OT: Another runaway Toyota in San Diego, unbelievable

Of course there is something to cash in on. At the very least, the guy becomes the celebrity du jour and has his 15 minutes of fame. He's got the media all over him and it wouldn't be unusual for him to wind up on Larry King, etc. That alone motivates some people. Remember the balloon boy in Denver?

Plus, while there are no actual damages, I wouldn't be surprised to find lawyers wanting to take the case for their publicity, claiming he now suffers from traumatic stress syndrome, in the hopes that Toyota and/or the dealer will give them some money to get lost.

Reply to
trader4

I don't disagree that it does happen. But as someone else noted a significant majority are pedal confusion. Studies have shown that some cars are more prone to pedal confusion that others. Seniors are particularly at risk.

There will be damages and people will sue. This guy could join a future class action suit and possibly get some money that way. This incident stinks to high heaven.

Frankly people that don't have enough sense to take a car out of gear when the accelerator is stuck probably should have failed the driving test. And be removed from the gene pool as well.

Many cars do lock the steering without taking the key out. But most of them will only do it when the shifter is in park. Not in nuetral. This is a safety feature so that you cannot accidentally lock the steering while the car is moving.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Last night they played the 91 recording. The operator did ask him about neutral and he was afraid as he thought the car might flip over. His license should be revoked and Toyota should give him a pack of bus tokens. Toyota may have caused the original problem, but he caused the rest by his own incompetence.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He was on the cell phone to 911 at the time. You know what they say about using a cell phone while driving..

Reply to
willshak

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

As I recall from the 911 conversation, when the 911 operator asked him if he could shift into neutral, he said he was just trying to control the car. I suppose he could have put down the cell phone and tried..

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote the following:

willshak