Oreck vacs

Spouse hounding me for one of those expensive cleaners. I am unable to find other vendors than Oreck direct. Anyone know of Oreck discounters or does the old guy have market all tied up? Are they really worth it or is it the power of advertising? Any knockoffs? Seamus J..Wilson

find
Ask a pro cleaner. Most will tell you the Oreck is overpriced. There are other vacs on the market that will do a better job.
<< Are they really worth it or is it the power of advertising? >>
Consumer Reports has recent articles covering home vacs. Very enlightening, so worth checking out before you buy. IIRC, Hoover was among the better machines, and bagless types seemed somewhat lacking. HTH
Joe
I appreciate the informative responses. Seamus J.

enlightening, so

machines,
<< rant on >> I have a bagless Kenmore and most likely will never buy a bagless again. I make a royal mess whenever I empty the dust bin and really miss the containment of a bag. Also, the unit is far from perfect catching dust which almost cost me the electric motor. I noticed that it was not pulling very well and that the air coming out was very hot. I cleaned the dust bin and the HEPA filter, but there was little improvement. After taking the whole thing apart I found another filter on the exhaust side which is not mentioned in the manual. I had to take the motor cover off to get to it. After a year of usage was clogged solid (no surprise here) and cleaning it fixed the problem. I guess this makes the 90 day Sears warranty a valid policy...
<< rant off >>
--

EJ
"Joe Bobst" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com...
I snipped everything that I didn't think was relevant.... guess who doesn't like Shears?
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Yeah well... Sears lost a sense of direction so long ago that I forgot it had one. I really have a problem when the "free" warranty lasts as long as the merchendise remains in the store.
EJ
:)Spouse hounding me for one of those expensive cleaners. I am unable to find :)other vendors than Oreck direct. :)Anyone know of Oreck discounters or does the old guy have market all tied :)up? Are they really worth it or is it the power of advertising? :)Any knockoffs? :)Seamus J..Wilson :)
I've had good luck using this site:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www /
Sligo writes:

Pure huckster hyping. It's an ordinary item sold like something special, with a price to match.
Same deal with Bose "wave radio". Look, it's just a $39 boom box, OK? Magificently puffed, though.
Pretty much anything sold via Paul Harvey or Rush Limbaugh programming.
I have been using Oreck vac about 2years now and not impressed much.
It is very light and easy to handle. That's about yet. Roller gets tangled by dog hair bad I had to replace it. Stores like K-mart Wal-Mart don't have Oreck parts (even bags or belt) you have to buy at Oreck store or direct mail order. Local Oreck store usually double or triple charge for those belt and bags. I asked Oreck head quarter about those prices they said each store has right to price what ever they want to not corporate thing. I buy those items at E-bay which is not genuine product because of that ridiculous price. If this one dies I will never buy Oreck again.

find
I looked at the Oreck products at a local Oreck store. They appeared to be the cheapest products on the market. Their car vac ($95) looked like a $5 toy. I saw a article recently (maybe Consumer Reports, but not sure) that rated dozens of vacs, and rated Oreck at the very bottom.
I truly believe that Oreck spends more money on tv advertising than they do on their commercials.
--James--
Say what you want about their construction but we have one for 12 years now. Works very well and offered no problems at all. Still on the original belt.

be
$5
do

now.
belt.
12 years is a very long time in the appliance world. Most products have been cheapened so much they no longer resemble or work like their older counterparts. You'd probably not recognize the new models as being the same brand if you put your next to it.

My husband bought the hand-held vac and I don't like it at all. It's powerful but it doesn't switch easily from using one tool to another. A pain, in my opinion. Pat
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) wrote in

I don't think any of the Orecks are what their cracked up to be. A couple of years ago we bought their top model upright. Every other time we vacuumed we had to replace the belt as it had worn. No explanation from the local Oreck repair service. We sold it at a yard sale and bought a Hoover.
Wayne