OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Doesn't zip+4 get you down to the street, rather than an area somewhere with 100's of streets? That should get you into a database with salestax rates.

Reply to
Han

I don't know what you're talking about, really, NJ has never adjusted the taxes I file by changing that line or any other.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Han wrote in news:Xns9FA85095B3762ikkezelf@216.151.153.40:

Googling "how do i find the sales tax for a given address" gives lots of info

Reply to
Han

Nancy Young wrote in news:4ecf9084$0$29320$a8266bb1 @newsreader.readnews.com:

NY would have if youentered zero I've always entered a nonzero amount, accurate to the best of my ability, on either, depending on where I lived.

Reply to
Han

No one is yet chasing the little guys. Maybe some day, but not now. Sure, there is some cost to this, but companies have been doing this already for years. If you have a physical presence in a state, you must collect the sales tax. Many big chain stores already are collecting it. The technology exists. Order a book from Barnes & Noble. Order a TV from WalMart on line. Order a program from Microsoft.

It is done very day by many companies. What is the big deal for Amazon to do it?

More energy has been expended by the naysayers here than it will take to put the program in place. It is a bad as kids and homework. They will complain for an hour about doing a 15 minute project.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We don't have a state income tax in TX, but you can *deduct* itemized sales tax paid from your federal return (or take the default amount).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well, that settles it then. Do me a favor and whip up some code for me if its only gonna take 15 minutes. I will pay you $100 USD for the code. That's $400/hour; good money for you, and well spent for me because I can't do it. You must know something I don't.

Still have not answered how to pay the states. I can't collect w/o a permit. Do I have to visit every state and see the county clerk for a DBA, then go to every state's comptroller too for the sales/use permit?

I'm sure you have that worked out. Just tell me the procedure when you deliver the code in an hour or so.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Seems impossible to me too even with those mammoth mainframe computers that use trays of punch cards...

Reply to
George

Yes.

G. Morgan

I do think that tax collectors shouldn't need need to incur any additional expense. So the taxing body needs to cover the cost of the database.

And a completely unfair system. Brick and mortar stores are required to be a tax collector while others aren't.

Reply to
George

G. Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Osama-is-dead.net:

I know, but we are talking about charging sales tax by (little) companies. When the immunity from charging salestax to an out of state customer is lifted, the companies (big or little) will need to know how much to charge to Joe Bloe in East Overshoes in some other state, plus which agency to remit that to. I was saying that a national database relying on zip+4 could probably do that fairly easily, and I'd say that most states would be willing to fund that database.

Reply to
Han

G. Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Osama-is-dead.net:

As I said elsewhere in this thread, I'd bet that zip+4 (which I believe gets you down to the specific street) would be a good way to base a database on. States would probably like to fund the database and solve the remittance "problem".

Reply to
Han

I think Eds point was that if you can quantify something you can do it with a computer. There wasn't any "shopping cart software" until that need came along.

The simplest method would be it is that it gets collected by one (or a few) organizations and gets distributed. This is very much like how credit cards work. There are only a few gateway processors. They send the transaction to whatever backend you use.

Reply to
George

So it is a case of quantifying where the boundaries are. As I noted in this thread even my states web site can tell someone which district they are in based on street address even though those districts have nothing to do with ZIP codes.

Reply to
George

What about getting a permit in every state? No one has answered that yet.

This is something that has to have a Federal component or I don't see how else it would work. I'm not sending out 46 checks every 3 months, they will have to implement a nationwide clearinghouse that disperses the funds to the states. Sales tax is something you don't want to fall behind on, or make mistakes. I could not imagine having to file quarterly in every state that has sales tax. That would almost be a full time job in itself.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I gave it as an example to show what has been done in general not just in that area. I never indicated or suggested it was unique.

I have never looked as to the exact mandate but getting rid of PO box, rural route addresses and ambiguous addresses has been ongoing for some time.

Reply to
George

They would have to compensate me somehow for collecting tax on their behalf. Even if its mostly automated, its still going to take significant time and effort to keep up. I don't mind collecting for my own state, that's where I have a mailing address and operate from.

The law now prohibits me from collecting tax outside Texas unless I have a physical presence in the destination state. Works for me.

I make larger personal purchases (computers, TVs) on Newegg.com specifically for the sales-tax break AND free delivery. :-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well, half the country is employed or self-employed by small business.

If they want to fix this f*cked up economy, they need to make it EASIER for people to start/run their own enterprise. With all the occupational license fees, the states should be helping out their 'customers'; not making more hoops to jump through.

I have to pay the state of Texas for the 'privilege' of operating legally (~$700/year). I also have to collect sales tax for Texas. You're right, if I had to do that in every state I would not have any margin for profit.

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's a good idea. If gateways like Authorize.net build it in (and keep the rates updated), that would work.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Try to get the same database to give you Congressional district, House and senate district in the state legislature, all county commissioners and council members by district, city council members by district, school board members, township board members by district, members of the local transportation company (if any), and I am sure I have missed quite a few and THEN see how it works.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman