OT: Amazon Just Got On My "Sleazeball" List

Page 2 of 3
On 3/26/2016 8:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

FedEx uses the same system, Smart Post. Makes sense as the USPS visits every house every day so the can go that last couple of miles cheaper than the UPS truck.
The post office will deliver Prime packages even on Sunday.

Here is an update on my Amazon order. It's getting close. It's within 50 miles of my house and UPS has handed off the package to the USPS, but the expected delivery date has been moved out from Mar 29th or 30th to Mar 30th to Apr 2nd.
The delay is still being blamed on weather. We did have a little light rain here in the last 24 hours and maybe they're looking for their umbrellas.
I wonder if Amazon is pissed at me because I won't cough up the money for Prime?

Which of course is the least they can do for people called Prime
But even if no Prime orders arrived one week, the only problem in delaying shipping would be space to hold the stuff not shipped. A) they might already have some empty space, B) it would be worth getting some because if everyone gets their stuff in 2 days, it's not worth paying extra to get it in 2 days.

On 3/25/2016 1:12 PM, dpb wrote:

And what, may I ask, is wrong with that?
Prime customers are paying a premium in order to always have 2 day shipping. Those not willing to pay the premium are relegated to free shipping (in some instances) that takes 6 - 8 days.
Amazon delivers what they promise. I get my Prime order delivered in 2 days, others get theirs in the 6 to 8 day window that was promised.
As Clara Peller used to ask, "Where's the beef?"
Seems that some of us would complain if we were hanged with a new rope! ;)
My experience with Amazon and Amazon Prime has been great. Before I was a Prime member I'd often get packages in two or three days with their free (non-Prime) shipping even though they said it would take longer. Now, if the package doesn't arrive in two days and I call them on it. I get a profuse apology and they bend over backwards to make it right even to the point of the FIRST thing they do is extend my Prime membership by a month and then set to work on straightening out the missing/delayed delivery.

+1
I shop around and often find prices and shipping costs lower with other online sellers. I probably buy only about half from Amazon than I used to and that will keep decreasing if this trend continues.

On 3/25/2016 10:03 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Let me explain. I have Prime. Yesterday I ordered something and an hour later, I got a notice it was shipped and will be delivered today. They sent me a note that they were very busy , but to get my order out they put a sway bar ordered by some Smith guy on the bottom of the pile. They like me better than him.
Sleazy? Maybe, but I think it is more a question of priorities. They offer multiple shipping options and though some are slow, they always came in the stated time. Prime works for me and I get other benefits from it.
On 3/25/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I got the same email for the end of season mulching mower I'll be using in October. Guess that Smith guy must have really annoyed Amazon?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They really said that?!!

Sure, but I'm surprised they said that.

In my experience, the only time an Amazon order "sits" is when it's being sold and shipped by a third party. There are three types of sales on the Amazon web site:
- Sold by Amazon - Sold by Third Party, shipped by Amazon - Sold and shipped by a third party

That seems to be the opposite of my ordering from them. The Third party shippers seem to send it out the next day and Amazon waits a week.

You declined to pay for shipping. What do you expect?
%). They never sit on orders.

Almost everything I order from Amazon is the same way, they sit on it for about a week and then ship. If it goes to one of the 'stores' they usually ship it right out.
Someone said they give priority to the prime and at the end of the week when all the prime orders are filled, they start working on the other orders. That is ok with me as I expect it. I seldom order anything from Amazon if I really need it quickly.
I order from China and it usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get here. I know this, so put up with it.
I have to give Staples credit. This week I went to get some paper wipes called Kemwipes. They did not have it in stock so the store ordered it for me, free shipping. The total cost was just under $6 for two boxes about the size of the small Klenex type. That was after lunch and the next day at lunch time the UPS man dropped them off at my door. Slightly less than 24 hours later. The total order probably did not even pay for the postage.
On 3/25/2016 10:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I went to Staples to buy a desk chair. They had a nice chair at a decent price. I was not sure hot to get it home as it would not fit into a car easily. Whipped out my phone, ordered it on line and had it delivered the next day for free. I was sitting in the chair at the store while I did it.
On 03/25/2016 11:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder about the relationship between Staples stores and Staples.com. Are the stores franchises, or are they company owned? A little over a year ago I went to my local Sears Hardware/Hometown store (or whatever it's called now) to by a set of sockets that I'd seen at a good price on sears.com. The marked price in the store was considerably higher, but when I pointed out the Web price, they admitted that they had to match it -- but they spoke of sears.com as their competition (or even, perhaps, as their enemy), and they had to process it as an on-line purchase for local pickup. How much the local franchise owner made out of the deal, I don't know.
Perce

I went to Staples for a phone battery. They did not have it but ordered it on line with free shipping and I had paid at the store.
Also got my smart TV from Best Buy on line with free shipping as they did not have the model I wanted at the local store.
These stores want to stay competitive with Amazon on line and will ship free on line themselves.
I only buy items from Amazon where Amazon is the supplier. They have a nearby ware house and stuff is shipped fast. I bought my last microwave oven from them with free shipping and it only took a day or two.

Not mine, You're getting what you paid for.
I'm not a prime member but I often get my Amazon shipments way ahead of any predicted date. Why don't you come back tomorrow when the order arrives?
Seriously, there are all kinds of reasons why they might delay shipping even when they could ship earlier, like filling up the truck.

You don't know why they haven't shipped yet you've assumed the worst about Amazon.

Yes, you appear to be.

My guess? Neither does Amazon. There is a huge shipping organization there, I doubt they have places to store packages so that customers don't get them too early.
--
Dan Espen

Could be. I'll let you know. I looked at my history and items ordered this year (all Amazon sold) are all 5-8 days. Last year's items were 2-4 days. There's definitely a big difference. Okay by me. Just a little surprising.
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:22:52 -0500, Vic Smith

I got the package this morning. It was shipped Sunday night.
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 09:03:57 -0500, Vic Smith

I see both sides.
I know how you feel, but I'd noticed that I got most of my stuff within 2 days with free shipping (and no Prime). So what incentive is there to sign up for prime?
Maybe this would bother me more, except the 2-day shipping was a bonus. Like you, I'm not in a hurry and if it takes 8 days, that's fine. Heck, some things from China take 3 to 5 weeks and that's okay too.
I have two bigger problems. They don't tell what shipping will cost if it's not free, and they raised the minimum from 25 to 35. Soon after that, they raised it to 49. Now it's pretty easy if you need one thing, to find a second thing to make 25. But it's really hard for me to order 49.
Last night, 24 hours ago, I bought two things, and though I got the webpage back that said Order Complete, I got no emails from them. Now what does that mean? I"m happy I copied the important text out of the webpage, with the order/confirmation number.

Newegg is good and some of the others too.

I realize that Paypal didn't take money from my checking account either.
And I don't remember them charging sales tax, even though I read months ago in the local paper that they would from then on.
Ah, I can go to the Amazon website and see.
Both have shipped already!
Neither included sales tax, and a DVD that came from suburban DC in Maryland is already in Baltimore, at 2:34 this morning. It's one zipcode over so I may get it today. (They've sent stuff to this zipcode before, before shipping it to my zipcode not long after. It must be a hub.)
So much for them sitting on shipping these two items. I haven't even paid them yet.
This is why you should register wherever you are buying something. When you don't register, you can't check the order in the vendor's records.