OT: 3 police officers dead, 2 injured in New Brunswick shooting

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) confirmed Wednesday evening that three of its officers were killed and two others were wounded by a gunman in Moncton, New Brunswick.
The RCMP said on its Twitter feed that they were looking for 24-year-old Justin Bourque of Moncton, who is considered armed and dangerous. The police force tweeted an image of a suspect wearing military camouflage and wielding two guns.
RCMP Constable Damien Theriault said the officers were shot responding to a call about an armed man in the north end of the city at around 7:30 p.m. The two officers who were injured received non life-threatening injuries and were in stable condition
"We are still actively looking for the shooter," Theriault said. "He is believed to still be in the Pinehurst subdivision area of Moncton. We are urging people in that area to stay inside and lock their doors and for people to say away from that area."
Asked how he was dealing with his grief, Theriault said he personally knew the officers before breaking down and excusing himself because he couldn't complete his sentence.
Danny Leblanc, 42, said he saw the shooter in the distance Wednesday evening, wearing a camouflage outfit and standing in the middle of the street with his gun pointed at police cars.
The construction worker said he believed it was an RCMP officer until he heard a burst of automatic gunfire coming from the man's gun.
"That guy was standing on the road afterwards and he was looking towards us," he said.
He said he quickly retreated into his home and remained there with his family. At one point a neighbor posted on social media that their kitchen window was shattered by gunfire.
Leblanc, who was in contact with friends on Facebook, said few people on his normally quiet street were sleeping as they awaited word at midnight on whether arrests had been made.
Word that police had been killed shocked the city, Leblanc said.
"It's devastating. I don't know if he was on a hunt for them, or what," he said.
Moncton, located in eastern New Brunswick about 95 miles northeast of the city of St. John, has a population of just under 70,000.
Police said Wednesday night they believed the suspect was at large in a subdivision. Police had a number of roads in the city blocked and traffic was backed up on major arteries across the city. Drivers were also asked to stay out of the area.
Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc urged all residents to pay strict attention to the RCMP warnings.
"It is a terrible tragedy," he said. "We as a city must pull together as a family to support those who have suffered losses."
Such violence is rare in Canada, particularly on Canada's East Coast. Theriault said the city of Moncton didn't have a homicide last year or this year until Wednesday evening.
"We have been blessed until this point," he told The Associated Press.
He said other RCMP officers from around Atlantic Canada are in Moncton assisting with the search.
The shootings brought back memories of when four Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were shot and killed in the western Canadian province of Alberta in 2005 in the deadliest attack on Canadian police officers in 120 years. They had been investigating a farm in Mayerthrope, a small hamlet in Alberta when a man shot them before he was killed.
Sean Gallacher, who lives near the area where police were concentrating their search, said he heard what he now believes were gunshots but initially thought his daughter had dropped some toys on the floor above him.
"I was downstairs and heard a few bangs," said Gallacher, 35.
Will Njoku told the CBC that he was emptying his dishwasher and putting his children to bed at around 8 p.m. local time when he heard popping sounds.
"Within 30 seconds I heard sirens," he said, before adding that he heard five more shots after the sirens. When news broke that there was a shooter, he said he went outside to warn his neighbors.
"I felt pretty dumb. But there was people going down there," he said. "I just know my neighborhood. It's just kid city."
Canadian Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney tweeted that he was "shocked by the tragedy" and that his thoughts and prayers were with frontline RCMP officers.
Click for more from CBC.ca
BurfordTJustice wrote:

Automatic weapons are prohibited in Canada. If he really did have some sort of automatic weapon, it almost certainly was smuggled into the country from the US.
Now we can speculate if he would have gone on this shooting rampage if all he had access to were legal firearms.

The greater metropolitan census area of Moncton has a population of 138,000.

So you tell me, in the past decade, what US cities / towns with a population of 70,000 has gone 18 months without a homicide (by any method - gun, knife, fists, etc).
On Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:12:06 AM UTC-4, o m e H o m e G u y wrote:

Maybe you should find out what he really had, before you start the usual blaming of the USA. Here's a posting from someone in Canada, (not the USA) that appears may know the facts:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/05/you-have-a-good-life-justin-bourque s-best-friend-remembers-their-last-bizarre-encounter/
"There's a lot of disinformation going on in the news. Reports of "Assault Rifles", "automatic gunfire", etc. For the record, his "two high-powered ri fles" are actually a pump action shotgun (not a rifle) and (most likely) a semiautomatic 0.308 Norinco M305. Both are non-restricted firearms. Both ar e NOT "Assault Rifles". You can easily by the M305 for around $500-600$ and the shotgun for probably around 500$ as well.
This is no longer an issue of gun control. What does this case, the Calgary stabbing, Elliot Rodger (etc) all have in common? They all involve the nee d to address mental health issues, and those mental health issues need to b e addressed if we hope to prevent further incidents like this."

Sure, start with a premise that even you admit you have no idea is even true, then proceed to the next step, pure speculation. That's why you're the village idiot!
The fact is what just happened in Canada is exactly the same thing that you make one OT post after another here about when it happens in the USA. It's a deranged 24 year old that went out and killed 3 cops. And just like the typical American case, there was plenty of evidence that something was wrong with him, but he still had a gun, nothing was done, and he used it.
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:12:06 -0400, HomeGuy

Start with Fishers, IN and go from there.
Perhaps you watch too much TV news and assume that just because they like to report murders that the whole US is a shooting gallery.
On Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:02:50 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It isn't that at all. Homelessguy has penis envy, so he focuses exclusivel y on anything and everything bad that happens in the USA, while ignoring anything that happens in Canada.
This is about as clear an example as you can have that similar mass shootings happen in Canada too. And of course HG didn't start an OT post about that, because he's a lying, dishonest, village idiot!

Auto weapons are also outlawed in the US. My guess is that your press isn't any more understanding on the subject than the US press.

but what they conceal is vital."

I thought they were illegal except for those already produced when the law came into effect in the 1930s or so. Did I miss a nuance?

--
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/1999/fully-automatic-firearms.aspx

The Hughes Amendment
Oren posted for all of us...