OT: America, still the Home of the Brave

Page 3 of 4

You have no idea what the "average American" thinks about anything.
And someone who spouts your anti-American cliche crap has no right to be judging how other people are "brainwashed."
If you want to know what brainwashing is really like, read your own posts.
-- Steven L.
"Steven L." wrote:

I do, to the point where I can tell you that (a) the average american *doesn't* do enough thinking, and (b) when he/she does, it's rarely about anything outside of the lower 48.

Sometimes you americans need to be told that yes, your shit stinks too.

Well I've tried reading yours, but I can't find very many.
On 9/16/2011 7:45 PM, Home Guy wrote:

<snip>
Average American? What's that? <g>
JimT wrote:

It's who your largest corporations have in mind when they design and market their products and services.
It's who your media companies have in mind when they film their next movie, make their next news broadcast, or publish their next newspaper or magazine edition.
It's who your politicians have in mind when they pass their next piece of legislation or invade or lob rockets into the next oil-rich country.
And what do all these entities have in mind?
- Give them what they want - Tell them what they want to hear - Don't offend them by telling them uneasy truths - Always end with a feel-good story

Oh, so you mean the average person worldwide, not just the average American. Got it. Luckily for us we have such a shining example of "above average" to show us the way.
What do you do again, pundit? Besides totally overbuilding and overspending on wood fences, I mean. It's a special kind of stupid to think that you're not stupid along with everyone else. :)~
On 9/16/2011 8:04 PM, Home Guy wrote:

They don't shoot for the average American. They (marketers) go after certain targets like males 25 to 40. Females 28 to 42 etc etc. Your "Avg American" is a gross simplification. You seem to think we are all Homer Simpson or Family Guy. The joke appears to be on you.

Or more likely American Dad.

Well said -- but let's include the public schools, which ""teach"" students to ingest and regurgitate a carefully-chosen set of ""facts"" in order to score well on the tests which bring in the Federal funds. What they do NOT teach students -- especially in states like Texas and their ilk -- is how to THINK about those facts, and about the world around them. The students are supposed to be molded into obedient, unthinking consumers of ideas they don't understand, but which benefit their corporate masters, and products they do not need. The "values"imparted by the media, which heavily influences the curriculum, are not kindness, cooperation, and constructive competition, but ""red in tooth and nail"" competition.
No wonder people struggle desperately to keep their children in schools they can't afford, but where critical thinking is emphasized.
Few people understand what a "liberal education"" is. Has nothing to do with politics; everything to do with being exposed to music, art, physical training; understanding the connections between events. Above all, critical thinking.
My home state of California used to have a highly-rated public education system (K-12). Now it is somewhere just above Mississippi, if I got that right...
Years ago, there was a series on PBS called ""Connections"". hosted by a genial Irishman named James Burke. I wonder if it's still used in schools.
<http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/james-burke-connections/
HB

They're here in America. They're Americans....that's what we are, a big mix.
On 9/15/2011 10:07 PM, Earl wrote:

I see. It has something to do with crossing the border. :-)

I think Earl was just trying to point out they all acted as one and that who they looked like or sounded like had little to do with the heroism of their actions. These are "true" heroes, not lionized sports figures. I still grit my teeth when I see the word "hero" used next to someone like Barry Bonds or <shudder> OJ - the wife slaughterer - Simpson.
-- Bobby G.
On 9/16/2011 5:48 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Warm and fuzzy. :-)
Now lets see if America can pull itself out of the fires it created.

<stuff snipped>

of
big
who
their
In the kingdom of hope there is no winter. And hopefully plenty of fire extinguishers.
-- Bobby G. *BENNETT, THOMAS W. Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Army, 2d Platoon, Company B, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry. Place and date: Chu Pa Region, Pleiku Province, Republic of Vietnam, 11 February 1969. Born: 7 April 1947, Morgantown, W. Va. In attempting to save his fellow soldier, he was mortally wounded.

Thanks, that's what I was about to say. That "hybridism" has given us great strength, and hope it will continue to do so. As for our fookin' friends in the Great White Way:
http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID942
Canadian Cowardice By: Rachel Marsden FrontPageMagazine.com | Friday, June 16, 2006 TORONTO - Seventeen alleged Islamic terrorists were arrested in Canada recently, leaving approximately 50 more terrorist cells to go, according to federal spy agency sources. But even with authorities acknowledging that more arrests are inevitable, there's one thing that could hinder further takedowns: political correctness.
(Seriously, though, I love Canada. Spent a lot of time in Toronto and Quebec and love the fact that they've got a permanent French thorn in their side. <g> I think the closest we get is New Orleans and the Amish.)
-- Bobby G.
Oren wrote:

"Allah Ackbar!" ?

A friend sent me some pictures of the rescue dogs employed at Ground Zero. Beautiful dogs, apparently well treated in their retirement homes. (One assumes they were the ones who survived; IOW, did not sicken or die from the toxic fumes and materials among which they worked.)
These dogs were/are much better treated than the human First Responders, who have been denied care and compensation for over ten years. Republican House Majority Leader Eric Cantor recently refused to vote funds for their care UNLESS the expenditure was balanced by cuts somewhere else.
===================
n December, Cantor opposed a bipartisan bill to improve health services and provide financial compensation for 9/11 first responders who were exposed to dangerous toxins and are now sick as a result. Now, on the eve of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, Cantor is pushing for further cuts to first responders in exchange for disaster relief.
Cantor and his staff continue to insist There will be no delay in meeting the presidents request and providing people the aid they need. But they have yet to support any such request absent more partisan spending cut
======================
Cantor outwardly resembles a human being. Strange...
HB

Not the least of which is the AARP. Never did understand how they (who get a substantial (probably most) of their money from selling a branded MCare Supplement Insurance package) managed t avoid getting labeled as an Evil Insurance Company during the healthcare reform debates.

and yet the officers that refused to authorize artillery and air support that may have contributed to those 4 dead only received a reprimand

troops,
gunner,
Obama at

http://www.marines.mil/community/pages/MedalofHonorSgtDakotaMeyer-News.aspx
that
Every record has a flip side, and from what I remember of my 45 rpm buying days, they were terrible. No different here. My wife thinks Sgt Meyer could have just as easily been put up for court-martial for disobeying direct orders.
Afghanistan is one of those ridiculous "kid glove" wars where killing even one non-combatant can get you in serious kimshee. It's very understandable how the higher ups took the safe course. It's also why we could never win a war being fought under the incredible restraints placed on the use of military force. And yet Obama keeps at it, hemmorhaging more and more dollars into a money pit. Al Gore wouldn't have gotten us into this mess: he would have wired them all to the internet! (-:
-- Bobby G.

And if it had gone wrong would have been. It DOES matter whether you win or lose (g).