OT: Alternatives to landline and VOIP telephones?

Page 4 of 4
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:28:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hey, I just talked to you in the XP group.
For 10 years, I have had a theory that there are only 5000 people on Usenet, because I see the same people everywhere.
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 15:37:18 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

AFAICT, Verizon has eliminated the block number option. I wanted to start using it but couldn't.
Although it never allowed more than 10? blocked numbers and I think they call from many numbers.
But why did they eliminate it?

2 or 3 a year is good.
In the last 3 weeks or so, I've gotten 3 of a different kind. Silence for 10 seconds, and then a cute girl's voice, almost a child's voice says, "Bye". and that's all.

On 9/15/2014 5:51 AM, micky wrote:

> block number option. I wanted

I have a Verizon cell phone. Some one put me on a mailing list, I repeatedly asked and insisted to be taken off the list. He apologizes, promises, and keeps sending. I put him on blocked. Now, every couple days instead of having to open and delete the multi media message, I have a notice "unable to deliver multi media message" and I have to open and delete the notice. It's actually same or more keystrokes and actions to deal with the blocked message, rather than getting the spam message and deleting it. Not how I'd like it to be done.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I just looked at my caller ID and I had 21 calls in the last month that came in as "out of area" or "not provided". They were pretty much all spam. Only a couple of those were from duplicate numbers. 3 had "out of area" in the number field too.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:22:29 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It is illegal to spam a cell phone and they actually put a dollar amount in that law so we have a lawyer advertising on TV that he will pursue those. (forthepeople.com/ Morgan and Morgan)
I assume he is only looking for repeat offenders and multiple plaintiffs to make it worth his while,
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:32:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, I was referring to my wired phone, and in that case I thought just that the phone wouldn't ring, and if one had caller id, maybe there would be an entry with a code to indiate blocked. So it would be much better. Do other companies still have Call Block?

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd want plaintiffs who only got one call, but most of them won't be annoyed enough to call him.

Yes, but he might be half-way to his number already or all t he way. He's still going to advertise to get as many as possible.
There was a case about 20 years ago, not involving spam. . Someone staying at a Hilton Hotel noticed that he was charged for 2 outgoing phone calls, total of only a dollar or two, but he knew he had made not a single call. Hilton had maybe 30 or 60 hotels in the US, with up to 2000 rooms in each (numbers are guesses) and he managed to show that they had been charging almost everyone for one or two calls they didn't make. Every night. 365 x 50 hotels x average of 400 rooms maybe .. these numbers must be low because it came to millions of dollars He won the class action, some money spent to notify the class, most don't bother to ask for their dollar a night, so almost 2/3 goes to charity and 1/3 goes to him.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:28:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks. That confirms my suspicion that call block wouldn't help much.
I still wonder why they got rid of it. It was meant for annoying boy or girl friends, etc.
I contacted Time Warner Cable today about their $15/month internet access. The guy wouldn't stop asking for my social security number so he could "verify acceptibility." These kind of sales people give sales a bad name. I would problably have signed up only he was brushing off my questions about speed, etc., and trying enter an order.
"Oh, the technician can tell you that when comes to install it." BS on that.

compatible system that works well. You can pick-up landline or cell calls from any of the cordless handsets.
What model Panasonic are you using? I have had a couple of Panasonic cordless phones and they have been first class, clear and never a problem.
All I know is VOIP has opened the flood gates for unsolicited calls not covered/prohibited by the Federal DoNotCall registry program.
I love it when I get a call with a strong Indian or Pakistani accent and the ID on my cell or land phone reads "Florida" or "San Antonio"!
Unfortunately the DNC list is as good as a finger in Titanic's side in those cases. :(
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Try this, I setup my FIOS line with it and its great. If its a spammer, my phone rings one time. I dont even have to look at caller ID anymore unless it rings more than once Doesn't work with all providers, but I think most "digital"services are Best of all, its free https://www.nomorobo.com/
On 4/19/2015 11:08 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Nomorobo claims no support for google voice. If I understand the video, GV already has the simultaneous ring technology. I use it myself. All we'd need is the phone number for nomorobo and stick that into the call forward list at GV.
Anybody got the number?
On 04/19/2015 08:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's amazing people still buy from telephone solicitors.
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 8:26:40 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

AFAIK, the DNC law covers VOIP phones too. You have something that says otherwise?
trader_4:
Sure, you can register VOIP phone#s. But do they cover the CALLS that can be made VOIP?
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 10:00:09 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, AFAIK, the law didn't say the call had to originate on copper, terminate on copper, or what it traveled on in between. You're suggesting otherwise, so show us.
trader:
My concern is not with the conveyance of these calls, it is with the COUNTRY of origin. As far as I know, DNC has no jurisdiction over calls ORIGINATING from outside of the US, whetether they are copper, fiber, or voip in nature.
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 10:59:07 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

K, so I think what you're saying is that VOIP has enabled cheap calls to be made from most worldwide locations to the USA and that has allowed telemarketers to get around the DNC list. I agree that's probably a valid point. On the other hand, I'm on the DNC list and I rarely have any of those calls, so it hasn't been a problem for me. Why it would be for some and not others IDK.
trader_4 wrote: "K, so I think what you're saying is that VOIP has enabled cheap calls to be made from most worldwide locations to the USA and that has allowed telemarketers"
YESSS!!
And both my mobile and landline are getting SLAMMED. We're thinking of changing all our numbers, and this time NOT registering them DNC. (remember a few years back the Fed "sold a list of mobile numbers?)