OT: Another computer question

As I noted the above thread, I plan to purchase a laptop. To add, it will be replacing my desktop, but I will still use my desktop monitor when applicable. I just learned they no longer make docking stations and adapters since history proved a low seller. Along with the monitor hookup, I'm hoping I can use my 5.1 surround sound system somehow, though uncertain how without the component connections.

Anyone currently have this type of setup or suggest how to use my speakers?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Meanie

Hi, Then make sure you choose a laptop which has HDMI output and video, sound card which is compatible with at least 5.1 HT system. My wife's Lenovo laptop is connected to A/V receiver with HDMI. Whatever she watch on Internet is routed to HT set up in our family room.

Our entire home is covered with WiFi using a wireless router(ZyXel USG

20W) which is bit more secure than consumer grade routers. We can move around with laptop in the house or outside patio.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

don't forget, unless money is real important, the latest are TouchScreens, similar to Tablets, unless you don't care about touchscreen

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:26:39 -0500, "Meanie" wrote in Re OT: Another computer question:

Your new laptop should have a digital-monitor output on the back and a stereo output jack somewhere. Make sure it has them and use them.

Reply to
CRNG

If you are not going to move the laptop around, why not just get a new desktop? I got a new Gateway that only came with mouse and keyboard and use my old monitor and speakers.

I did have a Canon scanner driver problem as Canon refused to update the driver after Vista.

My wife has a laptop and first thing she bought was a keyboard and mouse. She still prefers to do most of her stuff on her old desktop.

Reply to
Frank

You could use a USB sound card/adapter. Do a web search for "USB sound card for laptop" and there are all kinds available at low cost. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I don't know why "they" is, but I bought one for my new laptop and I'll probably be buying one for my wife's very soon.

There are also things called "docking stations" that connect via a single USB port. Newer ones use USB 3.0 so speed isn't of much concern. One I'm looking at seriously allows two external monitors and a pile of other stuff.

You're going to need an external "sound card". There are tons of them that are USB attached. Pick one.

Reply to
krw

Don't laptops have built in 5.1 nowadays? why the sound card? Does the built in chip/adapter not provide real 5.1? I'm asking out of curiosity as I have 7.1 built in on a new desktop board....

Reply to
Hench

None that I know of have built-in 5.1, for many reasons...

- Connectors are at a premium on laptops (much less so for desktops) - 5.1 isn't needed for mobile - USB works perfectly well for audio - USB audio is cheap - USB audio mess can be left behind when going mobile

...and probably a hundred other reasons

Reply to
krw

The stereo output will only work speakers with the 3.5mm male jack. My system uses the RCA style jack.

Reply to
Meanie

I will be using the laptop at times on a mobile basis.

Reply to
Meanie

Cool! They make them with RCA jacks and for a 5.1 system.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Gee - adapters are CHEAP and readily available.

Reply to
clare

Get a cable with 3.5mm plugs on one end and RCA on the other. There are also converters to go either way.

Reply to
krw

Gee - I recently learned about them. Why do you think I'm asking the group?

Reply to
Meanie

I'm talking adapters to plug the RCA red and white cables into the

1/8" stereo jack on the laptop - not the USB jobby
Reply to
clare

Ask your question in the appropriate news group to get *much* better responses:

alt.comp.hardware alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Are two where knowledgeable responders hang out. One (among many) named 'Paul' is a real guru when it comes to computer questions of any sort.

John

Reply to
John

Only thing I don't like about her laptop is the mouse and I think they are all the same where you use your thumb. Traveling with it, I take the wireless mouse. She also has an iPad but has added a keyboard to it. The iPad is much lighter and more convenient to travel with.

Reply to
Frank

Though, you may have seen, the general knowledge of computers is more than adequate within this group and many people are willing to help. Though, I do like the idea of a computer specific group. I'll add that to my newsgroup list.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

You are welcome, however I think you will find that the level of computer knowledge is way beyond anything you are likely to find here. Some of the responders build computers for a living. In so doing they can (and often do) back up their advice with published documentation, specifications and even will do chip research for you. The later is particularly valuable to anyone who intends to purchase a laptop and even more so to use it the manner that the op has proposed.

John

Reply to
John