OT A tale of two webpages, both from the same city

Page 2 of 2

Hmm, I guess I probably shouldn't have just scraped up the old stick- on tiles in my laundry room and put the pieces in a plastic bag then. (yes, I did it wet, made it easier to get them up off the floor.
nate

I think the two parts of the following anecdote connect???? And are somewhat on topic with the foregoing?
My late father born around 1901, grew up in London UK and told me about workers who job it was to paint the luminous paint markings onto WWI aircraft instrument dials, 'luminous' watches etc. It was done by hand; required some artistry and a steady hand. It was the habit of the workers to wet and rotate their brushes between their lips in order to shape the fine pointed ends of their brushes to produce the fine markings. Many years later it was noticed that a significant number of the workers died from various forms of throat, lip and other cancers and it was traced to the small amounts of radioactive luminescent paint that the workers had ingested!
My father, who was of course a child, during that first war died in the late 1960s
A few years ago there was press story about an old building in that same area of London that had had variuos uses (possibly at one point it was tobacco warehouse?) during the last century was being renovated once again. Memory escapes me but it was possibly being upgraded to high end apartments? It was discovered almost accidentally that the floors of the building were highly contaminated with some type of radioactivity. Very expensive to remove and replace apparently. Investigation showed that the building had at one time, back around WWI, been used as a small factory for producing aircraft instruments etc. The radioactive floors were the result of variuos spills/splashes of luminous paint!
So I wonder? In my mind the two separate stories seemed to connect?
I guess that item "Check for radioactivity" is not on most 'Approved for Occupancy Permit check-lists'?
Have fun.
On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:47:41 -0700 (PDT), terry

My older brother used to use an alarm clock, with a glow in the dark radium dial. It was only a foot or two from his head when he was sleeping. When my mother learned about radium, she got him another clock. But he's 70 and going strong.
Glow in the dark radium dials on watches were commnon to, only an inch from one's wrist.
But neither is anywhere as bad as rotating the brush between one's lips.
When the lights were off, I used to walk into the edge of a partly open french door between the dining room and hall. I painted it with fluroescent paint in 1975, but I'm sure by that time, they used something else to make it glow. Right?

See "Radium Girls".

I guess not. Any radiation from the dials isn't going to make it out of the watch/clock, or even through the skin if it did. Eating the stuff is a bit different.

Yes, that was phosphorescent paint, not radioluminescent.
On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:19:39 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Good. Although that wart on my hand is growing into a 6th finger. Maybe I should see a dermatologist.

Definitely, if it has a nail on it. ;-)
On 5/29/2010 11:14 AM, N8N wrote:

I believe they will declare anywhere within a 5 mile radius of your house a class I environmental disaster area if they find out...
George wrote:

Does 'shoot, shovel, and shut up' ring a bell? Yes, use common sense, and don't knowingly spread toxic stuff into the wild. But for old tile, or asbestos-shingle siding, etc. , just handle it carefully (ie, wet), don't create dust, bag it well, and if somebody challenges you, play dumb. IMHO, in many cases, 'abatement' is a racket and a license to steal.
--
aem sends....

On 5/29/2010 5:09 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Exactly, vinyl tile isn't friable. I am all for protecting the environment but I am all for common sense too. My friend was quite annoyed because of the extra $3,800 because of the surprise "oh you need a hazardous materials inspection" but the overall cost is a lot more because of the two weeks extra down time. The location is an active business and they were rebuilding it because the highway department changed the intersection which broke the traffic flow into his lot.

Where do you think the asbestos goes from the abatement scams? Once it's buried it doesn't matter. The issue is getting it to the dump safely. Plastic bags work.

School districts often use a "bait and switch" tactic to get extra money for teacher pensions and salaries, because building maint. money can be obtained without referendum. They get the cash by saying the roof is leaking, then bid the job out a 3 times the going rate, then move the cash to a different account. Referendums are messy because they actually involve resident oversight.
This is why school funding increases 10% a year while enrollment has been dropping 4% a year. Better check out your local school districts antics, I'll bet anything much of that cash went elsewhere, and the bid was way over the going rate.

Is there a boomer kid that didn't? It was seasonal, like tetherball, marbles, and yo-yo's. Never knew where it came from , but some kid would inevitably show up with a few ounces and soon every boy on the playground was making pennies and dimes shine like new chrome. Considering the number of years/times I messed with that stuff, I should be drooling in my wheel chair this very instant. Humbug!
nb
An example of government idiocy.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Holy shit, when I was a kid in the early 60's I had a "mercury collection", yes I used to collect the mercury from old heater thermostat switches, thermometers, wherever. My uncles used to give them to me too because they knew I collected it. Our friends used to play with it, etc., had a mason jar about half filled with mercury. These weenies, I'm perfectly fine, (when I'm not talking to my imaginary friends :).
Hell !!My cousin had a mason jar of that stuff that we played with. I ain't dead yet !! Maybe a little more stupid. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair