OT: Airline Seat Cushion

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
We are buying property overseas. This will require flights of several hours each way. My behind cannot tolerate more than about two hours in an airplane seat. Is there a comfortable and easily portable cushion for airline seats?
Thanks, Gary

There are inflatable cushions that are often used by people with hemorrhoids.

Take a train.
nb
Hi, I fly on business class
Abby Brown wrote:

Cushion? Don't br cheap fly business class if you can afford a property overseas. What is your BMI?

Anyone can piss money away.

You have no idea of the OP's situation at all, yet in two sentences you manage to call into question the guy's weight and financial situation. Did it ever occur to you the guy could have sciatica or other back problem, and that the property could be much cheaper than in the US? It could be anything. Do you feel better picking on somebody you don't know? Does broadcasting that you spend more than you have to on flights make you feel rich somehow? These are rhetorical questions - no need to answer.
RicodJour wrote:

Likewise you have no idea about me.

No, not an idea - you answered a straight question by casting aspersions and being insulting. There was no postulation necessary to arrive at a conclusion.

Don't be so cheap and fly inside the cabin.

Abby Brown wrote:

If you can afford property overseas, you can fly business class. Wonder what your BMI is.

Inflatable rubber ring, as sold by pharmacists. A fabric slip cover will make it more comfortable (and conceal its red colour.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

http://www.donutcushion.net /

Stand up in the aisle every hour for 10 minutes.
Abby Brown wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:42:25 -0500, "Abby Brown"

only was something more expensive than tourist, there was a another section with pairs of adjoining, facing seats, and each seat reclined all the way into a flat bed. Tickets cost a lot of money, but I don't remember what. I suppose other airlines have it too.
Also possible, Ambien, or something your doctor can prescribe.
What happens if your back gets even worse?

I see that Korean Air has lie-flat sleepers. Perhaps you could buy your propery in Korea. http://www.flyerguide.net/seats/?airline=&class=&type=&submit=Go ! This one has only 41 results, instead of 140: http://www.flyerguide.net/seats/?airline=&class=&type=6&submit=Go !&jump=index.php%3Fairline%3D%26class%3D%26type%3D%26sort%3D1%26submit%3DGo Here's BAirlines. Apparently this is business class on the planes that have them: http://www.flyerguide.net/seats/?airline W&class=&type=6&submit=Go!&jump=index.php%3Fairline%3D%26class%3D%26type%3D6%26sort%3D1%26submit%3DGo
And of course this doesn't say how comfortable the seats are when you are sitting in them.
What do you do at home?

http://www.flyerguide.net/seats/seat.php?idI

They add about $1500 to a round trip from Boston to London. If you take your spouse or SO, that adds $3000 to the trip. No thanks, I'll walk.
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 00:01:29 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

That's only about 200 dollars an hour/person. What's money for, if not to spend it?
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:42:25 -0500, "Abby Brown"

I guess someone should actually try to answer your question!
For a while after abdominal surgery I found it very uncomfortable to sit for any length of time on any seat.
I tried a couple of different cushions. An inflatable flat rectangular cushion that I think came from brookstone and the "Large Firm Tush Cush", which is rectangular but thicker in the back and thinner in the front and made from high density memory foam. I bought it from some Amazon associate seller. It has a cutout to avoid pressing on your tailbone.
The inflatable has the advantage that it takes up little room when deflated, and you can adjust the air pressure to vary firmness and thus where it presses on you.
But the Tush Cush does a better job of distributing pressure over wider contact area. It's not as compact, but you can fold it in half.
I have a four hour plane ride coming up and I'll be taking the Tush Cush this trip.
I was told the donut cushions aren't recommended unless you've had hemorroid surgery or the like. They avoid pressure on the center, but otherwise tend to concentrate the pressure compared to rectangular cushions.
Medical supply places usually have a selection of cushions you can try, although it's hard to get an idea of how it will do after many hours. Pain medications like Ibuprofin help too.
On overseas flights, I've found just getting up and moving around often is helpful.
Good luck,
Paul F.

I fly from pittsburgh to phoenix a couple times a year. I ALWAYS get a AISLE SEAT so I can get up and move around!
Airlines are looking at stand up seats for short haul flights, everyone would be belted in standing up, just slightly reclined.
Done not for health but so they can pack more people onboard.