OT: Amazon Just Got On My "Sleazeball" List

Page 1 of 3
I bought a sway bar for my car on Amazon. Sold by Amazon. Only 20 in stock ( more on the way) About 20 bucks cheaper than any local auto parts store. I didn't bother looking for auto parts store coupons, because it's not time sensitive, so I'm okay with Amazon's 6-8 day free shipping. I've used the free shipping option many times, and in the past Amazon items usually get here in 3-5 days. They shipped within 1-2 days of receiving the order and it's in the hands of the carrier after that. Until recently, that is. I've noticed lately that 6-8 days means just that, even if they have to sit on your order to make it happen. I just used the "Track your order" on the Amazon site. Here's what it says. Ordered Expected to ship Arriving Mar 28 - April 1 Mar 22 March 28 That's sitting on the order in my book. Of course they're fishing for "Amazon Prime" business, but I'm not biting. My son has that because it includes Netflix streaming or something I don't need. If I wanted fast shipping I'd just have him order it. Just strikes me as a sleazy business practice sitting on the order, and not shipping it for 6 days. 6 days! Some turnaround. Am I wrong? In any case it won't stop me from using Amazon. It's just business "as usual," and they offer generally good prices and service. For PC parts I usually go to Newegg, which doesn't collect state taxes (@10 %). They never sit on orders.
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 9:03:52 AM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

...there's a point here?
On 03/25/2016 09:13 AM, bob_villain wrote:

No fooling.
If they say "6-8 days" and it arrives within that time period, they have not done anything wrong.
That's called marketing.

And don't you just hate it when your plane arrives on time?
On 03/25/2016 09:26 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

That's why my wife an I now fly "Southwest" ...rather than having to transfer, they always seem to be the only carrier who has a direct flight to our destination...so we get their sooner that how we used to do it.
Pricing is low. The only thing many people consider a drawback is not getting an assigned seat.
To me...if I have to sit on a plane for 3 hours to avoid a two or three day drive...heck I'd be fine to just sit on the floor
On 3/25/16 10:20 AM, philo wrote:

True, and while it's their bat and their ball, I find the practice irritating as well. They used to ship PDQ but now seem to sit on my orders for a while. I shop there less than I used to.
Also, some recent articles say that Amazon is no longer the default lowest cost vendor on stuff, especially for Prime members who order knee-jerk/reflexively and don't bother to comparison shop any other vendors. That "free" two day shipping hooks them in.
The other gotcha' I've read about is that ordering from a Mac or high-end iDevice prices the item higher-- the assumption being you're not a price-sensitive shipper. Don't know if that's true or not as I only have a Mac.
I've seen reports in the financial press saying that Amazon is getting hurt by increasing shipping costs biting into their operating revenues-- especially when lotsa' Prime folks hit them up with several $6.00 orders in a month.
--
Just taught my kids about taxes by eating 38% of their ice cream.
- @ConanOBrien
On 03/25/2016 09:41 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
<snip> .

Most of this is nothing other than human psychology.
If you /really/ need something ASAP you'd either get it locally or pay for priority shipping. Most of the time it really does not matter.
Getting to the psychological aspect:
After living in my house for ten years I one day noticed that in the bathroom , there was no globe for the light...it was just a bare light-bulb in the fixture.
I drove to the nearest hardware store but they were out of the size I needed...they told me to return in two days...order was on the way.
As you have guessed, I went elsewhere...no way was I going to wait two days!

LOL

You pretty much nailed it.
https://consumerist.com/2016/02/02/amazon-taking-longer-to-ship-to-non-prime-customers/ and http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/20/is-amazon-shipping-slower-for-non-prime-members.aspx
Until recently, I didn't realize they were now sitting on orders for non-Prime customers. Didn't realize Prime members were having their teabags shipped either. They also upped to $50 minimum for free shipping. Too bad they lost their top ten place for shipping.

Both articles full of weasel words:
"found that customers who do not pay for Prime may be getting slower delivery"
Key word "MAY".
Personally I find it doubtful that Amazon could manage the logistics it would take to intentionally slow shipping.
--
Dan Espen

On 03/25/2016 1:00 PM, Dan Espen wrote: ...

It doesn't much need "managing", all they have to do is to place Prime customers in the queue first and by net result the rest will be slowed up.
As the article goes on to say, they're playing with fire...

If that is all they are doing, that's entirely legitimate. (My opinion.)

They would be crossing the line if they were intentionally holding up shipment for no reason other than trying to force you to Prime.
Then they would indeed be playing with fire.
I still doubt they could or would do that. That kind of thing would not stay a secret for long.
--
Dan Espen

That may be all that's happening, but IMO it is more than that -- My opinion.

I placed an order for a few light fixtures (in stock items) on the 16th and the delivery is scheduled for the 29th or 30th. That's two freakin' weeks to get from Colorado to Illinois! Hell, I could almost walk that far in that amount of time.

I don't.

On 3/25/2016 9:50 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Are you sure they are coming from Colorado? Things I order seem to come from all parts of the country. Could be coming from China to Colorado to Ill.

Isn't Colorado a town in Japan or Taiwan?

The package started in Phoenix, AZ. The next sighting of it was in Commerce City, CO where it is being delayed due to the weather.
Weather? I'm sure they're to politically correct to say "snow." How can it be snowing with all this global warming?
The latest news on my non-prime order is that it has made it to Lenexa, KS.
Not bad for ten days. It's a good thing I don't live on the East coast or I'd probably never get the shipment.
On 3/26/2016 10:59 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Amazon is supposed to be buying a half dozen 767 aircraft to lessen the delays and reduce cost. As long as your driveway is long enough for landing you can save a day of transit.

Damn, just my luck to have a driveway that's only 150 feet long!

You might be in luck. A drone delivered a package in a town of about 3,000 in Nevada. <http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DRONE_DELIVERY_NEVADA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE FAULT&CTIME 16-03-25-19-42-53> or http://alturl.com/ddqhh

The last couple things I've ordered have been shipped by UPS most of the way. The U.S. Post Office brought them the last fifty miles and to my mailbox.