OT: American rules of the road

Page 1 of 3
https://youtu.be/XA1X9f1HFQw?t=1m27s
Do you really have to merge precisely one car from each lane in order? How regimented.
--
Men, here's a tip for dealing with the little lady.
If you upset your wife or girlfriend then she will nag you.

No.
But I hear it referred to as a "Zipper Merge" and the consensus seems to be that it is proper practice.
Very, very little 'Regimentation' on US roads/highways compared to, say, The UK or Germany.
Try starting a thread on the proper way to come down an on-ramp and merge with traffic - and expect to get heated, diametrically-opposed views from many people.
Little or no driver education in the USA. For my money, many traffic tickets should require the person to take a certain number of hours of driver ed instead of just raising revenue for the state.... but that's not going to happen.
--
Pete Cresswell

So the motorbike rider was talking bollocks?

In the UK we just seem to be nice to each other. Not as nice as I would like, I always let people in and out when they need it, but when I'm waiting for a gap, I sometimes end up having to barge.

I don't see how that can have more than one view. The vehicles on the onramp should give way (yield) to the vehicles on the main road. But the ones on the main road should try to leave a gap if possible.

Isn't there a driver test you have to pass, just like here?

Only if tickets are for sensible things. I have no problem with those that go fast or run red lights.
--
Which sexual position produces the ugliest children?
Ask your mum.

Neither do I.
OTOH, neither do the dozens of dissenting people whose posts I have read...... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

I've never seen problems on a UK onramp. The drivers on the ramp match their sped to the main road and find a gap. Half the drivers on the main road try to make a gap, the other half don't bother.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 16:21:12 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

The zipper merge works best at the junction of a cloverleaf where you have people entering and exiting at the same place. When done in an orderly fashion, the merge moves along at 100km/h. For a second or two, you will be within a car length of the one in front and behind you. It just takes one tourist from Ohio who wants to stop and wait for a gap to screw the whole thing up.

Are your cloverleafs different? This is one of ours, I see nowhere where people are exiting and entering at the same point.
--
There are more men than women in mental hospitals - which just goes to show who's driving who crazy.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 20:10:48 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

Dunno, This is a cloverleaf and in the center where you have a steady line of cars coming up the ramp from one side and cars going down the ramp on the other a well disciplined zipper merge keeps them all going pretty fast. In the DC beltway some of these were built pretty tight because of land availability and it may only be a hundred meters of merge space between the on and the off ramp. At 100 km/h that goes by pretty fast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverleaf_interchange#/media/File:Cloverleaf_interchange.svg

Our state (CT) spent a zillion dollars last year to upgrade their computer system(s). As one would expect from such an agency, it was a fiasco and now, over a year later, its still quite a mess.
At the main headquarters office my usual wait for service (usually approx 30 mins) was now in excess of 3 hours. But the cake was that I was stopped by a St trooper who informed me that my registration had expired. Our is a multi-year and I pesonally remember renewing it and had papers to prove it. His answer was to tell the DMV. Well I did and was informed that I still HAD to pay it, including having the emissions testing redone ($$) and IF the state ever determine that they were wrong I would get a refund. Kind of makes citizens fume, correct. A couple of months later my daughter received the same mention and had to do the testing and renewal as well. Ain't government just grand?
I know there's nothing anyone can do about this but why is it almost predictable that big government will pay zillions of dollars and always get a defective software system.
Just venting.
On 9/18/16 6:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@worthless.info wrote:

Don't blame you a bit!
--
"If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable."
- Louis D. Brandeis

And I thought the UK system sucked.
--
United Airlines Flight Attendant: "Ladies and Gentlemen, as you are all now painfully aware, our Captain has landed in Seattle. From all of us at United Airlines we'd like to thank you for flying with us today and please be very careful as you open the overhead bins as you may be killed by falling luggage that shifted during our so called "touch down."

On 9/18/2016 6:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@worthless.info wrote:

The state most likely realized they wasted their (our) money on a debunked system and charging everyone twice was a way to gain some of it back.
They're all crooked.
(Pete Creswell) wrote: " Little or no driver education in the USA. For my money, many traffic tickets should require the person to take a certain number of hours of driver ed instead of just raising revenue for the state.... but that's not going to happen. -- "
Because America was founded by and for people who don't want to follow rules and do not like to be told what to do.
On 9/17/2016 3:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That's the way it is in my state. You can pay the ticket or go to traffic school. Both cost the same so you don't save any money. But if you go to school the violation points that would have been assessed against your drivers license are forgiven. That often saves your insurance rates from going up since they have access to your driving record. (Also you can't take the school option more than once a year.)

The school is largely a joke. It is just time on the computer with silly questions and a lot of waiting before they ask the next one while some yada yada goes on. It is a good thing you can change screens

If it made you drive safer to avoid going back perhaps it worked...

It wasn't my ticket, I took it for my wife. I haven't had a ticket for over 30 years

If it made your wife drive safer to avoid going back perhaps it worked...
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 01:23:43 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

There are scanners on toll roads to implement "toll by plate" but for the purposes of enforcing registration violations it is the scanner on the police car that is of the most utility. The toll collection company will just send a bill to the last owner of record, no matter how old the tag is. The cop with the scanner on his fender can pull you over right then. I do not see many scanner equipped cars but I see one occasionally. I have received "toll by plate" bills for a car that was not mine. One phone call did make it go away but if this was a surveillance operation I would be reported in a place that I was not with no recourse until I was a defendant.

The police car scanner is much more than a license plate tax collection device. It can also bring up felony warrants, stolen cars (and plates), missing persons, etc. And if hooked to the national database can be very effective.

In my state all but a few serious traffic violations (drunk, reckless, hit & run, etc.) are civil in nature. So if you get one in the mail from a radar/scanner device and don't pay they have to serve you before they can proceed further. So if you don't answer your door you can beat it. Not so with a cop issued ticket where you are served when you sign the ticket.

I once made the mistake of not notifying the state when I sold a car. When the new owner didn't transfer the registration, I started getting his parking tickets. I quickly notified the state but just paid the parking tickets as it was less hassle than going to court.