OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 12 of 13
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

And the $46.50 difference in the price, knucklehead!
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
"G. Morgan" wrote:

Less the $.15 Florida & county sales tax.

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I 'managed' to get the cable my dad needed faster, and the length I needed to move a TV away from a doorway where either he or my step mother would have run into it and hurt themselves. I don't owe the local merchant anything. They are very lazy about marking prices, expecting you to take it to the register to find out the costs. I did pay sales tax on the cable I bought, since it was shipped to me from within in state.

Then your issue was with the local vendor and only the local vendor. That doesn't change the fact that buying on the internet from out of state vendors that don't collect the sales tax is giving an unfair advantage to the internet vendor. Amazing that your internet vendor in state was able to calculate the tax.
BobR wrote:

Yawn. Since I paid the sales tax, it was calculated properly. There are no local business that sell a lot of the tools and parts I need. prior to the internet it meant paper catalogs and order forms, along with a business check. Use tax was paid to the state of Ohio every quarter, per the laws involved. Since 99% + of my work was for non profit or government agencies, I was audited every quarter because of the low sales tax reported. They never found an error, and after 18 months they flagged my account so I wouldn't lose a day and a half's work every 90 days.

BobR wrote:

I reject the notion of "unfair advantage." Passing tax laws to interfere with the marketplace is a terrible idea. It wasn't too many years ago that some states had "fair trade" laws that prohibited stores from selling at the price they wanted, such as a "loss leader." New Jersey, and its law prohibiting self-serve gas stations is another example. As a consequence, motorists in New Jersey have to pay more than those in neighboring states for gasoline.
No, the absence of a sales tax on internet sales is a "competitive" advantage, not an "unfair" one. Let the local store compete on location and immediate sales. Plus, there's nothing to stop the local store from offering their products on a web site. All they need is a 12-year old male to be their webmaster.

I must totally disagree, it is a totally unfair competitive advantage that can't be make up by setting up and selling their products on the web.

Let's see, the sales tax advantage ranges from 0 to 9 percent, thereabouts. The typical price advantage shopping online ranges from nothing to 30 percent or more, with 15 to 25 percent being most common. Sounds to me like the price advantage dominates the tax advantage. Moreover i like being able to trade off have it now versus better price, and mucking with the taxes would not really change that. It is just a tax grab.
Thus: not that important, let alone clearly not unfair.
?-)
BobR wrote:

Wake up; it is NOT "unfair". Why? A local store, by setting up a website creates a lower cost "channel" for sales, the (extra) profits from which can be used to lower in-store prices and thus be MORE competitive.

Only if the local store makes all of its sales outside of its own state, assuming the store is in a state with sales tax. Any and all sales within the state rather from the store front or from internet sales must have sales tax calculated for the sales area. If the retailer has a location in any of the states where sales tax is collected, it must then calculate for that state as well.
This is the reason Amazon has gotten in trouble in a number of states. In Texas they have been hit with a $291 million dollar claim for uncollected sales tax because they have setup a distribution warehouse in the state and as such have a physical presense in the state requiring them to collect sales tax on all sales in the state rather those sales result in goods shipped from their warehouse or from out of state. California has decided to impose the same intrepretation on Amazon and is seeking millions as well. Amazon thought it could sidestep the laws and now is finding that it might be better to accept a common approach rather than risk huge penalties.
BobR wrote:

"ONLY"??? Bull..NO sales people to pay makes for a large savings; sales tax is not a part of THAT equation..
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You don't like green wire? :)

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I commend for your consideration a letter from the head of Tartan Cables (a recovering lawyer) in response to a "Cease & Desist" demand from Monster Cable. It begins:
"Dear Monster Lawyers,
"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better."
In the body of the letter, one finds:
"Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."
It's a long letter, but if you, like me, take some perverse pleasure in seeing the bully get his comeuppance, it's an entertaining one.
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/blue-jeans-strikes-back
snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote:

And to save gas, time, and now that its holiday season..FRUSTRATION, ANXIETY, and RAGE. I do not go anywhere near a mall or big-box electronics joint this time of year. Hate it.
The 'Internets' and all the wonderful online stores have changed the way I shop. Now when I need something I can research the hell out of different TV's for example. Old way is going to a B&M store and selecting from a very limited inventory. I can spec. a TV, find the best price, and have it delivered to my door for free. Does Best Buy or Wally-World deliver for free? Nope. I don't need to transport that huge box and make sure the load is tied down. I don't have to handle the cumbersome and heavy box until it arrives at my front doorstep.
At the end of the day, I got the *exact* TV I wanted because I didn't have to pick from a limited inventory. I wasn't pressured by some sleazy salesman that smells like garlic. I didn't 'settle' for what they had, vs. what I really wanted. There were no crying babies and cranked-up gangster rap playing on demo units. No fighting for a parking space down the south 40, in the rain. No thank you, I do all my shopping online now. Oh, did I mention its much cheaper this way too?
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

nothing wrong with buying online, my point was that just because the headquarters of the online shop is in a state with no sales tax they shouldn't be exempt
several shops here have both a regular shop and an online shop, you can shop online and have it shipped or you can go pick it up at the store some even have drive-in
-Lasse
snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote:

It's not luck - it's competition. There's a Stop 'N Rob on every street corner. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a box of corn flakes in the next twenty minutes, paying $6.00 for the box is of secondary importance.
HeyBub wrote:

Or go to Dollar Tree and get it for $1. I just bought five bags there. I recently bought six cases of Progresso soup there. Winn-Dixie wants $2.59 a can. That was a savings of $114.48 on 72 cans. The two stores are only a couple hundred feet apart.

Gunner Asch wrote:

And you get a lot of space saving rectangular cans to store hardware in, too. ;-)

John Doe wrote:

Years ago, the US Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional for states to collect sales tax on out of state sales. I wonder what has changed?
Sales tax is complicated in that different places (states, counties, cities, etc.) have different rates and different definitions of what can be taxed. I know in Ohio, there is a use tax, identical to the sales tax, that people have to pay themselves when they buy something out of state, but because of complexity and ignorance, I think few people pay it. The states lose a ton of revenue because they can't effectively collect the sales or use tax on out of state purchases. It would certainly be fairer to all to have the same tax for in-state and out of state purchases.
Notat Home wrote:

The 'Use tax' was first used for businesses to pay taxes on items they used for their operation, in place of sales tax. I used to collect sales tax, and pay use tax for my electronics business.