OT. $1.59/gallon

Page 2 of 3
On 1/4/2016 3:10 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

It's not even all that low in historical terms, it was just so high for a while that now it seems very low.
The Saudis are very smart and they are keeping prices low to drive the high-cost producers (fracking and tar sands) out of business. They are also concerned about Iran selling oil again.
It's not easy to increase demand for oil. Everyone is not going to suddenly start to drive big SUVs again, and vehicles are getting better and better mileage thanks to government requirements for increased fuel efficiency. At the same time you have climate change greatly reducing the need for heating oil. You also have increased solar production in places like California. I live near "Tesla Alley" and these Tesla owners are installing solar and/or second meters for low-rate off-peak charging. And all the plug-in hybrids are also using very little gasoline (even though gasoline is now cheaper than electricity in terms of cost per mile in many areas). What is driving the sales of these vehicles is not fuel savings, since the extra purchase cost will never be recovered in fuel savings, it's access to the HOV lanes as a single driver, which is a very very big deal.
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:03:13 PM UTC-6, sms wrote:

Not going to happen. :-)
My daughter works for a company that sells chemicals to fracking companies.
They are doing pretty good.
Saudis are keeping prices low because they do not want to lose market share.
They are up to their a** in debt.
Greed has a price and they are paying for it.
Andy

"Climate change" is a natural phenomenon. There are some idiots, such as Democrats, who believe they are going to control the earth's environment and want to essentially put the rest of us in chains to do so. Kind of like putting the old Soviet ideal on steroids - the one that the State would become so powerful it would control the weather itself.
So tell us, if there had been no Republican opposition to climate hysteria just how much colder do you believe it would be today? (BTW, I have a bridge in Brookly to sell you.)
On 1/3/2016 9:51 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

NYS runs a bit higher.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I remember when gas was 29.9 cents per gallon, and during a "gas war" it got down to 27.9 cents, and sometimes went up to 34.9 cents, during which time everyone would panic. I'm waiting for it to get back to those prices.....
But I wont hold my breath! $1.50 per gallon is possible though, and considering inflation from the 1960's until now, I'll take a wild guess that $1.50 would be comparable today.
Then again, in a week, we could be paying $6.50 a gallon due to some political issues....
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:53:10 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

I remember when it was 20 cents a gallon. I should have stocked up.
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:38:40 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

The EPA has nothing to do with it. It was 50 years ago. That's why it was cheaper.
If you want our air to be like Pekings is and Mexico City's was, get rid of the EPA.

The problem is that the EPA does not recognize the concept of "diminishing returns."
On 1/5/2016 8:20 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

No government agency does. They all have the same philosophy that saving just one life is priceless.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 00:54:02 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

No, I didn't. As usual? I always think you are seriuos. Your objections seemed the same style as those who are serious.

On 1/5/2016 1:17 AM, Micky wrote:

When I was in college, I had a $20 bill that would buy about 30 gal of gaoline. Now days that same bill buys about 8 gal of gasoline. I've been robbed, I tell you!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Take it up with the Bishop...
On 1/5/2016 8:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When I was a kid you could get a gallon of gas, or a quart of milk or a pack of cigarettes for 25 cents.
Look at the relative prices now. Not sure about the price of milk but offhand think the price of a gallon of gas would get you two quarts of milk and maybe 8 cigarettes.
Price of a gallon of gas today would get you a pound of cabbage, 3/4 lb. tomatoes or 2 oz. beef tenderloin.
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 8:01:13 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

when I was a college student. Of course minimum wage was $1.60 per hour at the time. So I had to work an hour to buy 7 gallons of gas. So if minimum wage is $15.00 per hour, one can buy 10 gallons of $1.50 per gallon gas. Th at's progress!?(*?*)?

That shows the main advantage of higher gas prices.
It takes much less time to put $20 worth of gas in your tank than it used to.
on 1/3/2016, Dean Hoffman supposed :

Regular gas is $2.89 to $3.09 here in the Inland Empire, Riverside County Calif...... today.
On 1/6/2016 8:56 AM, Eagle wrote:

I put $20 of gas in my van Monday at $1.59 a gallon. I nearly had 3/4 of a tank!
--
Maggie

Muggles expressed precisely :

Isn't that a shame? I remember filling My 1969 Roadrunners 20 gallon tank with premium gas for $7.20! If it was a gas war, gas was .18c a gallon!
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 3:03:14 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

The main advantage of higher gas prices is that it doesn't take as long to put $20 in your tank. Just think of all the time you're saving. ;-)
DerbyDad03 explained :

I don't wait for the spout to auto shut off now, I look at the dollar amount and shut it off at $50.00 now. :/ I use 102 octane aircraft fuel for My C10 and get it in 5 gallon plastic containers.
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 2:16:50 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not a good reason.
We are praying for you.