OT - Aboriginal Women Missing or Presumed Dead

Page 2 of 2
<stuff snipped>

That sounds quite unbelievable and a cursory search shows that it's a highly unlikely assertion fpr the entire country:
http://www.prisonjustice.ca/politics/facts_stats.html
Aboriginal Adults (2005-2006) a.. 4% of the total canadian adult population - (2006 Census) b.. 24% of admissions to provincial/territorial sentenced custody c.. 18% of admissions to federal prisons d.. 19% of admissions to remand e.. 21% of male prisoner population f.. 30% of female prisoner population Maybe you have a different source of information or you're talking about particular provinces and not all of Canadian prisoners . . .
--
Bobby G.

On Sun, 18 May 2014 04:36:13 -0400, "Robert Green"

Exactly. That has been true for about 2 million years and I don't expect it to change; not even in the American southwest where over 50% of the population in many areas are illegal Mexicans.

But they usually don't live on land that anybody else would want to live on. One thing that always impressed me when I used to fly coast-to-coast in a window seat was how much land there was past Colorado and how much of it was a whole lot of browish-grey nothingness. Now my prostate makes me request aisle seats. )-:
All my friends are gone, and my hair is gray And I ache in the places Where I used to play . . .
Leonard Cohen "Tower of Song"
--
Bobby G.

On Sat, 17 May 2014 20:16:07 -0700, nestork

I knew the meaning of aboriginal. But still that's 'my' mindset.
Great logic, explains a lot regarding ten commandments being written out in AZ.
On Sun, 18 May 2014 06:12:20 -0700, Robert Green

Leonard Cohen?! now THAT's an acquired taste! Haven't heard much from him lately, though. Somewhere around here I have one of his CD's, like the 'french' song, can't remember the title.
On Sun, 18 May 2014 01:36:13 -0700, Robert Green

yes, 25 years after seeing the film once, still remember visualizations, like her staring at that brick wall. now have a copy.

Wasn't the first film "Walkabout"? In "logan's Run" she was naked in the ice cave sequence, and then next scene wearing 'old lady' white panties where she slipped and fell really hard onto that ice. Even Michael York broke character out of concern for her fall. CONTINUITY!

Don't forget Hittites, too. I don't think they were all told, just the Israelites were in on it. Imagine how history would have been different if the Israelites had just followed instructions.
Your scenario reads like a satire... ;)

especially enjoyed the 'look closely, BONK!' part.

Don't think the comparison holds there. As indicated by requiring the winner to be the stronger. Food for thought.

Yeah, I only have the one album. He was just in the news about a concert in Israel and IIRC, his manager stealing him - er, allegedly stealing him blind. But that might have happened decades ago. Like Kurt, ye olde memory is not what is used to be. (-:
--
Bobby G.

Yes, I bought a copy, too. Amazon has great deals on hardly used DVD's and I've been buying up a lot of films that can stand multiple viewings. Got a hardly used boxed set of Ken Burn's "The Civil War" series for twenty dollars.

Might have been. I was just commented on the sequence I saw them in and I saw "Walkabout" after hearing my Aussie friend rave about it on line.

I own that DVD to, and though it had some remarkable special effects for the time (holographic imagery) it also had some very cheesy FX. I think I'll pull it out of the cabinet for another look-see.

(-: There are so many points in history that could have gone either way. What if Rome never burned? What if Lee Harvey Oswald missed? Or Booth? A lot of history depends on some pretty singular events.

(-:

If you can't hold it, then you're not the stronger and you lose it. That's why many cities in the Old World are built on the ashes of four or five or even ten cities before them. I often wonder what it felt like to be living in a previously impregnable fortress city when you saw the world's first trebuchets or catapults roll up. Or watching, the way the residents of the mountaintop fortress of Masada did, the Romans slowly and patiently build a huge ramp to bypass the sheer cliffs of the fortress. Truly memorable "Oh Shi+" moments in history.
--
Bobby G.

On Mon, 19 May 2014 04:48:20 -0700, Robert Green

Walkabout was one of Roger Ebert's top films of history. Jenny Agutter starred in another film, "The Railway Children" that is a memorable family film. It has memorable lines, for example Jenny Agutter's character is describing her younger sister as, "she means well" or the youngest, her brother, as well, ... you get the drift.
It is a story where evil rips a family apart, removing the father to prison on Christmas Eve, and the remaining family is forced into penury, move to Yorkshire [enjoyed the satire on Yorkshire], where the basic fortitude and 'goodness' of their characters triumphs bringing rewards to themselves and side characters. With, of course, all ending well at the end.
[PS, the woman who played the mother went on to play a fleeting character in a recent British comedy series, but she is difficult to recognize, age takes its toll]
It is the ONLY film I ever paid full price for, could not find a discount anywhere. paid in today's dollars around $200.
wrote: <stuff snipped>

I didn't know that. Our taste in films often did not coincide.

She's been in a lot of films - "An American Werewolf in London" comes to mind.

You say "of course" as if they all end that way. I can think of any number of films that started out describing desolate lives that ended very badly. Dr. Zhivago comes to mind. At the end he sees the love of his life, you think he's going to reunite with her and then he dies of a heart attack. The remake of "True Grit" ended on pretty sour note and though truer to the book than the John Wayne version. But I liked the JW version better - one of his best films, IMHO.
Returning to the subject of nudity, I also seem to recall Jenny buck naked in "Equus."

Last night I watched a Midsommer's Night Dream from 1968 with Judy Densch and Helen Mirren. Almost impossible to recognize Dame Densch in her youth although Mirren was quite recognizable. Mirren first came to my notice in Boorman's "Excalibur" - another of my favorite films with performances from a mostly yet unknown Liam Neeson and Patrick Stewart (aka Jean Luc Picard). I had a friend who hated that film but loved "First Knight" with Richard Gere which I thought was a pretty dismal recounting of the Arthurian legends. There's no accounting for taste, I guess.

