OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 4 of 13
Han wrote:

What about getting a permit in every state? No one has answered that yet.
This is something that has to have a Federal component or I don't see how else it would work. I'm not sending out 46 checks every 3 months, they will have to implement a nationwide clearinghouse that disperses the funds to the states. Sales tax is something you don't want to fall behind on, or make mistakes. I could not imagine having to file quarterly in every state that has sales tax. That would almost be a full time job in itself.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, half the country is employed or self-employed by small business.
If they want to fix this f*cked up economy, they need to make it EASIER for people to start/run their own enterprise. With all the occupational license fees, the states should be helping out their 'customers'; not making more hoops to jump through.
I have to pay the state of Texas for the 'privilege' of operating legally (~$700/year). I also have to collect sales tax for Texas. You're right, if I had to do that in every state I would not have any margin for profit.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

Yes...
Who says "they" (Obama and co.) want to "fix" anything? If they wanted to improve the economy, all Obama would have to do is go on more vacations and shut his mouth. The economy would right itself soon enough.

So? What's your point?

What part did you not understand? I think what's written is pretty straight to the point.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:55:45 -0600, G. Morgan

Other retailers do it now. Again, it will be a burden if the states go after the little guy, but the big stores won't be hurt by it. The software is available at reasonable cost. I'm not sure how it works in other states or even in PA today (it has been over 35 years since I collected taxes) but for the 5% collected, I kept 1% for my fee and remitted 4% to the state. On a few million $$$ in sales, that 1% would cover some software costs.
As for writing checks, it is usually done by bank transfer today.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Huh? You helped yourself to a percent for your "fee"? I don't think that would fly here and now. That is stealing.
<phone rings>
<me> Hello, may I help you? <comptroller> Yes, Mr. Morgan this is the state comptroller. Your taxremittance was incorrect.
<me> Really? By how much? <comptroller> Well, it looks like you only charged 4% but the rate is 5% <me> Yeah, I kept 1% for my 'fee' <comptroller> You did what? <me> I kept 1% of the sales tax for myself, I needed some software. <comptroller> Mr. Morgan, could you please come to our office to discussthis?
<comptroller> That will be fine, thank you. <click>
<comptroller dials receptionist> "HEY MARCY, CALL THE STATE POLICE FOR A MEETING HERE TOMORROW AT 10AM, WE HAVE A THIEF TO DEAL WITH"
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:59:34 -0600, G. Morgan

I just followed the instructions. The "fee" was not my idea, it was what the state gave you for the expense of collecting. How is that stealing?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've never heard of them letting you keep a 'fee' for your effort. Either I'm getting screwed, or the law is different in your state.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
On 11/25/2011 10:59 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

No, at least in PA the merchant gets 1% of the tax (not the sale) to cover some of the cost of being a tax collector.

On 11/25/2011 10:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In PA merchants keep 1% of the tax collected. Not 1% of the sale price.

Who writes checks? At least in PA the only way a merchant can remit tax is by ACH.

Speaking of that, they aren't too sophisticated about it either. I went through the order process at Walmart.com to get sales tax. Ordering a +$100 cell phone. Using my address and 5-digit zip it added 9.5 tax (state and county) Using an address/zip in a taxless county, it dropped the county tax. Using the other county address and my zip it added my county tax. Using my address and the other county zip it dropped the county tax. It complains about the address/zip conflict but allows you to confirm it and continue. Pretty sure the mail carriers deliver to an street address/town/state no matter what the zip says. Seem to remember getting mail with the wrong zip. So maybe I could order from Walmart with a bogus zip and evade the county tax. Not sure - it was a simple test.
Anyway, to get it right would take a correct address/zip crosscheck to fill the order, or the refusal of mail carriers to deliver to a bad zip code It's still all trivial for on-line transactions once laws are passed and standards are set. And the correct exceptions accounted for. For example, Tennessee and Kentucky share at least one 5 digit zip. "Real" mail order, with envelopes and money orders is another story. I bet the states get together much faster to collect taxes than they do to consolidate criminal and other databases.
About 6 years ago my son's car was stolen in Niles, Illinois.. Chicago police picked it up a day later and my son retrieved it from the auto pound. No damage, plates still on. So the kid is driving back to U of I and gets pulled over by the state police, cuffed and spends a couple hours in the pokey before it was cleared up. It's pretty funny imagining him cuffed in the back seat of a police car. Me, I can see. Not him. Then I had to go to the Niles PD to get them to take it off the files. All this should have happened when he ID'd himself to get the car at the pound.
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

How did you segue from a sales tax comment to your kid getting locked-up? Lol...
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:04:42 -0600, G. Morgan

Data base coordination was the link. And I like telling true stories (-:
--Vic
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Huh? "The software is available at reasonable cost" is a preposterous statement. Look up the cost. The cheapest I've found is $1,400.00 per year.
Imagine a small, independent, bookseller who sells three books a day via his modest online store (I know of several). He'd have to add a dollar per book to his price just to be able to satisfy the tax reporting requirements.
That's NOT a trivial expense.

He is exempt BECAUSE he has no presence in those states. If the law in question passes, then he will be. Getting cyber retailers to pony up is the entire reason for the suggested law. Unless there is an exemption based on size or some such, the little guy will be every bit as on the hook for sales taxes everywhere as the big box. You seem to be saying ((and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that if the law passes he won't owe the tax and the states won't go after the little guy. I am saying they will. Heck I can just about guarantee three things (1). Shops will soon pop up that find a way make money going after the little guys (2). The states will sign them up (3). They will get it very wrong more times than not.

...and they know this how?

NJ is only *slightly* better because your governor is *trying* to turn it around. After Corizine, et. al., it's not going to happen, though. NY and NJ will always be cesspools.

The State of New York knows everything, how else?
(pls insert graphic of choice).

It may be that christie is doing something good, but the way he covers that up makes it almost unrecognizable.
--
Best regards
Han

...and they'll peek under your knickers, if need be. I know, I lived there for almost 20 years.

Done.
You (NY media) get a very different story than the rest of the country.

more because of Christie. Both daughter and son are high school teachers. But we have already gone over the problem whether good teachers are under- or overpaid.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm not sure how that relates to Christie. Do you get state funding for that stuff? Our town police are paid by the town taxes. The governor has nothing to do with it. Want more cops? Raise more taxes.
Here's a good one. . . . The other day I was mistakenly sent an email from a nearby town library director. Must have been a typo to a similar address. The gist of it was, they want to spend $5000 to have the author of a gardening book come and give a talk. This is a town with a population of about 5000 people. She was soliciting comments. She also stated they may be getting a grant for about 10K and would use half that money.
Of course, I took the opportunity to give my opinion. In this economy, can a small town library afford to spend that much on one author? I thought it was fiscal irresponsibility to do so. Maybe $500 would be OK.
There is also an author that is willing to come for free. Now, let me think about this, free or $5000/ what to do?