit one in my briefcase, so I could be wrong. But it would have been close.
--
Wes Groleau

“Ideas are more powerful than guns,