OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 1 of 13
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/InternetSalesTa
They are "not raising taxes" they are "just helping to collect taxes". There is a big difference...
On 11/22/2011 6:59 PM, John Doe wrote:

Paul
On 11/22/2011 10:24 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

Not in NH either!
--
I'm never going to grow up.

That initiative is well under way nationwide.
The states have quietly joined together to create this entity (below), whose purpose is to create a system to collect sales tax for your state on all your purchases, no matter whose goods you buy: http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org /
Here's current legislation: http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=121&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=74
It's coming, folks.
-- Cheers, James Arthur
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:14:04 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote Re Re: OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax:

Bricks & Mortar retailers are big supporters of that legislation. But it won't matter. On-line retail merchants will still beat the B&M sellers in price/selection/convenience.

On 11/23/2011 03:02 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:

yup... whatever scheme they come up with I'm OK with so long as it's fair and doesn't put anyone at a disadvantage. The only reason that there's such a huge issue w/ sales taxes is because the B&M stores are so incredibly overpriced that people are flocking to online merchants in droves. Even if you add 5% or whatever to online prices to allow for sales tax on many items it's still not worth driving to the store. Just one example would be cables - I just bought a lot of HDMI, optical S/PDIF, and RCA cables online for about what just three HDMI cables would cost me in a store - and for the same cost as store prices... alternately if I were going high end for about the same as what a B&M store charges for generic stuff I could get the real high end stuff from Blue Jeans Cable. This isn't a unique example... it's true for a lot of items.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It's not so much that the B&M stores are overpriced as it is they have a huge overhead that the internet stores don't have. It's really about time that the internet retailers paid into the sales tax system along with the local B&M retailers. I don't like paying the sales tax but can't for the life of me justify letting the internet retailers have that much of an advantage at everyone expense.
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:42:29 -0800 (PST), BobR

Pretty much my stance too. If you save $5 not paying sales tax, that means someone else is going to pay more to make up your share. If half the sales were untaxed over the Internet, the state would have to double the tax rate on granny, who does not have a computer.
On 11/23/2011 4:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The ability to tax is the ability to control. Not that we don't need this and that but there was a time when the individual citizen wasn't the source of revenue, it was commerce through tariffs and taxes on on items being moved across borders. I recall a proposal to have a millage tax, a small tax put on every transaction between business in and out of the country that would do away with individual income taxes and bring in the same or more revenue. Sort of like the "Fair Tax" proposal that has been discussed as a national sales tax in recent years. The tax would follow The Gross National Product and it makes sense in the way that some genius embezzler figured out to round off amounts of all the money passing through a bank and getting pennies from each transaction, it added up to a great deal of money until it became a large enough amount to be noticed. I read about the idea years ago and don't recall where I came across it but it was an intriguing concept. Gee, I wish I could find the source, perhaps someone else is familiar with it and may know more about the proposal and who came up with the idea. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:15:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I recall something like that too. There have been different VATs proposed too. Some of that type of tax sounds good to the uneducated because they think the consumer will no longer pay the tax, but businesses will instead. It all comes out in the cost of goods sold. We should be more concerned about government spending.
On 11/24/2011 7:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem with a VAT is that is a great cover for weasel politicians who don't want anyone to realize how badly they are doing their job. As you noted many would simply think that the business is paying and not them.
A tax that is totally obvious and applied in one place (example, no other taxes except a 38% sales tax) is a great thing because it would make people do a lot more thinking on election day.

One of the real problems with instituting a VAT is that merchants, anxious thata they may not recoup the taxes they'd have to pay, increase their prices to cover any possible shortfall. That means there will be instant 10% or higher inflation. At least that is what was experienced in Holland upon instituting the VAT. (European VAT can go higher than 20% depending on the "luxury" status of the merchandise).

Whom do you think will get hit by a 38% more than others? WHo will be able to afford it best?
--
Best regards
Han

The difference is that the European countries didn't eliminate all other taxes at the same time. The idea behind the "Fair Tax" is that all of the hidden taxes get eliminated so the end cost to the consumer doesn't change (much). It'll never happen because it will make government waste evident - every day.

No one. That's the point.
On 11/24/2011 11:25 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Actually, government will lose a very big stick used to control the citizenry. We can't have more freedom and liberty now can we? ^_^
TDD
On 11/24/11 09:14 am, George wrote:

I don't think I've made any significant purchases of taxable goods in any country that has VAT, but AIUI the tax rate may vary from one kind of item to another and the tax rate is not necessarily published in the store or at the cash register -- the tax is already included in the displayed price.
A student from Zambia told me that their sales taxes (varying rates) are included in the displayed price but the receipts show the tax paid on each item.
Perce

That's the way it is in Europe as well. I still find it disconcerting here that the price you get quoted for an item is NOT the final price, since it doesn't include taxes and fees. That is especially cumbersome for hotels etc, where there may be lodging taxes on top of everything else. Talkinf about taxation without representation!!!
--
Best regards
Han

That not because they are conservative, it's because they are mean spirited cheap bastards who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves. It takes at least $40.000 to have any kind of decent living per year. Someone who makes that much and pays 15 % is getting hurt one whole hell of a lot more then a millionaire who pays the same 15%. All it means to the millionaire is he'll have to keep his Mercedes 600SL for 3 years instead of 2.
it's

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Fuck 'em. I'm in Texas and will only collect tax for Texas. What a bunch of convoluted nonsense. How are online stores supposed to keep up with all that?
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

It'll be easy for the big outfits. A minor hassle for small-timers. Some will ignore it. Some will charge the tax and pocket it, not sending it in. Some will get caught, some won't. "Cut-out" services might pop up in no-tax states.. Those will be squashed pretty quick.
When I plug my zip into this I get 9.5%. http://zip2tax.com /
But I already knew that. Probably won't make much difference in affecting on-line sales. Even the tax hit doesn't stop me. Already pay it with some on-line vendors.
It'll be a minor boon for locales that charge sales taxes. Then where the local pols are corrupt they'll boost their salaries and retirement benefits, and the same for public employees. Cleaner areas will put it to better use. Otherwise it won't make a hill of beans difference. Just money being shuffled around like it always is. Death and taxes.
--Vic
On 11/23/2011 6:52 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

It's called software. It will be automatic, similar to the way the on-line web sites calculate shipping costs based on destination zip code, package weight, and choice of shipping method.