OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 10 of 13
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:16:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

No, it's really simpler than that. If they don't see it, it doesn't exist. IOW, legislators are stupid, but you knew that.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:13:28 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I have difficulty placing all the blame on the legislators when we (collectively) are stupid enough to keep re-electing the grifters. Term limits are here now- Just vote against all incumbents.
--
Mr.E

Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 23, 10:13 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yes, most legislators are rather stupid but then you are showing a few signs of the same problem.
Oh, and the problem has already been solved many times over.
Add pictures here
✖

You've proven that you're illiterate. Seems you should start, here, by looking in the mirror.

Oh, no, it most certainly has not. States can't even keep it straight.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 23, 4:33 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Sorry but you are clearly clueless about the available software and what it can do.

BullShit.
There are already companies that collect sales tax over the internet and have been for years. They are required to because they have both B&M as well as internet sales so they don't have an excuse.
Add pictures here
✖

You're 100% wrong, but that is no surprise to anyone either. It's not what *SOFTWARE* can do. It's what the garbage-in can do. Morons like you are easily convinced of SMOP.

Wrong, as always.

...and they *all* have problems with the corner cases.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 24, 4:00 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Are you really so damn stupid that you actually believe that? I guess you are but damn, I didn't think anyone could be that damn stupid.
I am convinced that YOU are incapable of solving this very simple problem that just because you are stupid doesn't mean that everyone else is. Hell, this isn't even a very difficult problem with the information that is easily available to anyone with an honest desire to find it and use it. Most internet companies just simply don't want to bother, they have an advantage and they want to keep it. Well FUCK THEM and you to

Then maybe they are too damn ignorant to be in business in the first place.
Add pictures here
✖

You lead one to no other conclusion, dummy.

Everyone is convinced that you're too dumb to breathe. Then again, maybe that's why you're so damned dumb.

...yet you just can't stop posting replies to my posts. That *is* stupid, but this is no surprise.

Good God, you're stupid!
Add pictures here
✖
BobR wrote:

This is not a "very simple" problem. Getting the exact sales tax percent for the delivery address is not in any database I know of. Even if the data was readily available, there is no current way of implementing it with off-the-shelf 'shopping cart' software. If the software could do it by a database lookup (would have to be zip+4), that's only one hurdle overcome.
How does the small-time merchant get the tax monies to the state it was collected for? Are we expected to get sales/use certificates in every damn state? Do they expect that 'we' small merchants file a quarterly return in every state? I have a hard enough time doing it for the feds and Texas every 3 months, there is no way in hell I could do that x50.
It may be just the "big" guys now like Amazon, but they will eventually try to get all the tax revenue they can. I'm not going to do that unless they make it 2-click easy (and free).
The way it stands now, it would actually be illegal for me to collect tax in any state besides my home state. I have one sales/use tax permit, and its only valid in Texas. If I collected sales tax without a permit I could go to prison for interstate fraud/theft. If I don't charge tax, they can do nothing to me or my business. (as it stands today)
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

That is not an excuse for any online store. It only takes a computer and a relative small database to keep track of the sales tax by zip code. That excuse just doesn't cut it in the internet age.

Add pictures here
✖

Wrong! You obviously haven't studied the problem (and can't read).
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:52:41 -0600, G. Morgan

It maybe a big deal for a small guy, but for Amazon, it is merely a computer program that can be easily added. It is more trouble to compute shipping costs that the fixed sales tax for a given state.
End of quarter report. State of Euphoria sales $9999999. Tax due is sales X 6%. Send it in.
Add pictures here
✖

Bullshit. Sales tax jurisdictions are a *lot* finer that states, or even cities. It's often difficult (to impossible) to tell what tax jurisdiction one is in.

What do you do with the taxes for the town of E. Bumbfuck or the City of E. Bumbfuck?
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:50:08 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Nothing. You don't have them. YOU only have the state tax so you send it in. Less the processing fee, of course. When I used to collect sales tax years ago, it was 1%.
I think you are making a bigger deal of this than exists.
Add pictures here
✖

No, you're not in the real world. These things *do* matter today. You haven't looked at the world in a *long* time.
Add pictures here
✖

But what about the City of Miniscule Heights and it's tax and the MH Stadium fund that gets sales taxes from part of MH, part of the unincorporated part of Miniscule County, and a sliver of the next county over. If there was a way to say we were just going to collect only state sales taxes, you'd have a point.
✖

I guess I have a point. Did Amazon say they would collect for every tax district or just the states?
Add pictures here
✖

They will be *required* to. It's more of a mess than several here will admit.
Add pictures here
✖

They are concerned that if they do one they have to do all, or at least defend the suits in Court. You think MH is gonna sit back and let the state have all the fun and just let that rev source alone? That is one of the reasons they have been trying to get the Feds involved so that any legislation can specifically say they don't have to mess with MH, only the state.
✖
On 11/23/2011 6:38 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

So what is the problem? Did you ever consider the powerful databases that exist today and how much information is in them? My little town can definitely fit in the miniscule category and it is divided up into three different districts. I can go to the government web site and pump in my address and it will instantly tell me what district I am in. If I pump in an address one block away it correctly tells me that location is in a different district.
And even the days of being anonymous because you live in a rural area are largely gone. I border on a rural area and previously folks had an address such as PO Box 222, Smithville where Smithville happened to be ten miles away. Under e911 each building now has a physical street address that is verified by GPS and recorded in a shared database. So even the tiny little dirt road in the middle of nowhere has a name and the one property on that road has an address. All can be instantly located by government agencies.

Add pictures here
✖