(OT) About wearing out DVDs

Someone recently told me that if a DVD is put on PAUSE and left that way for a long time, the laser will damage that part of the DVD. I dont think that is true, but I'm not sure.
I know if a VCR is left on pause the spinning head will wear the tape at that spot. (which is why a VCR will shut itself off is left on pause for too long). But I dont think the laser keeps reading the DVD when it's paused. I'm thinking the laser is turned off, and whatever picture is paused on the screen is just stored in memory. From my recollection of what I have heard, any optical disc (CD, DVD or Data disc) is read by the laser and "READ AHEAD", whereas the digital code is put into memory ahead of what you are actually seeing or hearing. This I was told is why a movie wont start playing immediately when it's inserted. I know the computer discs (which are usually slower to load), always spin up and read the disc before a menu pops up on the screen. This delay is real noticable when installing Windows or any operating system.
Anyone know the truth about this?

If the laser is turned off, it will loose track where it's at ??
Greg
On 01/12/2015 02:24 AM, gregz wrote:
[snip]

The memory wouldn't be in the laser. It's probably in RAM.
BTW, too many o in "lose".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 01/12/2015 03:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

yes
On 1/12/2015 3:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Yes, correct. The image goes into the RAM buffer. It is only read by the laser while the unit is spinning.
On 1/12/2015 2:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Even with the disk still spinning there wouldn't be any wear, since the laser wouldn't be concentrated on one spot. As far as I know the disk would keep spinning. It doesn't take that long for the disk to spin back to where it was reading because it is spinning very fast so there would be no perceptible loss of time waiting for it to start reading again. The data is buffered, but I think that is more a matter of having time to get all the data together before presenting it. Technically it is possible for the data on the disk to be stored discontinuously. That is one part could be on one part of the disk and the next part on a completely different part. I doubt if it is in a DVD, but if you make a disk image of your computer hard drive it could quite easily be that way.
Bill
On 01/12/2015 08:13 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
[snip]

The data on DVD (or CD or blu-ray) is not stored continuously (like a VCR), but in sectors (like a computer drive). There will be some delay while reading the sector headers, and error correction code.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 01/12/2015 02:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I know that with my DVD player, after pausing a long time. I would press play and the video would start playing immediately, followed in a second or 2 by pausing for a couple of seconds.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 1:39:29 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Must be a crappy one. My DVD players just resume and continue fine if placed on pause.
Regarding the laser thing, IDK if the laser is on while it's on pause. But even if it is, it's a low power laser, kind of like shining a light on it. It's not trying to burn it, just bounce a light off the aluminum. I don't see why it would damage the DVD even if it was on continously.