OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 8 of 13
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:12:13 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Simple. They don't care what the town address is. They are collecting STATE sales tax, not city or down or other districts. The city is SOL

That's not reality. The state collects the tax and remits it to the other taxing authorities.
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:21:13 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If it is not collected for them, there is nothing to remit. Let each town bring its own law suite against Amazon.

Which is pretty much exactly what they are trying to avoid.

The *STATES* will sue Amazon. The STATES collect taxes for the lower-level taxing authorities. They don't have to figure it out, businesses do. It's unworkable (and constantly getting worse).

taxes. But all of the other jurisdictions are demanding their cut, too and therein lies the rub.
On 11/24/2011 6:52 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

So whats the difference? The unfairness is that brick and mortar businesses are mandated to be tax collectors. If you buy something from them they are mandated to collect whatever taxes are applicable. So if the state is say 5%, and the county is 2% the merchant must collect 7%. Why should another merchant no need to do that?
George wrote:

Ah, you've never owned a retail business.
When I make my report to the state comptroller, *I* have to specify which sub-authority gets what. There are over 2,000 separate taxing authorities in my state (city, county, metro, hospital districts, mosquito control districts, enterprise zones, etc.). *I* have to compute the amount of tax due EACH one.
For example, I may sell a $100 item to some rancher in a sparsely-populated county. The only tax is $6.00 to the state. If I sell that same item to a customer in a metropolitan area, I may have to collect, and report individually, $6.00 to the state, $1.50 to the customer's city, $0.50 to his local transit authority, and $0.25 to the community hospital district (total 8.25%) and report each separately.
Now multiply the above by, say, 1,000 customers scattered across the state, complicated by quarterly reporting, and you begin to see the difficulty for just one retailer dealing with his home state. (Imagine a spread-sheet with 2,000 columns - the taxing authorities and 1,000 rows - the customers. Further imagine different percentages for each of the columns. Has your brain exploded yet?)
Now pretend this same retailer is faced with, potentially, 11,000 sales tax jurisdictions across the land. It's mind boggling.
On 11/23/2011 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Typically the state sales tax agency acts as the agent for other sales tax collection. In my state it is the department of revenue. If you are a merchant in my state you collect 6% sales tax, if you are a merchant in Philadelphia or Allegheny counties you collect 1% more and remit it to the state. There are line items on the submittal to indicate which county gets the additional funds.
Folks seem to not realize how much data is available and how powerful modern databases are. As I mentioned in another post my little town is actually represented bu three legislative districts. I can go to the government web site and pump in my address and it will instantly tell me what district I am in and contact info for the appropriate rep.
On 11/23/2011 11:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Are you talking about sales tax rate or school/real estate tax rate? I'm very familiar with the latter, the former is less common.
Usually when you live in one town but have an address for the city next to it, the town has a different zip code than the city. (That's my circumstance as well.) It is very rare for cities large enough to impose a sales tax to have the same zip codes as communities outside that city's legal boundary.
My mother's house, in a different state, also has a different postal address city/town/village than what is recorded on the property deed, and a different zip code. Neither jurisdiction is large enough to have imposed their own sales tax. They do have different school taxes.

zips that cross the border (46240, 46256, 46055). Heck there is one zip code that crosses Hancock, Hamilton, and Madison Counties. It isn't the communities that count, it is the house that stuff is being delivered to.
On 11/24/2011 11:08 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

So it is a case of quantifying where the boundaries are. As I noted in this thread even my states web site can tell someone which district they are in based on street address even though those districts have nothing to do with ZIP codes.

and senate district in the state legislature, all county commissioners and council members by district, city council members by district, school board members, township board members by district, members of the local transportation company (if any), and I am sure I have missed quite a few and THEN see how it works.
On 11/25/2011 9:31 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Still missing what the problem might be. Aren't all of those quantifiable? Most (maybe all) of what you noted is already in publicly accessible databases. Others are certainly in other databases. If there is some need for the others wouldn't it just be a matter of importing that data? This isn't the last century. Databases are powerful and cheap.

I am not convinced yet about the scalability. While they may be in other databases, are they in *ONE* overarching database. Nobody here (other than discussing their own addresses) has addressed the REAL issue. It isn't are they available, but how reliable are they?

Sales tax. I don't think Amazon is being asked to collect real estate tax. ;-)

He lived in a town outside the city but had a city address (and, of course, zip code). His sales tax *should* have been charged at the town rate, regardless of his city street address. It was very difficult to get that through to anyone, though.
I actually lived between him and the city, in the same subdivision, yet had a town address (and zip code, obviously). There is no rationalizing the way the USPS works.

Different issues. BTW, it doesn't take a "large city" to have a different sales tax rate. It can even vary within a municipal entity.

Doesn't zip+4 get you down to the street, rather than an area somewhere with 100's of streets? That should get you into a database with salestax rates.
--
Best regards
Han

Googling "how do i find the sales tax for a given address" gives lots of info
--
Best regards
Han

It doesn't even give the right town/city.
Han wrote:

Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delivery_point
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,