OT: Amazon price markups

As you may know, in addition to the items Amazon itself sells, some of the items that are found at amazon.com are in fact sold by other vendors: Amazon collects the money, but the order is fulfilled by another vendor.

Today I discovered an instance where Amazon's price for an item that would be supplied by one of these other vendors was noticeably higher than the price I had just seen on that other vendor's own Web site. I don't know how common this is, but it's something to keep in mind.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:j9psju$d26$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

duh, buyer beware.

Reply to
Earl

I think it is fairly common. After I first noticed it a few years ago, I always check & often end up buying from the vendor.

Sometimes Amazon offers free shipping over $25 on those items, and then I get it from amazon- if I'm willing to wait until I have a $25 order.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

There's a browser add-on for Firefox and Chrome that will quietly show you the lowest price it has found for the product you're looking at. Say you're checking out a power drill on Amazon; it'll alert you if it finds the same model available for less elsewhere. It's called InvisibleHand, and it's pretty useful even though it doesn't cover all products, nor all websites.

Hell Toupee

I am not impressed. Last week swmbo made a case for buying a Ninja blender. It lists at $79. Local ads had it at $159. That's the same as Amazon. So today I tried out invisible hand. It said Amazon's price was good and Wal-Mart was an alternate supplier at that price.

Well, you know what they say, "caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware. So we went to Bed Bath and Beyond where it was also on the shelf at $159. What is missing from this story is that we presented a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon that offered 20% off. That got us a $32 discount.

Have a nice day.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Ay Caramba! That's one hell of a battery charger. Inquiring minds want to know, what's the application?

Reply to
trader4

I use pricegrabber.com

Reply to
DerbyDad03

(a) It's a 3-stage "smart" charger, and (b) it's a 75Amp charger. This would be for charging high-capacity battery arrays, especially of deep-cycle batteries, e.g., series-parallel-connected GC2 golf-cart batteries.

The three stages are shown here:

Bulk: 2.466V/cell Absorption: 2.366V/cell Float: 2.266V/cell

Some "smart" chargers (but I don't recall whether this includes the Powermax ones) also deliver an "equalization" charge every few days if no other activity has occurred.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Invisible hand's suggestions are becoming more and more nonsensical. For this particular item it offers no suggestions at all.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

What is there to be aware of? The software does not know if you have a coupon. emptor adhibere sensum communem

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In checking out new gps's at Best Buy, clerk told me that Best Buy will match Amazon price as long as Amazon was the original vendor. Also learned that Best Buy has free shipping.

Best Buy did not have gps I was interested in but it was for sale at their site on line for same price as Amazon's so I ended up buying from Best Buy.

Reply to
Frank