My, my. I've paid a lot of out-of-print video cassettes but never that much. I went to order a DVD from Amazon of "They May Be Giants" for $40 and it turned out to be an "on demand" DVD, aka a DVD-R that the vendor had struck from a master copy. To this day I wonder if it's legit. They say they had permission from the copyright holder but who knows? Great flick with George C. Scott and Paul Newman's wife whose name has apparently fallen into one of the swiss cheese holes in my brain. Another (neuron) bites the dust. )-: Joanne Woodward! The neuron wasn't dead, it was just sleeping.
--
Bobby G.

On Mon, 19 May 2014 13:58:46 -0700, Robert Green

It's a 'family film' not like Bambi, some horrible animal snuff film that you have to put into the freezer. [credit to Phoebe, Friends]

I first saw/noticed Mirren in PBS production of "Prime Suspect"
She's still fun in "Reds".

Patrick Stewart is incredible in "Safe House", especially the ending line.

Yes, excellent story line, but seemed VERY stiff. like a play taken to screen, just 'self conscious'
I can't get over how physically small these people are, until you meet them and find they're quite diminutive. Jane Fonda, who always appears as the largest woman in a film usually equal in stature to her male co-stars, top of her head comes up to my chin. Her largest finger is smaller than my little finger! She is perfectly proportioned, just miniature. But Cary Grant was taller than me! Big dude. When we met him, he hugged my wife [for far too long], so afterwards her eyes were glazed and forhours she kept murmuring, "Cary Grant hugged me." PS: my wife used to look a bit like Catherine Deneuve, and was often mistaken for her while we would travel Europe.

<stuff snipped>

I agree. Something was *very* wrong with Walt Disney. My wife and I were watching Toy Story III and when the toys found their way to the orphanage with over an hour left to go, I turned to her and said "I smell a Bambi!" Let's turn it off now. And we did. Only later, on the Big Bang Theory did I find out it was the right move after Penny called Leonard out for crying at Toy Story III: "The toys were holding hands in a furnace!" No wonder our kids are warped. For a guy who grew up in the post-concentration camp world of the 50's, burning in a furnace is not what I consider top notch entertainment, even if it's only dolls.

That's pretty late in her career! A friend who abhors film violence foolishly rented "Caligula" because she wanted to see the work of a young Helen Mirren after seeing her in "Prime." Boy was she taken aback. I asked her "didn't you read the Netflix reviews?" and she said up until that point she didn't bother. But she does now.

She's in "Reds?" All I remember is Warren Beatty and a lot of that film has merged in my memory with Dr. Zhivago. Lots of howling wolves in the endless treks through the woods. And all I really remember of "Reds" specifically is Warren Beatty (John Reed?) taking a whizz and seeing blood. How's that for selective memory?

It was a pretty bold move to cast a Brit playing a Frenchman playing a Star Fleet captain.

That's exactly what it was, a play taken to the screen. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't. I only really remember the scene where he turns the table and diagnoses her by her clothes and attitude. And the part where he guesses why another patient refuses to speak (because he thinks he is silent film star Valentino).
I'm also a sucker for Shakespearean plots moved to modern day scenarios. There are more such films than many people realize. As my wife will attest, I even like the really bad ones. I'm also fond of 1950's SciFi films - the ones with videophones that have rotary dials and lots of Tesla coils sparking away.

BTDT. I saw Amy Carter when very young in the Olson's Record and Tape (how anachronistic) store in DC next to my studio. Her face had always been enlarged to fill the TV screen so when I saw her standing next to a huge secret service agent she looked as if she had been hit with a shrink ray. Lloyd Bridges (Seahunt) was also very, very small as were Paul Newman and a few others I had met.
Actor size is not an issue with the magic of movies and holes dug for tall leading ladies to stand in during close shots. But it always does freak people out when they have to adjust their brains to cope with the real height of someone they thought was much bigger. Sort of like ordering stuff from the internet. I can't count how many times something was much smaller or much larger than it appeared in the images.

(-:

Wow. Lucky you. The closest I ever got to that sort of fame was dating a woman who was the spitting image of the "Bionic Woman" whose name just went hiding in the swiss cheese of my brain. Lindsay Wagner. People would come up to us on the street and ask for her autograph.
--
Bobby G.

On Wed, 21 May 2014 07:04:39 -0700, Robert Green

I didn't know she was in that.

arrrggg! that's RED, not REDS.
Warren Beatty would NOT allow his rather long film to be cut for TV. To paraphrase, he said, "I understand cutting my film because of material deemed offensive, but I will NOT allow you to cut based upon your convenience." And thus "Reds" does not show a great deal on TV, at substantial financial loss to WB.

I thought he wouldn't speak because as a gentleman he had not been 'properly' introduced and therefore it was inappropriate for him to speak. ...an enjoyable bit of satire on British social customs.

excellent production and performance by Tenant, Dr. Who, playing Hamlet?
Patrick Stewart playing Henry III? WWII setting. or was that Branaugh? yep a blur.

Never met Amy, but met Chip! If sons are like their fathers, Carter is a good man. Verified by his often successful 'peace' forays, and when Clinton almost got him killed, Carter doesn't speak to Clinton or even share a diaz(sp?) with Clinton any longer! Good discernment.

How met? involved in film industry?

We would get that too, she would write out personal note [but not specifically sign it, except as 'your friend', or such] whole groups of people wanting to get a photo op, or special seating in restaurants, or my memorable example, at Eiffel Tower where a block long line of people were waiting, we were spotted and quickly escorted to the elevator, where we went by ourselves, except for elevator operator, up to the top. Now THAT's special treatment!