OT. 12 year old aces Mensa test.

Page 1 of 2
From Yahoo: http://tinyurl.com/phdhg9w

On 8/7/15 9:22 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

What a nerd! Probably has a Mac! ;)
J Burns wrote:

Super nerdess? Future president?
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 7 Aug 2015 22:35:26 -0400, J Burns

Probably reads books too. Who needs him.

Her.
And a very pretty 12 year old at that.
--
Dan Espen

On 8/8/2015 9:26 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

I like this quote from that article about her, “She often thinks outside of the box,” Jim explains. “She sees things with a different point of view, even when many adults might be scratching their heads.”
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2015 12:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

Likely home schooled, too. Modern government schools don't do much for creativity.
What does it say when proletariat parents can better educate kids than government approved teachers?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/8/2015 1:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Good point!
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2015 2:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

While it's true there may be a few bad teachers, the majority of the problem is bad parenting and a bad home life.
On 8/8/2015 3:43 PM, Kenny wrote:

Not to mention the lack of discipline in the schools. Don't touch a kid either. even if they tell you to go F... yourself. .
On 8/8/2015 3:43 PM, Kenny wrote:

Well, it opens up interesting questions. I'll admit that I don't know the answer to this, and not going to take the time to research it on the web. I suspect I'd not find an honest answer on the web, everyone has a bias in one direction or the other.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yup. If you interact with little kids you don't find any "thugs". They learn those bad habits from their parents and parents friends. Often the parents are thugs to their own kids and/or they act like thugs in front of their kids and provide a thug role-model for them. IMHO almost all kids start out as decent human beings with the capability of being at least a halfway decent member of society but then the parents screw them all up. Then the cycle repeats itself because it's not politically correct to say poor people who can't afford kids shouldn't be having kids.
On 8/8/2015 8:02 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Are you sure they aren't born thugs? ((sorry, I couldn't help myself))
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2015 9:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

I think some are. Parental guidance is important, but it is not everything. There have been many nature/nurture studies and discussions, but I know what I've seen in real life.
Many of us have seen families with two or three kids that have the same upbringing, same chances for education, activities, whatever. One ends up a doctor, another a scientist, the third one is in jail for armed robbery and drug trafficing.
On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 11:52:15 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

...or, is it constantly thrown in the face of the 3rd, "Why can't you be more like your brother and sister?"
On 8/9/2015 10:44 AM, bob_villa wrote:

BTDT in fifth grade with a crotchety old nun. After a few weeks I was in a different classroom.
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 07:44:55 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

Heck, even "why can't you be more like little Tommy next door". I never knew I was a "good kid" in some neighbors eyes until one day the kid next door came over and complained how his mother told him "Why can't you be more like Jimmy". The kid WAS kind of an asshole.
On 8/8/2015 11:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think people end up that way because of the choices they make.
--
Maggie

On 8/9/2015 11:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Of course they do, but why do they make those choices?
On 8/9/2015 4:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Part of it could be related to their personality type, I think, and the rest related to how they process information - they make a decision.
--
Maggie